• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Zajicek promoted to Pegasus

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Talk like this on Velonews gets the comments shut-off. They liken it to publishing the name of a rape victim (I'm serious).

That's why I don't post on Velonews anymore...they cave to some kind of Colorado cycling-sycophant mentality. They hire their writers based on how many miles a week they train rather than if they have a quality curriculum vitae. And the lack of quality content on their website shows it.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Talk like this on Velonews gets the comments shut-off. They liken it to publishing the name of a rape victim (I'm serious).

Phil Zajicek got the promotion because he demonstrated he is willing to get on the program and by way of contesting his dopa-charge and beating it....he's shown to the Omerta at the top rung that he's likely to take his secrets to the grave.

Pegasus probably outbid Radio Shack.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
That's why I don't post on Velonews anymore...they cave to some kind of Colorado cycling-sycophant mentality. They hire their writers based on how many miles a week they train rather than if they have a quality curriculum vitae. And the lack of quality content on their website shows it.

Their website is often dominated by ads starring Lance ("Tired of Being Tired?") so I believe they deliberately shy-away from any serious doping coverage. They publish the stuff that they can't ignore completely.

But if you love Cyclocross coverage, they're great.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
when was this? the only time I heard of this guy was in the book racing weight (bought it when I dreamed of outclimbing my buddies) where it said what he ate during the day, kind of so that the readers could look at what a good diet is for a cyclist.
but if this happened before 2010 then the book is even crappier as I already found out it was. portraying dopers as an example to follow.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Nice - he's the guy who spilled the beans on Horner's fridge. Hilarious!

It's a tangled web of associations in U.S. Cycling. Keeping Zajicek on two wheels assures he's stays quiet for the time being, I suppose. The key is to get them so entrenched that to say anything would be to incriminate themselves.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
It seems he has a history of it:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/jan05/tdu05/?id=news/jan21zajicek

Oh, sorry, that was for "allergies".

and an interesting post from 2005 (the bit about Zajicek/Horner, please ignore the rest).

http://ccforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2992

OK, NOW I remember his name. Yes, he and the other Dopigators used to regularly spend an inordinate amount of time hanging around our pud local races in the greater NYC area so they could rack-up primes and cash purses. For a pro team, they sure spent a lot of time sandbagging at our local level. My opinion at the time was that they should have created rules stating that Pros needed to spend a higher percentage of their time racing against pro-only fields

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
OK, NOW I remember his name. Yes, he and the other Dopigators used to regularly spend an inordinate amount of time hanging around our pud local races in the greater NYC area so they could rack-up primes and cash purses. For a pro team, they sure spent a lot of time sandbagging at our local level. My opinion at the time was that they should have created rules stating that Pros needed to spend a higher percentage of their time racing against pro-only fields

Wow, that second link is one long ****. Interesting though.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
washedup said:
Wow, that second link is one long ****. Interesting though.

I like how they all jump Matt DeCanio.;)

DeCanio had posted a picture of his gf, now ex, Heather, dancing with JV at some interbike thing. I wish I could find that. Maybe it was on the SU site?

I think it was at this event that TD asked MC 'why don't you go after the Hog' who is the real problem in cycling. That was 2 or 3 years ago.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
buckwheat said:
I like how they all jump Matt DeCanio.;)

DeCanio had posted a picture of his gf, now ex, Heather, dancing with JV at some interbike thing. I wish I could find that. Maybe it was on the SU site?

I think it was at this event that TD asked MC 'why don't you go after the Hog' who is the real problem in cycling. That was 2 or 3 years ago.

One thing you can never question: Decanio has huevos the size of watermelons. He stuck his head into the p_iss stream without fear. He admitted everything without ever having been caught, was given no immunity and offered no special favors, but alternately, was never asked by anyone to reveal the bigger picture (despite his willingness to do so). They merely handed him his 2-year suspension. He's now racing with an amateur team in France. He should eventually be given a medal.

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It is sad how one guy can become completely honest (decanio), while another lies his way to a new contract.

I did notice that Zajicek had a blog that went dead in early September, as well as a twitter account hasn't been touched since the same time. He figured... "If I lay low, people will move on. Just like last time."

Sadly, people probably will.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
washedup said:
It is sad how one guy can become completely honest (decanio), while another lies his way to a new contract.

I did notice that Zajicek had a blog that went dead in early September, as well as a twitter account hasn't been touched since the same time. He figured... "If I lay low, people will move on. Just like last time."

Sadly, people probably will.

Because DeCanio is a "nutter." Not my words.

