• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

1 hr max session- what to do?

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Buy a turbo trainer.

You won’t get in a good enough workout in 40 minutes on the road (+10 min warm-up before and after the 40mins).

An hour on the turbo trainer is worth two on the road, there are lots of hour long drills you can do on the trainer, S.E’s, intervals, threshold work, all sorts ... and an hour is the right length for the trainer.

The only time I would do an hour training on the road is a recovery session the day after a massive effort.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
2 x 20mins. 5 mins warm up, first interval, 10 mins rest, second interval, 5 mins rest. I have used these many times. It will help your FTP.

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Not all bodies react to the same training session, think about warming up 30 minutes first, and work out another 30 minutes, divide those remaining 30 valuable minutes in improving endurance, speed, and stamina. Pedal until you can´t breathe.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
SirLes said:
You have 1 hour only to do a training session. including warm up but not getting changed!!

What do you do?

I have a nice hill about 1 km away. First section is about 9.1% gradient, 80 m altitude gain, and 880 m length. It takes 3 mins @ 400 W to do this section. Then 2-3 more mins to turn around, come back down, and get back to the start. Perfect for VO2max intervals and the whole workout can fit into an hour.

I'm doing this workout, or similar, twice a week at the moment. Seems to be working well.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
It depends on what my 4-6 week block training goals are. THere is no point doing an hour of intervals if their the only intervals you will do for the next 4-6 weeks.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3 mile loop with 5 short hills, one so steep I am standing at the end and about to fall over. Ride to it to warm up, then the loop the rest of the time plus the ride home. I can't wait to get this hip in shape so I can do that loop some more.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Some interesting answers.
I didn't make myself very clear. It was a hypothetical rather than a training advice.

personally I would either do some hill sprints on a nice little steep slope five mins from home or 3 times up Ditchling Beacon which is 15mins away and is 1.4km at 10% av.

As for not getting improvement with only 1hr sessions: I think you can achieve a great deal in that time frame. Ok so you're not going to replicate a Classic or grand Tour stage but still useful

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
If you only have an hour then quality is what you need to focus on:

So something like

20mins warmup (most people will do less but if you do any less your body won't be warm so wont get as much from the intervals)

35mins of intervals like 5mins hard then 5 mins easy etc. ladder so dropping down a gear each time then back up again

5mins cool down (with out this you will end up really stiff after so not as good session next time.)

The key things to focus on is staying as still as you can and keep cadence high (100rpm range) as this is the most efficient way to ride your bike.

Hope that helps