• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

109th Paris-Roubaix. The Hell of the North.

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thoughtforfood said:
I wasn't aware that Boonen was pulling for Cancellara last year...someone better tell Lefevere because I think he will be p!ssed to know that happened...:rolleyes:

It's also interesting to know that taking a pull now an then is the "decisive" factor in another rider blowing off the front like cruise missile. All these years riding, and I never knew that I could blow the race apart like that and never did it...man, think of the trophies and money I could have won...2x:rolleyes:

I think what El P is saying is that, were Boonen in the race, he would have been hitting the front on many of the cobbled sections and raising the pace to test the other favorites and cull the herd. He does this every year, and it's one of the reasons why I like to cheer for him in at Roubaix. He's not afraid to drive the group and use energy, whereas guys like Flecha, Pippo, and Hushovd only sit on, conserving and riding "tactically."

(EDIT: And before anyone defends tactical riding at Roubaix: Boonen has won three times by controlling the race himself; Cancellara has won twice in the same fashion. The "smart" riders have earned a handful of podium appearances by letting Boonen and Cancellara dictate the terms of the race, but they've never won and they never will until they actually take control of it. That means hitting the wind and being the engine, so...)

This does wear the others down quite a bit, and would make them more susceptible to an attack, but the only favorite who seemed willing to test the group yesterday was Canc himself. In this regard, having Boonen there also applying the screw every now and again would have helped Canc's escape attempts. (I think it would also have kept the gap to the breakaway smaller, giving Cancellara a better chance at catching VS when he did finally gap the others.)

A

Anonymous

mr. tibbs said:
I think what El P is saying is that, were Boonen in the race, he would have been hitting the front on many of the cobbled sections and raising the pace to test the other favorites and cull the herd. He does this every year, and it's one of the reasons why I like to cheer for him in at Roubaix. He's not afraid to drive the group and use energy, whereas guys like Flecha, Pippo, and Hushovd only sit on, conserving and riding "tactically."

This does wear the others down quite a bit, and would make them more susceptible to an attack, but the only favorite who seemed willing to test the group yesterday was Canc himself. In this regard, having Boonen there also applying the screw every now and again would have helped Canc's escape attempts. (I think it would also have kept the gap to the breakaway smaller, giving Cancellara a better chance at catching VS when he did finally gap the others.)

This all started because I didn't like Boonen saying that he would have been the decisive factor in the race if he hadn't had problems. That may or may not be true, and we as fans can speculate all we want. I don't like to hear a rider give a "shoulda' woulda' coulda'" when what he should have said was ONLY "I had a bad day, congratulations to Van Summeren." That has been picked up on by a couple of people and twisted to this anyway. And I stand by the fact that in the last two years, Boonen may have been a factor (as were many riders in the same race), but he hasn't been the decisive factor. The decisive factor in all of those races was much more what Cancellara tried to do versus everyone else in the field.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I think what El P is saying is that, were Boonen in the race, he would have been hitting the front on many of the cobbled sections and raising the pace to test the other favorites and cull the herd. He does this every year, and it's one of the reasons why I like to cheer for him in at Roubaix. He's not afraid to drive the group and use energy, whereas guys like Flecha, Pippo, and Hushovd only sit on, conserving and riding "tactically." ....

During Boonen's last winning ride in 2009 he did exactly as you say, plus he appeared to drive into tight cobbled corners at speed which eventually caused the others following him to take risks and subsequently crash. So a classic case of a powerful, fit and highly skilled rider controlling the race.

mr. tibbs said:
(EDIT: And before anyone defends tactical riding at Roubaix: Boonen has won three times by controlling the race himself; Cancellara has won twice in the same fashion. The "smart" riders have earned a handful of podium appearances by letting Boonen and Cancellara dictate the terms of the race, but they've never won and they never will until they actually take control of it. That means hitting the wind and being the engine, so...)

I understand what you are trying to say but, Boone and Canc. won those races because they were the strongest, not because they sat on the front and pulled. They could sit on the front and drive because they were strongest. There is not an intrinsic benefit to driving the race with 50K to go and when lesser riders try it they are usually nowhere to be found in the finale. Those other guys did what they could and at the end still got beat by the stronger man. They used the only tactic they had availible.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
well that cyclocross bike of his sure did the trick on the cobbles. I wonder if more riders will follow suit and try PR on a cross bike

I started a thread on the cross section last year about that matter: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=6837

Franzoi already did the same in his best days. Is Chainel doing the same?

I was wondering if it was efficient since Paris-Roubaix is also 210km on asphalt.

