Zdenek Stybar Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
DirtyWorks said:
He REEAAALLLLYY missed that turn. IMHO, he tends to be mentally 'fragile.' If things are going okay, he's extraordinary. A little unexpected something seems to take him out of that super-fast mind space.
He likes taking risks when he feels he's losing it.

 
wiggos sideburn said:
Just watched the highlights no way was Stybar at fault for getting hit by the fan. The fan was obviously trying to get a picture of cancellara's back and pretty much pushed Stybar you can see the guys camera go flying
Exactly. Given how outstretched her arm was it wouldn't have mattered even if they'd been more towards the cobbles. Also just a second later an idiot with a Belgian flag jumps out into the middle of the road causing Vanmarcke and Cancellara to swerve past him. These are the biggest races of these guys careers. Show some ****ing respect.
 
Pentacycle said:
He likes taking risks when he feels he's losing it.

Zdenek Stybar @zdenekstybar

Damn, damn, damn, damn, from this action I'll sleep soooo bad. I'm very sorry to Jan. It was my mistake and I fully accept 4th place! #sorry
He was simply too fast going. He deserve this win. I'm very happy he is all right. Enjoy the win Jan! You were very strong!
 
Jul 4, 2011
1,475
0
0
Quickly becoming a OPQS fan. Impressed by Kwiatovski and now Stybar who I thought was man of the day today. And although VanMarcke's choice of tactics was curious a fantastic ride nonetheless.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,845
0
0
Netserk said:
IMO spectators who cause a crash should be fined. €10,000 would be fine.
+1, most definitely. Maybe that would make them be more aware of the riders, and teach them to...get out of the riders way!
 
Apr 7, 2013
13
0
0
Afrank said:
+1, most definitely. Maybe that would make them be more aware of the riders, and teach them to...get out of the riders way!
The first guy that went down has admitted he was riding in the wrong place and had he ridden down the middle, would likely have been on the podium. In both crashes, the spectators were off the road. If you don't want the spectators there, the races will be disappearing like they are in Italy. The Belgian fans have been spectating for a very long time. They aren't noob Americans who run along side riders to get on TV. They were standing there cheering. The riders try to take advantage of the dry conditions and ride on the shoulders. As Hushovd. He got three flats he deserved for riding there too. He was lucky not to hit a fan.
 
Mar 17, 2012
1,069
0
0
When the riders pass in the afternoon, many fans on the side of the road are already drunk. That´s the reason why things like on Sunday happen.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,845
0
0
spookyload said:
The first guy that went down has admitted he was riding in the wrong place and had he ridden down the middle, would likely have been on the podium. In both crashes, the spectators were off the road. If you don't want the spectators there, the races will be disappearing like they are in Italy. The Belgian fans have been spectating for a very long time. They aren't noob Americans who run along side riders to get on TV. They were standing there cheering. The riders try to take advantage of the dry conditions and ride on the shoulders. As Hushovd. He got three flats he deserved for riding there too. He was lucky not to hit a fan.
So basically your saying we should just let the fans get in the riders way. I never said I didn't want spectators there, I said they need to make sure to give the riders plenty of room and stay out of their way.
With Vandenbergh, the collision was his fault. But Stybar's collision, from what I saw, was the fault of the fan. Don't get me wrong, I also would prefer to see them riding directly on the cobbles instead of the side. But as long as the riders are riding on the side the fans need to make sure they stay out of their way and give them plenty of room to get by.
 
Dec 27, 2010
6,674
0
0
Some 'fans' simply underestimate how quickly the leaders are going to come past.
 
If stybar and gaudin never win a classic on cobbles i will be very suprised both showing signs of a future winner, and turgot also.

But stybar surely had chance to contend he covered fabs attack so well it was impressive the guy can ride.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Stybar showed Boom how it's done. Boom has to scratch himself behind the ears now...
Meh, Stybar was at the level Boom had the last two years in Roubaix. This year Boom wasn't great, that's true.

I can however see Stybar winning this race sooner than Boom, as he always has been the one with more drive and character.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
I hope he wins some races this year. I even cheered against all the Belgians when he was riding cyclocross. :D

With the exception of a WC where the national bias takes over again. :p

Very friendly guy, the only bad story about him I ever heard is the one with his first host parents when he came to Belgium, but that's all.

He'll most likely be a domestique if Boonen is back next year though. Scary thought of a domestique being this good. Anyway, it's time for a regime change: Boom, Stybar, Sagan, Phinney, Vanmarcke, etc need to step up their game next year and defeat the kings.
 
JRanton said:
Exactly. Given how outstretched her arm was it wouldn't have mattered even if they'd been more towards the cobbles. Also just a second later an idiot with a Belgian flag jumps out into the middle of the road causing Vanmarcke and Cancellara to swerve past him. These are the biggest races of these guys careers. Show some ****ing respect.
Like or not, the fans are going to have to be OK with some more barriers. They are running big risks to themselves and the racers.

The CN review suggests it's partly the riders fault for not riding on the crown. Seriously? I mean, really? That is just a plain dumb statement.
 
Aug 17, 2009
62
0
0
Stybar was just wheel-sucking.
The other two were sharing efforts whereas he simply wanted to hold Cancellara's wheel and do nothing.... he even muscled the other rider in the break of Cancellara's wheel less than a minute before the crash.... to do what?... to do nothing
Fortunately he was last in line again when he got bopped by the spectator... the result was that it made for a really honourable finish, the final 10km were splendid without him tagging on the back like an unwanted piece of fish-and-chips wrapping paper.
However I was sorry to see his team-mate 3mins earlier as he was contributing to the race.
 
Gaul 58 said:
Stybar was just wheel-sucking.
The other two were sharing efforts whereas he simply wanted to hold Cancellara's wheel and do nothing.... he even muscled the other rider in the break of Cancellara's wheel less than a minute before the crash.... to do what?... to do nothing
Yeah, but holding Cancellara's wheel looked more effortless for him than anyone else in the race, even Vanmarcke. If Stybar had made it to the velodrome with them, he would have done everything right. Clearly he had the good luck of not being taken seriously enough by his competitors; will be interesting how he handles the race next year.
 
Apr 2, 2013
769
0
0
I’ve said elsewhere that this wasn’t the exciting edition for me that it was for others however Stybar had me moving to the edge of my seat.

At no point could I see past Cancellara winning however for a brief moment the combination of the two seemed to offer the possibility with Vanmarcke prepared to push and Stybar playing his role by sitting (comfortably as already said) on Fabian’s wheel.

It was building up for an exciting finish (just imagine if Stybar had also been there in the velodrome, favourite for the sprint!) only for it to be taken away by a fan however I’m not sold that barriers are the answer, they keep the fans back and keep the riders on the cobbles but this could only be used for key areas.
 
Apr 10, 2011
4,819
0
0
Bushman said:
Is Stybar riding the Ardennes? I think Amstel might suit him pretty well, LBL is probably too hard. What about F-W?
Nope, just saw the startlists. He's taking a break now and will hope to get into Tour suqad he says.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY