• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Zdenek Stybar Thread

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Zdenek Stybar Discussion Thread

What a ride by him, can't help to feel very sad for him :( Should have podiumed his first Robuaix ever... at least.

Only one that could follow Cancellara outright today at the end and looked great till then..

Well that definitely shows his immense talent.

Can he perform during Ardennes as well ?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He did very well today, if only he hadn't had that problem he would have had a great chance at the win. I'm sure we'll see him up there on the podium more than once in the future.

What caused his problem? Commentators said someone on Twitter said that a guy in the crowd hit him in the face with a camera?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
He did very well today, if only he hadn't had that problem he would have had a great chance at the win. I'm sure we'll see him up there on the podium more than once in the future.

What caused his problem? Commentators said someone on Twitter said that a guy in the crowd hit him in the face with a camera?

Same as Vanderbergh, got hit by a fan........

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
Why? He was the best sprinter.

On the road he was the most inexperienced especially in a race like Paris Roubaix. On paper Vanmarcke is a better sprinter than Cancellara, experience helped Cancellara beat Vanmarkce

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Why? He was the best sprinter.

Vanmarcke was the better sprinter on paper, but Cancellara was still very fast despite closing all the gaps like usual after a hard race. I doubt Stybar could've won in a three-way sprint, but IMO he was the 2nd best today from what we've seen.

I stick to what I've always said.

Stybar should get back to cyclocross. He's a star, there. Here on the road, he's shown his limits by making two clear-mindedness mistakes in the finale.

It was a nice effort but I don't see him making a step further on the road. It was a nice effort and he was right to give it a try but you'd better be a cyclocross star than a domestique on the road.

Pentacycle said:
Vanmarcke was the better sprinter on paper, but Cancellara was still very fast despite closing all the gaps like usual after a hard race. I doubt Stybar could've won in a three-way sprint, but IMO he was the 2nd best today from what we've seen.
If Vanmarcke and Canc had ridden side by side in the sprint, Vanmarcke would have won.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Echoes said:

Stybar should get back to cyclocross. He's a star, there. Here on the road, he's shown his limits by making two clear-mindedness mistakes in the finale.

It was a nice effort but I don't see him making a step further on the road. It was a nice effort and he was right to give it a try but you'd better be a cyclocross star than a domestique on the road.

This is just the beginning for Stybar. You heard it here first, in the coming years we will see him take some kind of major win on the cobbles. ;)
2014/15/16 Paris-Roubaix champion? I could see that.

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Echoes said:

I disagree getting hit by a fan when you're sitting on Cancellara's wheel is bad luck. And considering he was the only person to stick with Cancellara's attack from a group which had the likes of Eisel, Terpstra, Flecha etc shows he could be a contender to win a race like this in the future.

Echoes said:

He's likely never going back now. Anyway, I believe he has much more road potential than that. I don't think he has to be a domestique, though he might have to switch teams to truly be a leader.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Echoes said:

It's not the best timing saying this after such s promising ride.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Pentacycle said:

Nope on paper Stybar is.

Anyway Stybar is awesome. A rider you can't hate.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:

You say that just after he proved he can be a star on the road too?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:

You're actually serious aren't you.

Very serious.

So far, Paris-Roubaix aside, he's only been a domestique. Even a domestique for Cavendish in Milan-Sanremo while he normally should be a better climber.

I've been following Stybar since his 2005 9th spot at the Giro delle Regioni, which was the best thing he could've done on the road as a U23, and more closely since 2007 in the prairies and I can safely say that he can be a decent roadie but not a big star as he can be in cyclocross. Niels Albert has more ability for the road. Boom too.

And I'm fed up with all this 'bad luck' matter. He could easily have avoided this spectator if he were still fresh. De Vlaeminck has always said "In Paris-Roubaix, crashes and punctures are not bad luck, it's a matter of clear-mindedness".

His missing a turn a bit further (he, the cyclocrosser !) and that he lost much time on a short distance shows that he was burnt out. It's crystal clear.

Great race by him in his first P-R. I expected more from him in Omloop and DDV because he said he'll target them but nevertheless salvaged his classics season.

He's versatile too and can handle the short steep hills as he showed in Oman.
Definitely should continue his career on the road.

Echoes is probably jealous that the much wider road racing fans gets to witness his talents rather than the tiny bit of Dutch and Belgian Cyclo Cross fans.

TRENDING THREADS