• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Zdenek Stybar Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
nice story

Styby ftw :)

550-PIC488100694.jpg

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Stybar is OUT of Eneco after a truly gnarly forward somersault while being pinched into the side barriers by a group that was trying to avoid a crash to their right, as they approached the finish line!:(
Z Stybar off to the hospital, immediately.....

so Styby is more or less OK - according himself. His own teeth were supposedly put back during the surgery led by the best plastic surgeon in Belgium (according to Styby's father).
Also, Styby is determined to start the Vuelta next week (as stated by his father).
So good news, I guess :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Glad to hear he's okay and he wants to start the Vuelta. Good commitment there. :)

Wtf is that even realistic?

He cut his lips apperently, i remember that when my lips were a bit cut, it hurt like a *****. I can only imagine what pain he must have felt.

A true fighter.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Glad that I'm the first to post today, because I hadn't got much faith in this guy. I was very wrong. Congratulations for today's ride, he rode like a true champion!

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I wonder why he never had a really good result at de ronde...despite that he has better abilities for rvv than PR imho;)

Because Lefevere never made him leader maybe.

And because he is no Boonen, or no Belgian you can say. And he rode it just twice.

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
Yeah, if he was on a different team he'd win Flanders and Roubaix.

...Then there was the year he was looking strong in the winning move ('13 if I recall, with Fabian and Sep) and a spectator took him out. Oddly, I think the same thing happened to Terpstra a few km later.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
nepetalactone said:
...Then there was the year he was looking strong in the winning move ('13 if I recall, with Fabian and Sep) and a spectator took him out. Oddly, I think the same thing happened to Terpstra a few km later.

It was indeed '13. But it was Vandenbergh, not Terpstra -- and ?tybar's incident was the second, not the first.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I wonder why he never had a really good result at de ronde...despite that he has better abilities for rvv than PR imho;)
He thinks the same about his own abilities.
But honestly, RvV isn't just about quality, you need experience on those roads, you even need experience in RvV.

Even thoug he's 29 already, I still coun't him as a young guy on the road.
Last time a young guy won on the road was 22 years ago, with Jacky Durand, but that was after a monster escape. The last real one was 26 years ago with Van Hooidonck!

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara's first 2 RvVs: 73 & 41 (first top 10 at 4th try)
Boonens first: 24 & 25 (first top 10 at 4th try)
Devolder: 53 & 21 (first top 10 at 5th try)
Van Petegem: 97 & 17 (first top 10 at 3th try)

I know it's not a completely fair comparison, since they all were much younger n their first RvVs, but Boonen for example was 3th in his first roubaix, 24th in RvV the same year.
Roubaix is a much 'easier' race in terms of tactics.

Out of the group of 4 leaders I liked all but one to win the race and like I said during the race I probably cursed the 3 I liked and I did :)

I feel nothing for Stybar, but I think the main reason is that he rides for Etixx/Quickstep. Maybe him beating Dumoulin at the Eneco tour and being the better of Boom who is also from cyclocross doesn't help for me as well.

He was great yesterday though.

TRENDING THREADS