Youth Will Out (Giro 2014)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2014
42x16ss said:
There's also the likes of Dennis, Kwiatkowski, Talansky, Chaves and Morton amongst the current pros. In U23 racing results don't always guarantee success at pro level, there's usually many who "underdeliver" (such as Romain Sicard) and "overdeliver" (eg: Andy Schleck) if all you look at is the U23 results and performances.
I agree that the pattern between u23 racing and professionals is not always been verry clear in history. However in the last few years there were some neo sprinters who performed really well in u23 racing and also from their first pro race as well, think about Bouhanni, Demare, Sagan, Petit, Fenn, Blythe, Kristoff, Hofland, Coquard, Guardini and so on. It seems that this pattern in 2013 and 2014 also counts for the GC riders, because Quintana, Aru and Kelderman break through (this Giro). That also counts last year for riders like Pinot, Barguil, Bardet and Kwiatkowski.

Thus assuming that the times are changed (maybe due to the ban of doping?); Is the next generation GC riders (after 1992) just as promising as the mentioned riders? Or are we dealing with a verry verry strong generation?

And in case there is already in new strong generation GC riders coming up? I am wondering who they might be? Because I only recognized Kudus, Mohoric, Vervaeke, Benoot, Geoghegan, Herklotz and Power as potentials, from which I doubt if they will be GC riders.

ASK THE COMMUNITY