• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chris Horner is torching knuckleheads and murdering everyone's name

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Remco won the Vuelta, how is het not ready for a TdF than? Should he win a Giro first?
Because in that case Tadej is not ready for another TdF

Well, i feel that Remco is ready to go to the Tour. Winning it or not in 2024. Considering Rogla, Pogi and Jonas will most likely attempt to win the Tour 2024. Here it will be interesting to see if Remco will decide to undergo Tour or some other GT in 2024, with SOQ.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTIaNihTHMM

It's talked about above but it needs a proper preview link as it's just that good. (Storytelling is where Horner really shines imo.) Very eye opening video.
Thanks for recommending it—very informative. Would be interesting to know how story went for a U.S. rider like Will Barta and others who’ve raced in Europe for a long time as doms but never had the success to earn a big payday?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTIaNihTHMM

It's talked about above but it needs a proper preview link as it's just that good. (Storytelling is where Horner really shines imo.) Very eye opening video.
I agree that Horner is a good storyteller. The fact he makes obvious sentence-structure errors without correction or editing makes me believe he is talking off the top of his head.
He has a lot to say, but he ignored my question in the comment section: Why don't top-tier professional riders form a union? Cycling seems to be the only professional league without a union, and these riders definitely need one.

This guy made a couple of bike racing documentary features that I think both include Chris Horner. I am a bit puzzled by some of the data about Jamie, who in his day was a very sound racer. Cycling news and others say something different than non cycling websites.. and man is it different.
One movie is titled The Hard Road and the other Pro. Don't see where they can be streamed but I also did not dig. The main reason I mention it is I would love to see and hear the side by side differences between today's 2023 Horner and the much, much younger version..

I agree that Horner is a good storyteller. The fact he makes obvious sentence-structure errors without correction or editing makes me believe he is talking off the top of his head.
He has a lot to say, but he ignored my question in the comment section: Why don't top-tier professional riders form a union? Cycling seems to be the only professional league without a union, and these riders definitely need one.
Yes a union very much needed!

I'm inclined to like Horner - grew up in San Diego like him and have followed his career from the start. He was in classic Horner form in his FW review - not sure the Peacock crew will appreciate it. If he can get over his odd infatuation with the "Big Guy" and his related bitterness towards MVDP, his analysis will be the best in the business. Saying stupid sh__ like Pidcock is a better CX bike handler than MVDP doesn't help his credibility either.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
I'm inclined to like Horner - grew up in San Diego like him and have followed his career from the start. He was in classic Horner form in his FW review - not sure the Peacock crew will appreciate it. If he can get over his odd infatuation with the "Big Guy" and his related bitterness towards MVDP, his analysis will be the best in the business. Saying stupid sh__ like Pidcock is a better CX bike handler than MVDP doesn't help his credibility either.
I thought his Flèche review was one of the better ones—for instance pointing out Un0-X riders did attack several
Times to try to use their numerical advantage prior to final ascent.
Does he always rip into VandeVeld like that ?

Reactions: Escarabajo

I'm in no way suggesting you are wrong, but out of curiosity, did Horner provide examples why Pidcock is a better CX bike handler? If so, how does his opinion differ from yours?

I'm in no way suggesting you are wrong, but out of curiosity, did Horner provide examples why Pidcock is a better CX bike handler? If so, how does his opinion differ from yours?
He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't watch CX, so he didn't provide much in the way of specific examples. His rationale was Pidcock must be a better bike handler than MVDP (and Wout) to compete with him given the power disadvantage. My response was that I was surprised a former elite WT pro would consider going 3-52 against someone in a head to head sport "competing". Honestly, anyone who watches CX and doesn't appreciate how MVDP is simply on his own level in terms of bike handling is just blind - carrying speed through corners, clearing lines no one else can, etc. And of course pure power does play a big role in bike handling when you are talking about things like sand where MVDP literally makes Piddy look like a little boy playing in a sandbox. But I don't doubt that Chris doesn't watch CX...

He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't watch CX, so he didn't provide much in the way of specific examples. His rationale was Pidcock must be a better bike handler than MVDP (and Wout) to compete with him given the power disadvantage. My response was that I was surprised a former elite WT pro would consider going 3-52 against someone in a head to head sport "competing". Honestly, anyone who watches CX and doesn't appreciate how MVDP is simply on his own level in terms of bike handling is just blind - carrying speed through corners, clearing lines no one else can, etc. And of course pure power does play a big role in bike handling when you are talking about things like sand where MVDP literally makes Piddy look like a little boy playing in a sandbox. But I don't doubt that Chris doesn't watch CX...
How about descending though? The skills seem similar but different, and Pidcock’s size could be ideal for even better maneuvering on the descents. His smaller stature is like having a dropper post built into his body. They’re both good enough to be equivalent by road standards in my book at least.