IIRC, DZ and CVDV has some choice things to say about him.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
One thing you can never question: Decanio has huevos the size of watermelons. He stuck his head into the p_iss stream without fear. He admitted everything without ever having been caught, was given no immunity and offered no special favors, but alternately, was never asked by anyone to reveal the bigger picture (despite his willingness to do so). They merely handed him his 2-year suspension. He's now racing with an amateur team in France. He should eventually be given a medal.

The jackals pointed out his poor sentence structure.:confused:

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It is hard to argue that Decanio seems like a bit of a nut... and has earned a bit of a bad rap. But my understanding of the situation (which is really limited) is that it took a year or two for him to really lose it.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
It was sort of unfortunate that Decanio was the first "champion" of coming clean. He was reckless in his approach and even though most everyone believed him, they wouldn't touch him. Sadly, not even USADA wanted anything to do with him. By the time he came clean, the downward spiral of what doping abuse can do to someone, had done so. He was very messed-up by this.

Another interesting thing is, here is a really simple "university of bike racing" guy who seems to have more in common with Vanilla Ice and Eminem than science, but he can talk extensively about hematology and chemistry in a way that would impress an MD.

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
As much as I agree and support the ideas Decanio is presenting and trying to champion, he does not come across as the right type of figure to support anti-doping in the USA.

If he were to change his image just slightly from his semi violent and militant style he would gain a tremendous amount of respect. The terms he uses on his website, such as "shut 'em down soldier" are more reminiscent of a violent gang or terrorist organization than a realistic anti-doping campaign. He has also used images of firearms on his site in the past, which to me at least is a little disturbing.

Once again, I must reiterate that I DO support what he is trying to do, but I do not like the way he is going about it. One of the main reasons JV has been able to gain a public eye for his "anti-doping" campaign has been because he has marketed himself well to the media. Even here on the forums most people are less likely to listen to a person who rants and seems violent either for or against a professional rider. If Decanio was willing to tone down this image I think he would be listened to and supported more publicly. He doesn’t need to tone down his message or cave to media pressure, he just needs to come across in a more publicly appropriate manor.

I hope my point seems clear...

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
OK....

So back to the point.... wow! Even in the clinic the court of public opinion doesn't seem to care about Zajicek. I guess it doesn't matter if a rider has a secret trial after being caught purchasing dope on the internet.

If it can happen in these times, it must have happened before.

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
I think the issue is that Zajicek has not made a big enough a name to be remembered by the general public. Its like Chodroff or Piepoli, occasionally their name will come up in discussion in certain groups, but for the most part they are no going to be remembered or cared about. It seems like a lot of people see guys with few/no results getting caught and assume they were doping just to live a pathetic dream of being in the pro ranks.

It is a shame that the UCI rulings are not taken seriously at all. No matter what the outcome of the final case there seems to be no forgiveness for the acquitted cyclist. For example; Ricco’s girlfriend was acquitted but most people here still consider her a doper who slipped through the cracks of the system. Not saying that isnt likely, but it just seems that is the way it will always be if a rider is accused.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
chase196126 said:
I think the issue is that Zajicek has not made a big enough a name to be remembered by the general public. Its like Chodroff or Piepoli, occasionally their name will come up in discussion in certain groups, but for the most part they are no going to be remembered or cared about. It seems like a lot of people see guys with few/no results getting caught and assume they were doping just to live a pathetic dream of being in the pro ranks.

It is a shame that the UCI rulings are not taken seriously at all. No matter what the outcome of the final case there seems to be no forgiveness for the acquitted cyclist. For example; Ricco’s girlfriend was acquitted but most people here still consider her a doper who slipped through the cracks of the system. Not saying that isnt likely, but it just seems that is the way it will always be if a rider is accused.

in her case it aint hard to imagine she slipped through the crack. her boyfriend got done for CERA and her brother got done for supplying PEDs!!!!!

washedup said:
OK....

So back to the point.... wow! Even in the clinic the court of public opinion doesn't seem to care about Zajicek. I guess it doesn't matter if a rider has a secret trial after being caught purchasing dope on the internet.

If it can happen in these times, it must have happened before.

That's because in the cesspit of pro-cycling, Zajicek is just a piece of sweetcorn that no-one has heard of, he's barely bigger outide the US than those US masters that were recently busted. There are bigger turds out there that need flushing.

I just hope that a certain French person didn't get a similar deal, it would be a shame for that person to get off after years of taking the pi55.

A

Anonymous

Roland Rat said:
I just hope that a certain French person didn't get a similar deal, it would be a shame for that person to get off after years of taking the pi55.

If its the same french person im thinking about, not a chance, that will be covered up better than a roman coin in a coalmine.

TRENDING THREADS