• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 538 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What is that really mediocre team, I know he probably doesn't need much but if the wrong break goes in the high mountains they haven't got much to bring it back, Majka is decent but not getting any younger, Bjerg is excellent on low gradients but wont be of much use on the Mortirolo.

Should've brought Del Toro, because Almeida and Ayuso won't go/work and Yates is rightly saved for The Tour
Majka better be good. They are underestimating the other riders. We'll see. But this team looks really weak in the mountains.

What is that really mediocre team, I know he probably doesn't need much but if the wrong break goes in the high mountains they haven't got much to bring it back, Majka is decent but not getting any younger, Bjerg is excellent on low gradients but wont be of much use on the Mortirolo.

Should've brought Del Toro, because Almeida and Ayuso won't go/work and Yates is rightly saved for The Tour
It’s simple tho. Don’t let anyone dangerous in the break. And monitor how far out they are. UAE won’t be the only team not allowing a winner up the road

Most likely the same as last year with the cold vest after each stage, multiple water handlers throughout the stage to replenish, and pouring water on him throughout. It looked to go well last year besides when Pog botched the handoff and Adam had to use his water for him. Plus whatever it is Mou said they were working on.
And an added plus to help prevent any heat issues; if Vingegaard isn’t there or isn’t 100% Jumbo and UAE aren’t going to be drilling it every single stage to blow the other up.

Majka better be good. They are underestimating the other riders. We'll see. But this team looks really weak in the mountains.
Could turn into a 2015 Contador situation.
I also expect Bora and maybe Bahrain + AG2R to pull an Astana during the 2nd half of the race, try to make the Giro as hard as possible for Pogacar so that their team leaders at the Tour have a better chance.

Try to read what I wrote again
Realize I was a bit quick there but I just got stuck on the point of Pog @Base shape will beat all others @peak shape.

I would agree that at LBL, Lombardia and GTs Pog has very little competition even without being at peak form. Most likely also at SB, Amstel and some other less hillier classics. Then at RVV, MSR and PR he needs to be at his absolute best to win but he can (probably) do it.

I also expect Bora and maybe Bahrain + AG2R to pull an Astana during the 2nd half of the race, try to make the Giro as hard as possible for Pogacar so that their team leaders at the Tour have a better chance.

I find it hard to see such a situation. Bora, at least on paper doesn't look stronger than UAE and that's even before seeing DFM, who may as well be 10 minutes back by the end of week 2.
AG2R are okay, but I'd still put YAE at least on par with them.
Bahrain looks really strong, but I don't think they would play the long game, I mean they don't have someone whose main opponent will be Pogacar.

Ineos, however, may have a very good team and if Bernal performs well in Romandie, they may back him up and play the long game....but as we all know they will be mostly about control.
Visma could potentially do something.

As for Astana 2015, they had (by far?) the strongest team in the race and 2 (1..) legit contenders for the win. Unless someone steps up massively, that seems unlikely. Not to mention the route actually being horrible for such an action.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Maybe the drama of this Giro can be Pog losing a couple min from his enormous lead in the final week, giving way to endless debates about whether the double is a lock.

I see it the other way around. If he loses a few minutes on this route and this field, that could suggest he's taking it easy and is timing his peaks/efforts. If he is destroying everyone in the 3rd week, however, I would be even more doubtful for the double than I already am.

That's what I had in mind, Novak is a great diesel and can ride on rolling terrain for ages, but I can only really remember one standout high-mountain showing from him (Fedaia when he was 2nd to Covi). He was decent in Catalunya but this is a different level, and there are probably 10-15 climbers in the race better than their best doms, Majka has been nowhere this season.

They are leaving things to chance a bit with this lineup, whilst the others may start riding for podium early, if an opportunity arises to bury him, a mechanical at the wrong time, a mistake on a descent and getting caught in the valley, illness, a missed-feed or a hunger flat, if he is isolated at the point they will co-operate.

He has been dropped and had bad moments before and not having a Porte/Kuss with him is an unnecessary risk. Even if he wins by miles he won't be able to chill out in the highest of mountains and save energy for the Tour because he will have nobody with him.