By the way, anyone to tell Vannieuwkerke that Sagan did make it to the Velodrome last year?
Out of time limit but he did finish the race. ;)

So now, the season is really over for me (or maybe I'll watch the Tro Bro Léon :p). Wake me up in September for the cyclocross season. :p

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I thought it was pretty obvious that was Boom's opinion as the sentence above said it was what Boom explained on the Dutch TV :rolleyes:

But apparently you read selectively

It was very clear that what you wrote was a recap of Boom's version of the story. Maybe you're a fan of Rabo or Boom. So what.

Don't get drawn into defending what you wrote there because someone else is perhaps anti Boom. No where in your post did it say that it was the "truth".

Logic would dictate that someone at that level of racing would be professional enough not to shove someone the way he did Flecha without a good reason and then be vocal and public about the reasons for it- unless it was more than likely TRUE.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara - The one trick pony of pro cycling!
(thanks, Paul Simon)

He's a one trick pony
One trick is all that horse can do
He does one trick only
It's the principal source of his revenue
And when he steps into the spotlight
You can feel the heat of his heart
Come rising through

See how he dances
See how he loops from side to side
See how he prances
The way his hooves just seem to glide
He's just a one trick pony (that's all he is)
But he turns that trick with pride

He makes it look so easy
He looks so clean
He moves like god's
Immaculate machine
He makes me think about
All of these extra movements I make
And all of this herky-jerky motion
And the bag of tricks it takes
To get me through my working day
One-trick pony

He's a one trick pony
He either fails or he succeeds
He gives his testimony
Then he relaxes in the weeds
He's got one trick to last a lifetime
But that's all a pony needs
(that's all he needs)
He looks so easy
He looks so clean
He moves like god's
Immaculate machine
He makes me think about
All of these extra movements I make
And all of this herky-jerky motion
And the bag of tricks it takes
To get me through my working day

One-trick pony, one trick pony
One-trick pony, one trick pony
One-trick pony (take me for a ride)

Thoughtforfood said:
This all started because I didn't like Boonen saying that he would have been the decisive factor in the race if he hadn't had problems. That may or may not be true, and we as fans can speculate all we want. I don't like to hear a rider give a "shoulda' woulda' coulda'" when what he should have said was ONLY "I had a bad day, congratulations to Van Summeren." That has been picked up on by a couple of people and twisted to this anyway. And I stand by the fact that in the last two years, Boonen may have been a factor (as were many riders in the same race), but he hasn't been the decisive factor. The decisive factor in all of those races was much more what Cancellara tried to do versus everyone else in the field.

Hugh Januss said:
I understand what you are trying to say but, Boone and Canc. won those races because they were the strongest, not because they sat on the front and pulled. They could sit on the front and drive because they were strongest. There is not an intrinsic benefit to driving the race with 50K to go and when lesser riders try it they are usually nowhere to be found in the finale. Those other guys did what they could and at the end still got beat by the stronger man. They used the only tactic they had availible.

You've both drilled it with these bolded parts.

TFF, it IS a shame when a favorite loses a race and then focuses on excuses rather than celebrating the winning ride. 2011 PR must be about VS's grit, first and foremost, not what others might have done had X not Y'd. (And of course your right about Spartacus, not Boonen, being the crux in 2010.)

And Hugh, you've got me on that. My posts can get a bit bi-polar in that I go back and forth between "he's a wheelsucker" and "it was the only tactic available." I normally don't mind it when someone plays tactics to fell a stronger cyclist (a la Nuyens), but for some reason I hate seeing this in Paris-Roubaix.

I don't want to see the winner suddenly appear in the velodrome, I want him to burn furrows through the stones all over northern France. (Read [as you point out]: be the strongest cyclist.) I want this race to be one where the winner has taken control and made the race happen--not just watched it develop like Hincapie and Flecha, et al, tend to do.

In this regard, VS's victory is great, because he didn't just sit in the group and wait. He created the race, and--if he wouldn't have--Cancellara would've won. Instead, VS won--and rightfully so!

In response to Hektoren. One for Vansummeren

Vansummeren - You can win if you want

You packed your things in a carpetbag
Left and never looking back
Rings on your fingers, paint on your toes
Music wherever you go
You dont fit in a smalltown world
But I feel youre the girl for me
Youre leaving town where nobody knows

You can win if you want
If you want it, you will win
On your way you will see that life is more than fantasy
Take my hand, follow me
Oh, youve got a brand new friend for your life

You can win if you want
If you want it you will win
Oh, come on, take a chance for a brand new wild romance
Take my hand for the night
And your feelings will be right, hold me tight

Oh, darkness finds you on your own
Endless highways keep on rolling on
Youre miles and miles from your home
But you never want to phone your home
A steady job and a nice young man
Your parents had your future planned
Rings on your finger, paint on your toes
Thats the way your story goes

