• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya(2.UWT) - 22nd March - 28th March

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looking around Ineos Adam Yates with this forem is there best bet at the Tour for me

I think he si the only one who could stay near Pogacar or Roglic

Porte and Carapaz are very good but not good enough

Thomas ...well it remains to be see seen if he can so it again
Carapaz completed the vuelta in less time than Roglic, and beat him in their previous GT when they were going for GC.
To say he is not good enough when he is coming into his prime years is bizarre.

You're saying that SK and SK were assigned co-leaders?

Yes, there was a sale going on at the SK Discount Warehouse. Stef Krul wasn't as good a buy as the other two.

14753945_1789454794626738_284865639022126662_o.jpg

I really don't think any of the Ineos team have much chance against Pogacar and Roglic assuming all in form. Porte and Thomas might not lose a huge amount in the TT like Carapaz would but I don't think either Porte or Thomas can hang with them going uphill.
None of them can hang up with Pogacar or Roglic. But surely they can come up with a good strategy to attack him. Not just the usual train because that would fall into Pogacar hands.

Yates, Carapaz, Thomas, Bernal, Porte, TGH, with Ganna and Dennis as the helpers!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
None of them can hang up with Pogacar or Roglic. But surely they can come up with a good strategy to attack him. Not just the usual train because that would fall into Pogacar hands.

Yates, Carapaz, Thomas, Bernal, Porte, TGH, with Ganna and Dennis as the helpers!!!

Ya they should be able to make the race interesting but I think they'll need to rely on other teams also doing that. We know Jumbo's likely tactic is a train and it's a damn strong one. If Pogacar and UAE are also doing a train, I'm not sure even Ineos have the talent by themselves to consistently attack those two.

That's if they bring that team above anyway, their current line up is Castro, De Plus, Tao, Thomas, Porte, Carapaz, Rowe, Kwiatowski which is not as attacking of a lineup.

Back to Catalunya, but surprised at some performances today. I know it's early but was expecting more out of Simon Yates, Hindley, Champoussin, Kamna, McNulty and a few others. Thought they'd have been higher up.

Bala nicely preparing his 41st birthday, Chaves dropping riders like it's 2016, Crushweak became a better TTer than climber, not steep enough for Steep Kuss, Quintana is not the naironman he used to be and Yates Adam rides for Sky so obviously he is better than before and all the rest.

He's likely hoping to win his 5th LBL title on his 41st birthday. Not sure he has the form to do it, but with the form we're seeing so far at Catalunya he should at least be in the mix.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What in the world happened to Soler today? I know he's inconsistent, but my goodness. I also realize he made a comment that he is at Catalunya to both improve his form and to help Valverde and Mas. With Mas, his form is still off. Mas needs racing KMs in his legs to improve form and he wasn't horribly off, esp considering his big goals are the Tour and Vuelta.

Yates wins the stage and the overall as expected. I really don't get the seemingly surprise that Yates is climbing this well and that so many people suddenly want him to do the Giro. He was the overwhelming favorite to win the race to begin with and his schedule to only do the Vuelta is perfect for him. Really him joining Ineos was the perfect match; Ineos needed someone to do well in one week stage-races and one day-races and Yates needed to work on his ITT and his positioning in the peloton.

What in the world happened to Soler today? I know he's inconsistent, but my goodness. I also realize he made a comment that he is at Catalunya to both improve his form and to help Valverde and Mas. With Mas, his form is still off. Mas needs racing KMs in his legs to improve form and he wasn't horribly off, esp considering his big goals are the Tour and Vuelta.
Soler happened! He's just that kind of rider, inconsistent. He's a great stage hunter, and very valuable domestique, and that's all. I really don't know what Movistar are trying to make out of him, but I will tell you what they won't make - a GC rider!

Soler happened! He's just that kind of rider, inconsistent. He's a great stage hunter, and very valuable domestique, and that's all. I really don't know what Movistar are trying to make out of him, but I will tell you what they won't make - a GC rider!

I think they still think he can race for GC in 1 week races. However, I agree with you that he could be a great stage hunter. For the Giro this year, I'd love to see them give up on GC and have Soler go after the KOM jersey and go stage hunting along with allowing Matteo Jorgenson to just get some basic experience in a Grand Tour. I did, actually, think Soler's form was a bit better than this crazy inconsistency after his 11th overall at A-T.

He's likely hoping to win his 5th LBL title on his 41st birthday. Not sure he has the form to do it, but with the form we're seeing so far at Catalunya he should at least be in the mix.
Unfortunately like we saw today when the younger ones put the kick in I fear that he might not be able to keep up. I mean Roglic, Alaphillippe and Pogacar will ride the LBL also and all of them have better sprint now days. But yeah in the Top 10 Valverde could easily be.

Unfortunately like we saw today when the younger ones put the kick in I fear that he might not be able to keep up. I mean Roglic, Alaphillippe and Pogacar will ride the LBL also and all of them have better sprint now days. But yeah in the Top 10 Valverde could easily be.
Bala in 2019 autumn form can beat them all. The problem is if one of Cyclo-Van's is at the finish line with him.

Very, very interesting final climb. So many stories:
  • Adam Yates again going termonuclear (some say he is no Simon, though)
  • Chaves is back!
  • vintage Valverde, nice!
  • Thomas better climber than TTer at the moment
  • very good ride from Vanhoucke
  • same old Kuss (not a bad ride though)
  • Quintana attacking because Valverde is ahead...lol
  • yaco was right about Simon
  • trademark Almeida pacing the group of not good enough GC riders
  • Almeida not allowing Masnada to do a Masnada
  • Kruijswijk proving once again he isn't reliable enough to be a leader

Very, very interesting final climb. So many stories:
  • Adam Yates again going termonuclear (some say he is no Simon, though)
  • Chaves is back!
  • vintage Valverde, nice!
  • Thomas better climber than TTer at the moment
  • very good ride from Vanhoucke
  • same old Kuss (not a bad ride though)
  • Quintana attacking because Valverde is ahead...lol
  • yaco was right about Simon
  • trademark Almeida pacing the group of not good enough GC riders
  • Almeida not allowing Masnada to do a Masnada
  • Kruijswijk proving once again he isn't reliable enough to be a leader

This is likely why Kuss was very likely asked to do the best ITT he is capable of doing.

TRENDING THREADS