• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Matteo Jorgenson has now outclassed his peers from the Chambery-system

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's going to ride the Olympic Race for two different U.S. teams according to PCS.
Zrzut-ekranu-2024-03-28-203054.png

Jorgenson could have easily had a chance at a podium or more, if riding smarter earlier in the race. They could have had the numbers against MVDP.

Both him and Pedersen could have not rode more for MVDP than they did, so yes... I will call it foolish.
How Jorgenson rode on Wolvenberg contributed to a group later on with Van Baarle, Benoot and Pedersen having a sizable gap that Van der Poel had to bridge across on his own. It was their best chance to win the race, and Jorgenson played his part in it.

I didn't get to see the last 45k or so.

I saw the part where VDP powered away over one of the cobbled climbs where everyone was walking.

I thought I saw Jorgensen only 5-10sec or so behind VDP but when I checked the results he was well down.

Did he blow up in his attempt to follow Mathieu?

Reactions: Sandisfan

I saw the part where VDP powered away over one of the cobbled climbs where everyone was walking.

I thought I saw Jorgensen only 5-10sec or so behind VDP but when I checked the results he was well down.

In short, yes.

He held that gap at 10s or so for a few km, but shortly blew up and was absorbed by the chasing group about a minute down. I'm not exactly sure what happened after that but he kept going backwards.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Jorgenson could have easily had a chance at a podium or more, if riding smarter earlier in the race. They could have had the numbers against MVDP.

Both him and Pedersen could have not rode more for MVDP than they did, so yes... I will call it foolish.
It's how the efforts turned out....you can backplay every fart a rider has and still not know what he ate that caused it. I'm amazed they can equalize the chaos with changing strategy and still finish a day like this. That...and Alpecin rode exceptionally and probably with a bit of good luck.
chapeau ...... a brave move nonetheless.
He could also be finding the limits of his current workload. PN, DDV both had much less pressure and his fortunes were good with general strategy. Welcome to the crosshairs, Mr. Jorgenson. No small mistake goes unpunished.

Pretty much.

Van der Poel was powering through downhill, wet corners whilst Jorgenson was very cautious. He had no chance.