• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

109 F high, does training in high temp. have any benefit?

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
the temperature all day was around 100F, what benefit/s if any does training in extremely high temperature have for the body? i know it can build mental toughness, assuming you can control effort, sustenance and get home.
thank you

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Benefits? None really. It's about acclimatization, if you can take it. Survival, if you can't.

Mental toughness? Mind over heat? If someones' body can't take it, heat will win every time, no matter what you tell yourself.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
anything much over 100 is not beneficial and tends to weaken the body you get tired quicker. over 110 is simply dangerous and asking for heat stroke which is no joke been there.

I think it increases blood plasma volume...but you have to be training in the heat for a few weeks.

Disclaimer...I am not an exercise physiologist...I just read this somewhere.

Here's a link to something http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/heataccl/heataccl.html

I had read something in the past about this as well. There seem to be some other benefits according to this, though as I said, I'm not in a position to evaluate any science behind this.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently minoring in sports medicine and training in heat does nothing for you other than break your body down faster and put you in danger faster. It does however offer you a placebo effect like "oh it can't get any hotter than today. If you are training in the heat remember to rehydrate every 45 minutes and probably invest in some salt tabs to replenish the large amount of salt you will be losing.

Like many potentially performance enhancing strategies, heat acclimatisation is all about being intelligent and knowledable regarding what you are doing and what you want to achieve from it. If your goal is to improve performance in the heat, there is no doubt that a properly done heat acclimatisation intervention IS beneficial. If your goal is to improve performance in thermoneutral conditions, there are a number of physiological adaptations such as increased plasma volume and an increase in heat shock proteins, that may lead to enhanced performance. But as others have already noted here, if you over do it, then you simply increase the overall stress on the body which can lead to maladaptation instead of a positive response.

For the record, without wanting to come across as a big headed know-it-all or anything, I do actually have a PhD in exercise physiology and many yrs experience working with elite athletes :)

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if it does you any good. I am in Texas and it's hot in the summer. I have gotten to where I sort of enjoy the heat. I was riding for about 2 hours in it this afternoon. It's better than not riding - or using the stationary bike!

May 25, 2010
Visit site
lostintime said:
Mental toughness? Mind over heat? If someones' body can't take it, heat will win every time, no matter what you tell yourself.

Not deterring you in any way, but I kinda agree with him and this sentence.

TRENDING THREADS