• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can someone tell me what happened to Ilnur Zakarin? why is he retiring now? or maybe 33 years is enough. But maybe he started later his cycling career and didn't feel like he lasted what he should have.

Here's an article about his initial decision to retire at the end of the season:

Ilnur Zakarin will retire at end of 2022 - VeloNews.com

And here's one about his decision - Gazprom related - to quit mid-season:

Ilnur Zakarin calls it quits: 'I'm ready to move on' - VeloNews.com

Yeah, weird to call him overachiever. The expectations after TdF2011 were so high for him.

Finishing 4th on Giro seems too much for him. However, it was a very weird edition with some questionable outcomes (Val Martello).

Apart from that, I think his resume is quite on line with what you could expect from Rolland (a fringe 2nd Tier climber with a penchant for breaks -rather than hunting low key Top-10- and very poor TT skills).

He managed to take iconic wins on TdF (Alpe D'Huez, Toussuire), a couple of low Top-10 on TdF, and even a Giro stage on his early declining years.

(I thought i had send this post, but apparently stayed as draft)

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Vanbilsen retires. He cites injuries and operations as the main reasons.
He's happy with what he achieved citing his combativity award in the 10th stage of the 2015 TdF and his victory in Dwars door het Hageland as his main achievements.

Funny it came out after I enquired about him yesterday.
He also won La Marseillaise which was usually the opening race of European Calendar.

An interesting statistic about B&B. Out of almost 50 different riders that have been in the squad along its existence, as of now, only 5 managed to get a contract (CT -professional, not amateur/elite-2-, PCT or WT) when leaving the team: Coquard, Manzin, Pacher, Koretzky and Mozzato.

Will probably jump up to 10 or so when Bonnamour, Laurence, Schonberger and hopefully a couple of other riders get a spot, but still it is only 20%

• Wow
And I just decided to compile a list of riders whose career died with B&B:

This year:
Morice, Rolland, Hivert, and Lemoine; has he officially decided to end his career now, as opposed to after PR next year, or is PCS just making an educated guess?

Last year:
N. Bagioli, Backaert, Van Genechten, Reza, and De Backer (I guess you could say they lost some... backing...)

2020:
Courteille, Vichot, Boeckmans, Slagter, and J. Turgis

2019:
Lammertink, Bagot, Fournier, and Müller

2018:
Corbel, and T. Turgis.

Of course, in some cases - like the unfortunate Turgis brothers - there were obvious reasons. But, yeah... that's quite a lot of riders retiring after a stint with the team.

Finishing 4th on Giro seems too much for him. However, it was a very weird edition with some questionable outcomes (Val Martello).

Apart from that, I think his resume is quite on line with what you could expect from Rolland (a fringe 2nd Tier climber with a penchant for breaks -rather than hunting low key Top-10- and very poor TT skills).

He managed to take iconic wins on TdF (Alpe D'Huez, Toussuire), a couple of low Top-10 on TdF, and even a Giro stage on his early declining years.
I feel this post is very much written with the perspective of hindsight. His 4th overall in the Giro felt quite natural at the time. A bit unfortunate for him that he didn't focus on the Tour that year (he did it with a Giro GC campaign in his legs) because that could have been his one realistic chance for a podium. He was pretty strong in the Tour the year after as well, and there was always a feeling of unfulfilled potential with Rolland until then. You got some Iban Mayo vibes when he failed to put a good GC together in the Tour year after year. It wasn't until after he moved to Garmin in 2016 at the age of 29 and didn't perform that everyone more or less gave up on believing in him as a GC rider.

TRENDING THREADS