• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

109th Paris-Roubaix. The Hell of the North.

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I watched this again last night..

I'm still impressed by Fabian and even Thor took the fight up to him for a while at least, but the faffing around playing games with each other ultimately lost both the change to win.

I still loved the shots of them all hammering along at pace, in the dust, bouncing around and loving it..

It's still one of THE best races of the year IMHO.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Finbouy said:
I watched this again last night..

I'm still impressed by Fabian and even Thor took the fight up to him for a while at least, but the faffing around playing games with each other ultimately lost both the change to win.

I still loved the shots of them all hammering along at pace, in the dust, bouncing around and loving it..

Yes, there were quite a few really great shots of Fabian and Thor going all out over the cobbles. Noone could follow them.

jaylew said:
Agreed. It's Roubaix, though and that kind of stuff happens. He's been fairly lucky with that kind of thing in the past. I remember '09 when everyone crashed behind him.

He didn't win that one because he was lucky. He won it because he was the best and because the others could not stay on the bike.

Fed up with these folks who would swear that Paris-Roubaix is a lottery. If you can't ride a bike, you fall. As simple as that.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
He didn't win that one because he was lucky. He won it because he was the best and because the others could not stay on the bike.

Fed up with these folks who would swear that Paris-Roubaix is a lottery. If you can't ride a bike, you fall. As simple as that.

Luck plays a part in Paris Roubaix more than any other race on the calendar. As simple as that.

Astana1 said:
That was the best Paris-Roubaix since.....?

2009! :D The Carrefour de l'Arbre was amazing, possibly my favorite ten minutes of spring cycling for years. And then the drag race between Boonen and Pippo. Just wow!

2008 was really great, too, with Canc, Ballan, and Boonen off the front and wondering the whole time if the Swissman had the legs to shake the Belgian right up until the one km mark where Lord Boonen, sure of his victory, pats Cancellara on the **** to keep him in line. The sprint still gives me chills.

And the pair of CSC solo rides of 06 and 07, and the meat of the Flanders, Roubaix, WC sandwich of 2005, and etc.

The only Paris-Roubaix I haven't loved in recent years was 2010, but even that edition got exciting at the end when Flecha and Hushovd finally started doing something. And it WAS an amazing display by Spartacus--one that I hope to never see the likes of again! ;)

On a somewhat related side note, here's a funny pic of Van Summeren and Boonen from Qatar last year:

4351633205_e1d25e276e.jpg

And the champion himself:

Van-Summeren-cobbles.jpg

Echoes said:

And if a rider falls right in front of you what are you supposed to do?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
cyclingnews,paris-roubaix and cancellara

I have to take issues with CyclingNews’ coverage of Paris- Roubaix(PR).
In “winners and losers from Paris- Roubaix” Daniel Benson did his best searching for words praising team’s Garmin- Cervelo(G-C) tactics calling the team confident and clinical.

Any reader who didn’t get the chance to watch the race would assume because of Benson’s words that all went according to plan, resulting in the loss of Fabian Cancellara and the win of G-C’s “favorite” johan van summeren. But the most outrageous part of the article is perhaps its description of the team’s refusal to work with cancellara as rightful.

Well racing is not all about tactics, and NO the race did not go according to G-C’s plan.

Way before the race it was widely known that Thor Hushovd is his team’ favorite for PR.And all along the race he refused to work with Cancellara staying on his wheels,relying on his team mate Van Summeren in the breakaway and betting on Cancellara cracking in his attempt to bridge the gap which would have given him the chance to cruise to first place on the podium.

Cancellara refused to play that game,not because he is a weak player,but because he was frustrated with the world champion lack of high standards and his desire to win in the cheapest way.

So Cancellara turned the pressure over presenting Hushovd with two choices; either we work together and we both have a shot at the podium in a great showdown or we both lose.It seems that Hushovd picked the easy road so he lost, but he lost alone,while cancellara decided too late to launch his attack dropping everybody who was trailing him,nevertheless coming in second place.

Roadracing is a sport where all means (legal ones) are deployed to give different riders an edge over each other, but it’s also a sport of heart and ethics,where winning is more glorified and memorable when it comes with suffering and willingness to give it all till the finish line.

I hope 2011 Paris-Roubaix will not be remembered for Garmin-Cervelo tactics but for the pure human strength and resolve shown by Cancellara.As for hushovd no one will forget the way he was dropped in shame by Spartacus.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Cancellara was a beast and imo did not much wrong this P-R. Yes, his team lacked, but that's not his fault. His team was already decimated by bad luck before P-R started.

The issue of Garmin's tactics has been hotly debated in this forum, and no consensus has been reached. As a human being, Daniel Benson is bound to have his own interpretation of what happened. It's inevitable. It's opinion journalism after all. You disagree with his interpretation, but we'd be in the same situation (just in reverse) if it was you who wrote the article, as the opposing camp would find your analysis inaccurate and inappropriate.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
flanders said:
I have to take issues with CyclingNews’ coverage of Paris- Roubaix(PR).
<SNIP>

Question: When you go to work, do you do what ever you feel like regardless of whether it benefits your employer or not. Or do you play your part in an overall company strategy?

Now, I'm sure Hushovd would have preferred to win himself, but he's paid around 1m euros a year to ride for the team, not himself. He understands this and he's happy to play along.

As Cavendish once said: "This isn't a hobby, it's my f***ing job"

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Tactics

I would like to point out that while "wheel sucking" is not a very honorable way to win a race, virtually every sprinter ever to win a race does just that. He sits in the draft for 150k and then puts in a few k's of hard riding followed by a sprint. Every GT winner does the same. He makes the moves at the critical times.
I do not believe Garmin planned for Van Summerin to be a leader, however, the tactical situation was such that Hushovd could not chase down a team mate. I wouldn't have if I had been in a similar position.
Another point is Leopard didn't have the quality riders required to support Cancellara. Garmin had 2 in the break ahead and a couple with Hushovd. That would definitely encourage other teams to assist with bringing the break back, which none did. So they set a nice tempo until FC decided to go. As the favorite due to his performances earlier in the season, he was marked and forced to work. He became frustrated because he received no help. I can honestly say that if any help was given by Ballan and Hushovd, the winner would have been FC. The proof is when he jumped away with 3k left and pulled back 40 seconds. By himself....

The bottom line is this: A true racer will do his very best to be the laziest rider in the bunch. Then when the moment is right, he will unleash his very best. Unfortunately, tactically the situation was better for garmin to play the lazy racer. It worked. Perfectly.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
bare in mind this is a forum to express one's opinions and disagreements,so you can take any position or camp,and put forward your own analysis,and i can take issues with opinions bc after all they are not facts.
for sure some people would find my analysis inaccurate but to say "inappropriate" it makes personal.

flanders said:
bare in mind this is a forum to express one's opinions and disagreements,so you can take any position or camp,and put forward your own analysis,and i can take issues with opinions bc after all they are not facts.
for sure some people would find my analysis inaccurate but to say "inappropriate" it makes personal.

I am not sure that your analysis of whether that particular word makes a statement personal is any better than your analysis of the race tactics.
Those were absolutely the best tactics for Garmin and tactics make bike racing. If Canc's team wanted his position to be better at that point in the race they should have made sure to put someone good in the break. Imagine if O'Grady was up there. Faced with the probability of O'Grady winning the sprint if they brought him to the finish the break for one would not have ridden as hard and Hushovd would have had to help in the chase while Cancellara would have had to do less. LeoPard misplayed things not Garmin.

TRENDING THREADS