May 5, 2009
Visit site
the moto that destroyed FC's Roubaix dreams:

http://youtu.be/5y7ev_C-ykg

it did not just cost him the 19 seconds, it took him the last opportunity to rocket away from Hush & Co. then again, this is Paris-Roubaix and cycling, not chess :D

but at least a merited, respected and honourable winner! congrats.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
the moto that destroyed FC's Roubaix dreams:

http://youtu.be/5y7ev_C-ykg

it did not just cost him the 19 seconds, it took him the last opportunity to rocket away from Hush & Co. then again, this is Paris-Roubaix and cycling, not chess :D

but at least a merited, respected and honourable winner! congrats.

looool

"Skandal ! Skandal ! Was sind das denn für.....................FFFFotografen!?!" :D

Was idiotish by moto, but it didn't change anything. Fabian couldn't drop Thor that day and at that phase of race. Only when race was nearly done and Johan was too far away.

If Johan didn't ride with puncture for 5km, the gap would have even been larger.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
In response to Hektoren. One for Vansummeren

Vansummeren - You can win if you want

You packed your things in a carpetbag
Left and never looking back
Music wherever you go
You dont fit in a smalltown world
But I feel youre the girl for me
Youre leaving town where nobody knows

You can win if you want
If you want it, you will win
On your way you will see that life is more than fantasy
Take my hand, follow me
Oh, youve got a brand new friend for your life

You can win if you want
If you want it you will win
Oh, come on, take a chance for a brand new wild romance
Take my hand for the night
And your feelings will be right, hold me tight

Oh, darkness finds you on your own
Endless highways keep on rolling on
Youre miles and miles from your home
But you never want to phone your home
A steady job and a nice young man
Your parents had your future planned
Rings on your finger, paint on your toes
Thats the way your story goes

Come on DT. You don't like him ?
Johan doesn't deserve this. Or is he a fan ? Or you ?

This is scandalous.

keytar_modern_talki_913698a.jpg

"I fell once in Paris-Roubaix, that was in 2003. Today, I had only bad luck. I felt good at the start, and I was able to preserve my energy. If I hadn't abandoned, the race would have gone differently. I think Cancellara missed me. On the other hand, other rouleurs have really managed the race badly, I'm thinking of Hushovd and Ballan who stayed passive. You have to try something in order to win Paris-Roubaix."

Not a Boonen guy, but I don't really have any problem with what he said at all. On the other hand I disagree a bit with his assessment of Hushovd and Ballan's rides, considering they had teammates up the road and were probably acting on team orders anyway. It would be interesting to know if deep down those guys wanted to ride, though.

Archibald said:
it's not known as the "Hell of the North" for the reason they've given...

That bothered me, too.

As I recall, it was christened the Hell of the North when the race organizers were recconing the course prior to the first edition run after WWI. The phrase described the state of the countryside of northern France.

I think.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
"I felt good at the start, and I was able to preserve my energy. If I hadn't abandoned, the race would have gone differently. I think Cancellara missed me. On the other hand, other rouleurs have really managed the race badly, I'm thinking of Hushovd and Ballan who stayed passive. You have to try something in order to win Paris-Roubaix."

couldn't agree more with Boonen. Sad, he had so much bad luck. I am convinced, he would have made it to a garmin-free podium :D

(Boonen, FC, Ballan)

ok. wish could would should trash. who cares.

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
Not a Boonen guy, but I don't really have any problem with what he said at all. On the other hand I disagree a bit with his assessment of Hushovd and Ballan's rides, considering they had teammates up the road and were probably acting on team orders anyway. It would be interesting to know if deep down those guys wanted to ride, though.

meh, i don't think ballan had the legs to work with cancellara after it was clear the quinziato wasn't going to contend. even so i fault him more than thor, who while sucking the energy from the race was at least playing it smart.

i got the impression from boonen's chase that he would have had the legs to work with cancellara today, and it was pretty disappointing to see him hit the deck as hard as he did.

ghostofjoy said:
i got the impression from boonen's chase that he would have had the legs to work with cancellara today, and it was pretty disappointing to see him hit the deck as hard as he did.

Agreed. It's Roubaix, though and that kind of stuff happens. He's been fairly lucky with that kind of thing in the past. I remember '09 when everyone crashed behind him.

mr. tibbs said:
That bothered me, too.

As I recall, it was christened the Hell of the North when the race organizers were recconing the course prior to the first edition run after WWI. The phrase described the state of the countryside of northern France.

I think.

you'd be correct

jaylew said:
Agreed. It's Roubaix, though and that kind of stuff happens. He's been fairly lucky with that kind of thing in the past. I remember '09 when everyone crashed behind him.

O'Grady still won after crashing, and so have many others - sure they may have done so at different stages of the race...