• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

109th Paris-Roubaix. The Hell of the North.

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
+1
As for Van Summeren's bride to be, now that's a gal that doesn't play at being hard to get now, is it. If winning a race with 256,5 km and 27 sections of cobbles is what it takes to woo her, she'd better have some good tricks up her sleeve.....:D

She can suck a toaster through 20 metres of garden hose.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Its been 2 fu*king years since Boonen won a classic. I think he might want to shut the fu*k up and do something with his legs instead of his mouth before he puts himself as the decisive factor in anything. Its one thing for people to speculate about what could have happened, but the rider himself living dreams of greatness through shoulda' woulda' coulda' is a man looking for an excuse.

Fact is that Garmin won. If you don't like it, deal with it. They played the cards that were there, not the cards that shoulda' woulda' coulda' been there, and they won the race. Deal.With.It.

you have clearly watched last years MSR and RvV and PR

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
danjo007 said:
ever since FB chased and got into Evans break at TDF, and then demanded Evans get out of it so they wont be chased; i've hate him.
im happy every time the guy fails.
he's a prima donna who believes in his own hype. :D

Who's FB ?

Moose McKnuckles said:
Well, Hushovd has been on the podium at P-R twice and he's the current WC.

and a very lame WC indeed...

auscyclefan94 said:
According to Phil Liggett Andre Greipel is Australian!:eek: Also, the Carrefour d'labre is now the forest d'labre.:D

shoot him :p

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Another great race, maybe not as good as the other two Monuments but still a huge improvement on 2010.

Cancellara clearly the strongest by miles, as he was last year. The difference is that team tactics have adjusted to neutralise him and his team didn't given him the support he needed. So Cancellara dominance combined with no anti-Cancellara startegy leads to boring races; combined with effective anti-Cancellara riding, we get classic Classics.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
boonen had some nasty luck.
I was pretty happy with how boom rode. He is making progress after all :p

He looked good on that cobbled stretch where he burned everybody, but he seemed to lose his head a bit though with Flecha.

Strong rider and I will imagine being amongst the favourites next year particularly if the conditions are bad.

200-RTR2L23D.jpg

When I zoomed right in on this it's not what I'd expect to see with a chain trapped up against the frame.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
well that cyclocross bike of his sure did the trick on the cobbles. I wonder if more riders will follow suit and try PR on a cross bike

No, has already been tested by more cyclists. The bike Boonen's using is probably the best for P-R right now.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
yeah, what was that anyway?
I laughed anyway.

I'm not sure.. Flecha is such a nice guy so I dont know what he did -maybe not working because Hayman was up the road i dont know. Boom is going well but needs to calm down!

No.
Boom explained it afterwards against the Dutch TV.

Flecha was riding dangerously all day, pushing people out of position and not caring if it could cause any fall. Boom was irritated by that all day.
At that moment, Boom had the wheel of Cancellara and Flecha wanted to push Boom out of there. So Boom literally shoved him away and told him to go take a hike.
Flecha was not happy he couldn't take Cance's wheel and tried again and Boom pushed him away again and that was the end of it. Flecha learned that you don't mess with Boom.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
No.

Flecha was riding dangerously all day, pushing people out of position and not caring if it could cause any fall. Boom was irritated by that all day.
At that moment, Boom had the wheel of Cancellara and Flecha wanted to push Boom out of there. So Boom literally shoved him away and told him to go take a hike.
Flecha was not happy he couldn't take Cance's wheel and tried again and Boom pushed him away again and that was the end of it. Flecha learned that you don't mess with Boom.

Rabo riders are so aggressive, :p probably riding with Bos, Brown is rubbing off on Boom.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Rabo riders are so aggressive, :p probably riding with Bos, Brown is rubbing off on Boom.

And they hired Barredo ;) With the Four B's Rabobank pretty much can't lose the most aggressive rider award in the Tour.

L'arriviste said:
Lovely stuff. One of those guys who definitely looks more natural on a bike than in civvies. ;)

Haha, truth. He's very Schleck-esque, isn't he?

Chapeau Van Sum--that was one hell of a show he put on. I'm really glad he got the win. (But I have no idea how he's already able to sit in the saddle again.)

I think Cancellara would have won if he would have stuck to his original attack. Two or three more accellerations would have shelled Hushovd and Ballan, I think, and he was only 25 seconds back from the Van Sum group at that point.

I also think he would have won had Boonen survived Arenberg, b/c of the Belgian's penchant for driving the pace so hard over the stones. And when Canc attacked, Boonen would have gone with and worked with him.

Bummed about QS's terrible luck, but what can you do? PR is a dangerous mistress.

What a wonderful race! I can't believe we have to wait twelve months for the next edition. :(

Dekker_Tifosi said:
No.

You shouldn't take Boom's side of the story and repeat it as some sort of absolute truth without any regard for Flecha's version.