• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

12 questions

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Where are you from?
Portugal

Who's your favourite cyclist?
Mathieu van der Poel from active riders. From past riders, Igor Antón and Riccardo Riccó.

Your favourite moment in cycling history?
I can't put one above the others. From the past years the ones who stand in my mind the most are Amstel 2019 (where I fell asleep after I thought MVDP had lost the race to the Fuglsang and Alaphilippe attack, only to wake up under 10 km to go and go berserk with the last minutes of the race).
I also remember fondly Angliru in Vuelta 2017. Never was a fan of Alberto and even was rooting against him during the Contador vs. Schleck years, but that day was magical. It was like a retrospective of a cycling career on the last mountain day of his professional life, aided by fellow riders and friends in a last mountain raid.
And I almost had another favorite moment in Yorkshire 2019, only to go with apathy when I see MVDP with one of the biggest bonks I've ever seen in procycling, when I was almost sure the rainbow jersey was in the bag if the group reached the final together.

What's wrong with cycling at the moment?
Shifting away from long and hard mountain stages to unipuertos and stages that don't feature more than 2 hard mountain passes by design (talking to you Tour). Concentration of talents in big teams who area couple of levels above the middle tier teams.

What makes cycling better than other sports (to watch)?
Different landscapes and range of different outcomes that are possible.

What is the best stage or race design of all times?
Giro 2015 - For me it's the GT I enjoyed the most. It had a lot of everything. Long TTs, hard mountain stages, tricky hilly stages. And the fight between the top-3 was amazing, although the depth of the rest of the field wasn't as good. Would like to see a TDF level peloton ride that parcours.

Which other sports do you watch the most?
Motorsports.

Have you ever raced competitively yourself?
No.

How do you feel about women's cycling?
Try to follow the biggest road races, although the domination of the Netherlands as a country and of SDWork as a team is not very enjoyable to me. It gladly seems to be changing as more teams and countries invest more in the sport.
Try to watch as CX and XC as possible as the races are frequently more entertaining than the men's.

You are writing a novel set in pro cycling – what's your plot?
-

TT or hard climbs?
Hard climbs.

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?
MVDP. How to ride technical features in CX and XC at speed since that's one part of my riding I can't seem to improve.