• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Damn. I've always likes him. Great, great climber when he was atop of his career.

Me too. I was a true blue Euskatel-Euskadi fan and his Vuelta performance, what looked like a potential victory before he crashed out, would've been a true highlight for the "Carrots" and for me. His retirement announcement letter left me rather emotional. It was touching to read. I wish him happiness and success in his next adventure in life.

Re: Re:

Lexman said:
Angliru said:
tobydawq said:
I did not expect to read about the weight of Eva Longoria today...

With any mention of her or any other beautiful woman in this forum it is mandatory that it also be accompanied by a picture, simply to break up the monotony of the constant images of skinny men in tight fitting clothes. I believe there is mention of this rule in the Welcome to the forum thread. :D ;)

at first glance, she seems not skinnier than Rujano but I have to do more research on this matter
https://www.google.com/search?q=eva...vOrdAhVM-YUKHb6pAX0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=895

Thanks Lexman. A beautiful collage of Eva images.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Tanguy Turgis (20yo) forced to retire because of cardiac malfunction.

So sad.
"I suffer from an anomaly likely to worsen over time and it is forbidden to take the slightest risk, even if I can still ride at a moderate pace and share some outings with my loved ones, I can not do high-level sport and it's as if everything is falling apart.This news will change my life It's hard to accept because I like the bike above all else and I feel like I'm giving up my brothers ... "

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Cyclist Jimmy Duquennoy died last night at the age of 23. That reports his team WB-Aqua Protect-Veranclassic, who heard the sad news this morning. The young Belgian died at home.

I just read on Twitter that Robert Kišerlovski retires. Haven't seen any article confirming it though. I remember him being very unlucky in some situations, like crashing just when he seemed to get into shape. When he had a clean run he was a very strong mountain domestique.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Sestriere said:
I just read on Twitter that Robert Kišerlovski retires. Haven't seen any article confirming it though. I remember him being very unlucky in some situations, like crashing just when he seemed to get into shape. When he had a clean run he was a very strong mountain domestique.
he does.

Simone Andreetta has announced his retirement.

That's a list of the victims of the graveyard of young italians (a.k.a. Bardiani), it's a disgrace that team.

**Andreetta, retired at 25 after four years with them.
**Sterbini S., retired at 24 after four years with them.

**Boem, retired at 28 after five years with them.
**Pacinotti, retired at 22 after only one season.
**Ruffoni, you know what happened.

**Bongiono, retired at 27 after four years with them and one extra season at continental level.
**Chirico, retired at 25 after two years with them and one extra year in Turkey.
**Sterbini L., retired at 24 after one year and some months with them.

**Piechele, retired at 28 after four seasons with them plus one at continental level in between.

**Colonna, retired at 27 after only one year with them.
**De Ieso, retired at 25 after two years with them.
**Locatelli S., retired at 25 after three years with them.
**Pagani, retired at 26 after four years with them.

**Di Corrado, retired at 26 after two year with them plus one more at CLUB level.

**Locatelli P., retired at 24 after two years with them plus half season at CLUB level.
**Lombardi, retired at 24 after two years with them plus half season in Hungary.
**Savini, retired at 27 after five years with them plus some months at continental level.

**Caddeo, retired at 25 after only one year with them.
**Canuti, retired at 28 after four years with them and a cameo at WT level.
**Contoli, retired at 24 after three years with them.

**Gaia, retired at 26 after two years with them plus one at continental level.
**Pavarin, retired at 26 after two years with them and a cameo at WT level.
**Zen, retired at 24 after two years with them.

I don't think we can really blame the team, I mean they just have a very clear focus on younger Italian riders and not all of them will have what it takes to hang around in the pro scene. However I wish they'd give them a bit longer to prove themselves, I mean for example Andreetta had some okay results and he's still young.

They don't sign more neo pros than other team (usually two/three per year, sometimes four), the problem is that a lot of riders didn't progress with them or even regress after some promise at Under-23 level or sparse good results in the first year or two. And if you don't bring results after three/four years with them you are done, that mean that if you are a potential domestique signing with them mean the end of your career.

Probably at pro continental level only Novo Nordisk are a worse team that them and if you look at the Europe Tour ranking there are a lot of continental teams ahead of them, last year they finished 65th behind even some south american and asian continental team that doesn't focus on Europe Tour.

I guess those who end up at Bardiani are those who are not good enough as youngsters (say up to 21) to be confident that they will make the grade as pros, but think it is either worth the investment of time to hope that they improve, or who enjoy the lifestyle and the dream until it reaches time to seriously consider whether there is enough money to be made from the sport for it to be a longer term career.

Bardiani has in the same timescale moved Gavazzi, Marangoni, Pavarin, Belletti, Canutti, Brambilla, Pozzovivo, Modolo, Coledan, Battaglin, Colbrelli and Ciccone to higher level teams, so some riders have indeed found Bardiani to be anything but a graveyard for their ambitions. Is the success rate at other teams filling the same place in the market for riders significantly different?

Since they decided to focus only on young italians development (in 2010) the riders they really developed are only Modolo, Brambilla, Colbrelly, Battaglin and Ciccone. Gavazzi was the wrong one (see clinic related stuff), Marangoni did nothing in the two years with them, Belletti was a decent sprinter already during his first stint at Androni, Pozzovivo was there already since 2005 so his development is more a result of the previous course, Coledan at WT level was more a cameo and retired this year (not really young but nowadays at 30 you are at the supposed peak of career).
Five riders in nine years is a terrible rate if your target is to develop riders, expecially if mixed up with the two dozens retired, and they pretend every year to be at the Giro.

Maybe there is also a problem of scouting (at least compared with other teams) but they've signed also promising riders at Under-23 level, Albanese at 19 while riding for the national team has even won a .1 race, along with a stage (plus a second) at l'Avenir and some other wins in .2 races, at 18 he won two races plus a bunch of top tens in national level (.12 and .19) races but with them he's disappeared from the scenes in the last two seasons, if he continues in this way in a couple of years he could be another one that retires at 23/24.

I think that if a rider like Affini at 20 would have ended with them instead of SEG he wouldn't have developed his TT skills because they didn't even know how develop TT skills, but even a Moscon level talent with them is way more likely to end up in being a random Bardiani rider than fufil his promise.

TRENDING THREADS