• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dwars Door Vlaanderen (188.6 km) goes straight through Flanders

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It doesnt make sense to expect Jorgenson to close the gap to his own team mate..?

It's about bluffing. Küng has to understand Jorgenson is Visma's leader in that situation. Benoot is merely bait. If Benoot goes up the road with someone else, so be it. But dragging Jorgenson back was only going to end one way (a Jorgenson attack) & it predictably happened.

Visma would rather have Jorgenson go solo to the line than Benoot in a two man sprint.

Seems from this angle like WVA just overlaps the wheel?
Yeah, that's what Benoot has explained. Apparently, van Aert wanted them to go faster, which makes Benoot stand up. There is a yell a few seconds before the crash - is that van Aerrt? I can't see if it's Benoot who moves to the side (in the clip: to the right), but that movement seems to have something to do with the accident.

Anyway, standing up while already going at 50 kph, will always be risky in a large group. I'm not sure what it will change to not include this section in future races. It's a broad road, no significant bend.

They are both to blame from what I can see. Everyone knows that standing up shoots the bike back, that's why attentive pros flap their chicken wings before they do it. Benoot did not follow protocol. Benoot also veered to his left although it's hard to tell if this is what caused the crash or a result of touching wheels and losing balance.

Meanwhile WVA should not have been that close to the rear wheel to begin with. It's the constant tension between wanting to maximize draft and minimize danger. Still you rarely see a train of riders on one team crash themselves out.

This crash wasn't just a bit of bad luck for Wout, and nor was e3. This crash was bad luck for Stuyven etc. who got caught up in it.

I think part of the mistake here is getting so agitated about potentially losing a few positions. Like, it's "Dwars door" and not "Ronde van", there is a long way to go in any case, you're there with a lot of guys, it's not the end of the world to end up in 10th position instead of 3rd before the next section.
You may be underestimating the mindset and focus of a professional cyclist at his level.

Reactions: scribers
You may be underestimating the mindset and focus of a professional cyclist at his level.
There is no point talking about improving safety standards on the one hand, but then throwing your hands up and saying "oh well, that's the mindset of a professional athlete (and their team leaders), nothing to be done about it. Gotta work around that."

Because he crashed? That's such hindsight thinking. He might have crashed in MSR or Strade. We'll never know if the plan was wrong because he didn't get to execute it. But you can't put these guys in bubble wrap. Froome and Bernal had massive crashes on training rides. Was that the wrong plan?

but MSR and Strade (which i never said he should've rode) are big races worth crashing in. and it wasn't hindsight thinking, it was my opinion that he shouldn't have ridden DDV before the race even started due to the risk of crashing and ruining his season. looks like i was right again.

• Sad
Reactions: noob
but MSR and Strade (which i never said he should've rode) are big races worth crashing in. and it wasn't hindsight thinking, it was my opinion that he shouldn't have ridden DDV before the race even started due to the risk of crashing and ruining his season. looks like i was right again.
Dwars door Vlaanderen as an appetizer for the Tour of Flanders, mainly is a quite relaxed race without as much hectic as the other big races. In fact it was extremely shy ridden this time around, until the moment Visma upped and fully overdid it!

Oh and the way the peloton swerved, maybe seconds later one rider would have seen his bike being catapulted away in that sink between the big street and the bike path anyway.

• Sad
Reactions: scribers and noob