That's what I had in mind, Novak is a great diesel and can ride on rolling terrain for ages, but I can only really remember one standout high-mountain showing from him (Fedaia when he was 2nd to Covi). He was decent in Catalunya but this is a different level, and there are probably 10-15 climbers in the race better than their best doms, Majka has been nowhere this season.

They are leaving things to chance a bit with this lineup, whilst the others may start riding for podium early, if an opportunity arises to bury him, a mechanical at the wrong time, a mistake on a descent and getting caught in the valley, illness, a missed-feed or a hunger flat, if he is isolated at the point they will co-operate.

He has been dropped and had bad moments before and not having a Porte/Kuss with him is an unnecessary risk. Even if he wins by miles he won't be able to chill out in the highest of mountains and save energy for the Tour because he will have nobody with him.
UAE is safe until stage 15 so Pogi only needs to build a large advantage until stage 15. With 2 time trials, the first weekend and Prati di Tivo, I can see Pogi winning more than 6 minutes.

Reactions: Sandisfan

UAE has a lot of strong guys so probably sending one more to the Giro wouldn't hurt them (hopefully Majka will be consistently strong). There could be various circumstances when having one more strong climbing teammate is important to save energy (not necessarily Pogacar's mechanical or him being dropped - it's hard to crack him without Visma LAB/Vingo power) i.e. tactical situation of chasing some potentially dangerous guys. I agree that having a stronger team would make his life more comfortable and saving some energy for the Tour more likely.

UAE has a lot of strong guys so probably sending one more to the Giro wouldn't hurt them (hopefully Majka will be consistently strong). There could be various circumstances when having one more strong climbing teammate is important to save energy (not necessarily Pogacar's mechanical or him being dropped - it's hard to crack him without JV/Vingo power) i.e. tactical situation of chasing some potentially dangerous guys. I agree that having a stronger team would make his life more comfortable and saving some energy for the Tour more likely.
This is true but looking to the squad they will bring in July. Holy Moly, they are insanely strong for the mountains. I can definetly see a scenario somewhat similar to Jumbo in 2023 Vuelta.

UAE is safe until stage 15 so Pogi only needs to build a large advantage until stage 15. With 2 time trials, the first weekend and Prati di Tivo, I can see Pogi winning more than 6 minutes.
Ha can safely ride the Giro in second chair, saving the team work to control the race, and put the hammer down on Monte Grappa. Yeah, I know, hell will freeze over before we see him ride that way.

This is true but looking to the squad they will bring in July. Holy Moly, they are insanely strong for the mountains. I can definetly see a scenario somewhat similar to Jumbo in 2023 Vuelta.

Pog's individual power at the Tour is still more important than the collective power IMO, that's why saving some energy is crucial. It's not like Roglic or Evenepoel will let UAE take top3 (like JV at the Vuelta). There could also be some inside team tensions in case Pog is not strong enough (i.e. Ayuso guy) but also some gains vs rivals regarding tactics OFC.

looking forward, saw the WC road in zurich.. man , if he has any kind of form that's basically a shoe-in for Pogi.

4400 altitude meters. 1 steep climb 1.1km, 1 longer less steep climb, both close together. I'd be amazed if he doesn't win worlds solo
Worlds is always great for Remco without the team radios, though because it’s hard to organize a chase. Furthermore, Pog definitely hasn‘t had the best results in Worlds (especially in its usual time slot). But if he finds his shape…

Pog's individual power at the Tour is still more important than the collective power IMO, that's why saving some energy is crucial. It's not like Roglic or Evenepoel will let UAE take top3 (like JV at the Vuelta). There could also be some inside team tensions in case Pog is not strong enough (i.e. Ayuso guy) but also some gains vs rivals regarding tactics OFC.
For some reason, I think Remco will implode in the Tour. Pogacar is too big and way better to be threatened by Ayuso. Galibier will be crucial to see the level of UAE. But you are right, it will all depend on Pogacar's legs.