• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mattias Skjelmose: The Blonde Assassin

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting article on Skjelmose (have only read the free part).

He is apparently looking to emulate Vingegaard.

I guess that takes care of the question of whether he aims to become a GT GC rider.

That question we already knew the answer to. Certainly a poster like you must have paid attention to all the times he has talked about that being the goal in the future, so thats really nothing new under the sun.

That I don't think he's able to hit the heights you need to win is another thing. I certainly think he's more talented than Fuglsang in that regard, and will do better in GTs, but I think he's very much the same type of rider

Reactions: Sandisfan
That question we already knew the answer to. Certainly a poster like you must have paid attention to all the times he has talked about that being the goal in the future, so thats really nothing new under the sun.

That I don't think he's able to hit the heights you need to win is another thing. I certainly think he's more talented than Fuglsang in that regard, and will do better in GTs, but I think he's very much the same type of rider
Well Fuglesang was a great rider, but the thing that really seperat them is "a sprint". It's just much easier to get some big wins when you have that in your toolkit.

I am becoming something of a fan, a little late to this particular party. Not just because of the way he races, but also because I've seen some interviews with him this last week and he seems like a really nice bloke. Very sunny sort of disposition and a relaxed interview manner. One question for you Danes.... what is the correct pronunciation of his surname? I know some Swedish, and the SK combination has some interesting variations .... from a sort of "Sh" to some weird sound that Stockholmers come out with. Anyway, haveing the combination SKJ is an unusual for native English speakers, so want to at least get it right.

I am becoming something of a fan, a little late to this particular party. Not just because of the way he races, but also because I've seen some interviews with him this last week and he seems like a really nice bloke. Very sunny sort of disposition and a relaxed interview manner. One question for you Danes.... what is the correct pronunciation of his surname? I know some Swedish, and the SK combination has some interesting variations .... from a sort of "Sh" to some weird sound that Stockholmers come out with. Anyway, haveing the combination SKJ is an unusual for native English speakers, so want to at least get it right.
S-k-eh-l-mose. Don't know how to really write it out, but something like that.

Reactions: armchairclimber

The "sk" sound (at the start of a word) is quite different in Danish and in Swedish.

In Swedish it's (often) an "sch" sound, while in Danish it's a hard SK.

If you google "danish swedish translation" the google translator comes up, try typing in the word "skjorte" (Danish word for "shirt"), then listen to both the Danish and Swedish pronounciation :)

The "sk" sound (at the start of a word) is quite different in Danish and in Swedish.

In Swedish it's (often) an "sch" sound, while in Danish it's a hard SK.

If you google "danish swedish translation" the google translator comes up, try typing in the word "skjorte" (Danish word for "shirt"), then listen to both the Danish and Swedish pronounciation :)
I'd say "Skj"

Try this word
"Skola"
"Skole"

And compare with
"Skjorta"
"Skjorte"

Is he better suited to Flèche or LBL? He’s favorite for Flèche apparently, he did take 2nd last year and weak field this year but still get the vibe LBL is an even better race for him.
I'm afraid he will ride too defensively and get dropped like a stone. I would like him to try and take advantage of a potential stalemate between Pog and MvdP and go early.

• Wow