• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

102nd Coppa Bernocchi (October 4th, 2021)

After today (yesterday)'s heroics, it's time to turn our attention to Italy for four straight days of 1.Pro races. The first of these is the Coppa Bernocchi, usually an opportunity for the (climbing) sprinters, although the expected rain and one Remco Evenepoel might have other thoughts...

Startlist

The route
coppa-bernocchi-2021-result-profile-564a23d038.jpg

coppa-bernocchi-2021-result-map-61f9060de4.jpg

The central part of the race is a circuit raced six times with the short climb to San Pancrazio and the main climb of the race, the Piccolo Stelvio. Contrary to what the PCS profile says, it's 1.6k at 7.2%, and with some good ramps too.

piccolostelviodacastiglioneo.gif

After the final ascent of Piccolo Stelvio, there's still 53k to go. Upon leaving the circuit, there are still three short hills to deal with: Ceppine (500m at 8%, maximum of 13%), Cairate (450m at 8.7%, maximum of 13%) and Gorla Maggiore (270m at 7.8% with some false flat beforehand incorporated in the PCS profile). These hills have their summits between 43 and 34 kilometres from the line, and the roads after this point are mostly wide and flat. The finish line is first crossed at 17.3k to go, the remainder of the race consists of three laps of the short, straightforward final circuit.

The finish should be a little after 4pm, the race is on Eurosport (and the channels of PMG Sport and L'Équipe - at least from 3pm onwards, so it's not unlikely that all six ascents of Piccolo Stelvio will be done and dusted at that point.,.).

• Love
Reactions: Orbit501 and noob
I usually prefer to watch races from the comfort of my couch, but I might be on the Piccolo Stelvio climb if it's not raining too hard. Six chances to see that sweet Remco/Masnada two-pronged attack!
The only way Evenepoel will finish in front of Masnada, is if he is allowed to ride ahead in order to inform the organization to prepare for His Royal Masnada's arrival.

1% of this peloton also started in Paris-Roubaix (2021) (1 out of 170).
And we know who that hero is.
I still can't quite get my head around that.
As was pointed out to me elsewhere, he's riding for a contract. But of all the unfortunate Qhubeka riders, I wouldn't have thought he'd have much trouble getting a contract elsewhere.

I always imagine anyone riding Roubaix needing to lay down for a few days afterwards :tearsofjoy:
He was a DNF though, so I'm wondering how quickly he climbed off.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
As always, depends how the riders decide to race it I suppose.

I would suggest those you mention above are here as warm up though.
As far i remember in recent times the only time the break from the hilly circuit survived here was when Nibali went ballistic on the fall classics after the Vuelta sticky bottle DSQ. The race where usually the break survives is Agostoni.

Anyway with the little brat around maybe it's the right chance.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS