• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

De Ronde van Vlaanderen (270.8 km), 2024 March 31 (Sunday)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haven't read the commentary. But I will go with WvA on this one. His spring campaign has been geared towards the next 2 weeks.

Poel loses a bit of shape. Pedersen can bag it as well but comes just a bit too late when it really matters on one of the kickers.

Trentin had looked good. Politt. Lazkano.

Reactions: Sandisfan
and yet I still wonder what happens, say Visma and Trek send guys out ahead.
And MVDP's team can't help it. And he attacks and they sit on his wheel. And then MVDP just says "ok, then we all don't win, I have 2 of these RVV's already". Will Wout and Pedersen or Stuyven (who also wont get a pass) keep sitting in?

I really wonder.
If they have a strong, rather than a middling teammate up front, yes they will and we could get a Van Summeran-type result. But that still seems unlikely here because the finishing circuit is so hard that it’s so difficult for anyone to stay out ahead of the strongest riders. Even if MVDP rode the way you hypothesized, he would still go gonzo on the final Oude Kwaremont regardless of who is on his wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Really looking forward to how this plays out. And really hard to look at this past weekend for any particular give-away sign.

I still suspect that Wout might have issues with the distance and the helligen. But I don't think any of us have seen the result of his recent training camp yet. Not only did he crash at E3, but it really was too soon after altitude and the type of training he had been doing (i.e. not racing). His team sure looks like a wet mess right now, but that could favour him, because I don't think they've really nailed it for him in a monument yet (I could be wrong on this point).

Van der Poel looked imperious at E3, but not too amazing at GW. He also seems to have some physical tells when he is more fatigued ... that could be played up though, so I don't know if I would put all my eggs in that observation. Still, will be interesting to see how it all works out and if his long breakaway legs still exist on Sunday.

Lidl Trek have really taken over the VLAB team strength. It has been cool to see them execute.

Reactions: danielovichdk2
It's a fair point but the argument was not his road race days, but that he has had a long season already. Those 3 race days has been extremely solid but I too believe he dips a little bit on Sunday.
While this is possible I don't think so. This is the race mvdp will most want to win. He was willing to give up a shot at MSR, GW is a nothing burger to him, this and Roubaix is where it is all at, and I think Flanders is more important to him. I don't think he would have jeopardized that. At least he thinks he is peaking Sunday, surely.

That and if mvdp is cooked from GW a week ago how will Wout be feeling after racing only 3 days before...

It's a fair point but the argument was not his road race days, but that he has had a long season already. Those 3 race days has been extremely solid but I too believe he dips a little bit on Sunday.
14 one-hour efforts in 50 days, then 40 days of resting and training, and then 3 days of racing, and you call that a long season already?
Mads Pedersen already had 20 days of racing in less than 2 months...

14 one-hour efforts in 50 days, then 40 days of resting and training, and then 3 days of racing, and you call that a long season already?
Mads Pedersen already had 20 days of racing in less than 2 months...
Mads is peaking differently. Didn’t race cyclocross

And to your point, Pedersen will not win Flanders. Maybe dwars if he really tries. Milan will do better than Mads.

I’ll eat my other hat if I’m not right

While this is possible I don't think so. This is the race mvdp will most want to win. He was willing to give up a shot at MSR, GW is a nothing burger to him, this and Roubaix is where it is all at, and I think Flanders is more important to him. I don't think he would have jeopardized that. At least he thinks he is peaking Sunday, surely.

That and if mvdp is cooked from GW a week ago how will Wout be feeling after racing only 3 days before...
Whoa!! Haha.

You play too many video games Holmes

MVP went too deep at GW. The gaddam peloton would have caught him if Mads didn’t drag him to the line

Wout would be stupid to race for the win at dwars. That’s what is perplexing about koolj not being on hand. But whatever. Flanders is wouts target

Whoa!! Haha.

You play too many video games Holmes

MVP went too deep at GW. The gaddam peloton would have caught him if Mads didn’t drag him to the line

Wout would be stupid to race for the win at dwars. That’s what is perplexing about koolj not being on hand. But whatever. Flanders is wouts target
I don't really get why anyone would think MVDP (or any top rider) can't go deep during his peak and then go deep again a week later. He'll be totally fine for Flanders. So will Wout. It's a much shorter race.

He just put in a sterling effort 2 days after another massive, world-crushing effort at e3. I think he'll be better, not worse if he's allowed a few days of rest...

Reactions: Dekker_Tifosi
Psychologically this might be the perfect build up for Wout as his team is acknowledged to be well below strength so they won’t have the whole peloton keying off them as they would if opening weekend had continued its form path and everyone is rightfully gushing about Van Der Poel currently allowing him to go slightly under the radar.

The overwhelming expectation that has sunk him in the past such as Leuven worlds won’t be there unless he goes out and does a flashy performance in DDV which would be unwise imo.