• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Slightly old news but I only saw it today

Patrick Müller is retiring because of a long-term leg pain problem. Shame. He's only 23, and he was showing a lot of promise this year despite the issue (won Volta Limburg, 4th in Circuit de la Sarthe)

He got to ride - and finish - Lombardia as his last race.
Saw some social media posts about it; everyone seemed so sad about it, a clear case of "I want to keep doing this, but I just can't." (Bit like with Tanguy Turgis last year…) :(

Taylor Phinney will retire after the Japan Cup. Such a shame his career was severly hampered by his horror crash.

I agree. He was a beast before the crash and to come back from injuries of that scope was incredible. It seems to have really altered his perspective, probably in a good way. Before the crash I'm sure he felt like he was under a lot of pressure to succeed given his parents.

I agree. He was a beast before the crash and to come back from injuries of that scope was incredible. It seems to have really altered his perspective, probably in a good way. Before the crash I'm sure he felt like he was under a lot of pressure to succeed given his parents.
I don’t think anyone who’s ever watched an interview with Taylor has imagined that he ever feels any pressure to do anything by anyone.

Reactions: Koronin
It's amazing Phinney was even able to come back after that horrific crash.

I agree. And I'm glad he was able to make it back. Now, stopping is his choice, as opposed to being something he was forced to do because of an injury.
It's the same reason I'm not super sad Kittel stopped; again, his choice.
It's the same reason I'm glad Adrien Costa stopped before he had that accident (and I know I'm not the only one).

And then there are the situations where I know, and understand, that the rider in question is devastated, but it could have been so much worse! Take a look at Edo Maas; his career is essentially over before it's even started, same for Tanguy Turgis. However, they're both alive. Edo Maas was hit by a car and survived, Andreas Byskov Sarbo wasn't so lucky. Tanguy Turgis discovered a heart problem in time and is still alive, Michael Goolearts and Jimmy Duquennoy weren't so lucky. Still, those young kids are perfectly entitled to be devastated.

TRENDING THREADS