I thought his Flèche review was one of the better ones—for instance pointing out Un0-X riders did attack several
Times to try to use their numerical advantage prior to final ascent.
Does he always rip into VandeVeld like that ?
Yeah, the VDV thing was getting a little bizarre. It seems like Horner is kind've in the Armstrong camp, and Roll and VDV are definitely in it. So interesting to see him completely bag on VDV. Horner definitely seems like a bit of a wildcard though. Says a lot of stuff just to get a reaction. The greatest interview would be Horner and MVDP. MVDP is such humble, laid back guy "off the field", but it would be funny to know if he has gotten any whiff of the way Horner discounts his accomplishments.

• Haha
Reactions: noob and Sciatic
How about descending though? The skills seem similar but different, and Pidcock’s size could be ideal for even better maneuvering on the descents. His smaller stature is like having a dropper post built into his body. They’re both good enough to be equivalent by road standards in my book at least.
Sure, on the road I would call them equal - with Piddy using his skills to better advantage to this point with that sick descent that effectively got him the stage win at the TDF. That said, in a race like 2021 PR in the wet, a severely compromised MVDP (poor prep, bad back) was able to sprint for the win because he was taking seconds on guys out of every corner. IF he is 100% healthy in that race he would have made a mockery of that PR. As for descending, while Piddy has the "closer to the ground" advantage, MVDP's size and power is an advantage too. Great MVDP deep cut folks forget is that he caught and passed Mohoric on the last long descent at Lombardia in 2020 trying in vain to catch back on the front...

Yeah, the VDV thing was getting a little bizarre. It seems like Horner is kind've in the Armstrong camp, and Roll and VDV are definitely in it. So interesting to see him completely bag on VDV. Horner definitely seems like a bit of a wildcard though. Says a lot of stuff just to get a reaction. The greatest interview would be Horner and MVDP. MVDP is such humble, laid back guy "off the field", but it would be funny to know if he has gotten any whiff of the way Horner discounts his accomplishments.
Wow, I have seen Horner from a junior to old man" sitting on his chesterfield ". He doesn't call the races from still photos..obviously.. but he does have studio experience, so he has made the most of what he saw at NBC, including some understanding of lawyers. Horner is not going to use copyright protected video and then end up getting in trouble, worldwide. I don't see Horner as belittling anyone's abilities or accomplishments. Sure it come off that way but ultimately, that's not his thing.
A quick resume review, I am talking from way way back, Horner doesn't look to hold grudges or stand in judgement of other bike racers and personal or professional mistakes they made. I have respect for people wherever they fall on the Lance Armstrong spectrum.
I personally peed my pants when Armstrong was seen as king doper and Roberto Gaggioli as a victim.. or the long list of cheaters that did it with respect like Vandevelde, Andreau, and a long shopping list of others who are somehow less guilty because they are less famous. Horner knows the sport,he knows the score and still being friends with Lance and the rest is completely logical.
Horner's ex teammate lists are colorful let's say.
And as the thread says Horner butchers the names of riders, I enjoy his pronunciation

Wow, I have seen Horner from a junior to old man" sitting on his chesterfield ". He doesn't call the races from still photos..obviously.. but he does have studio experience, so he has made the most of what he saw at NBC, including some understanding of lawyers. Horner is not going to use copyright protected video and then end up getting in trouble, worldwide. I don't see Horner as belittling anyone's abilities or accomplishments. Sure it come off that way but ultimately, that's not his thing.
A quick resume review, I am talking from way way back, Horner doesn't look to hold grudges or stand in judgement of other bike racers and personal or professional mistakes they made. I have respect for people wherever they fall on the Lance Armstrong spectrum.
I personally peed my pants when Armstrong was seen as king doper and Roberto Gaggioli as a victim.. or the long list of cheaters that did it with respect like Vandevelde, Andreau, and a long shopping list of others who are somehow less guilty because they are less famous. Horner knows the sport,he knows the score and still being friends with Lance and the rest is completely logical.
Horner's ex teammate lists are colorful let's say.
And as the thread says Horner butchers the names of riders, I enjoy his pronunciation
Wow, if you’re talking guilt it’s absurd to see as other riders just as guilty as Armstrong. He was prosecuted in court and indeed he committed fraudulent behavior with the cycling community and the American public. Yes, being famous was part of it, but he wielded that fame to obtain power beyond the reach of other riders.

Wow, if you’re talking guilt it’s absurd to see as other riders just as guilty as Armstrong. He was prosecuted in court and indeed he committed fraudulent behavior with the cycling community and the American public. Yes, being famous was part of it, but he wielded that fame to obtain power beyond the reach of other riders.
In no way trying to defend him. I just going to point out he was never prosecuted. Investigated and brought before a Grand Jury but the investigation was dropped without charges being filed.