• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

12 questions

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, in Germany at least it's not a problem to use real names, as long as you don't attribute stories to them which could be regarded as real or could damage the reputation. However, doing damage to the reputation may be reached easily, so you have to be careful with that. But just using the names as in "I was riding alongside van der Poel and caught his glance" is no problem and I can't imagine that it is in other countries.

Even that might be a problem for him with his girlfriend ;)

Hey there, with the forum existing so much longer than I have been here, there have probably been a few threads like this before, but I haven't seen any and maybe the questions are different or there are new members. Anyway, I made this questionnaire and I would love you to answer it!

Where are you from? Okay, laptop (rather than phone) time. Australia.

Who's your favourite cyclist? As some ancient forum members here will know, that would be Andreas Kloden. Maybe it was for the Zoolander reason, that he was really, really, really good looking, at least on the bike, I don't know. Perhaps more likely it was that he was very, very, very good, but not great. I am generally attracted to the 'Scottie Pippen' types in sport.

Later I developed a love for Alberto Contador too (probably not coincidentally when he wasn't quite as successful). Currently I don't seem to have a great deal of emotional investment in individual riders, so I more just cheer for the crazy outcome (Pogacar/Vino option). Although I was very happy to see Richie Porte get his well deserved Grand Tour podium this year, and I don't mind Fuglsang, and I've grown a bit fond of Nibali (though actually more so of the forum banter that surrounds him).

Your favourite moment in cycling history? Tough one. Maybe the second stage in the Alps of the 2006 Tour (to La Tousierre....can never remember how to spell these crazy mountain names), which has been my long time profile pic (when Landis cracked Kloden became a genuine chance to win the Tour). That in combination with the stage that followed it (the 'Landis stage') was grand tour cycling at its most epic. I even got the DVD package of that Tour, and just rewatching those stages is awesome. Phil and Paul dragged Floyd's coach (Ventura?) into the commentary box a few times during his escapade, and just his positivity about how it was all going was hilarious! Anyway, even though all that clinic stuff came out, I still find it an amazing stage to look back on. I mean fighting off an entire peloton over multiple mountains like that.....it's amazing no matter what you have taken!

I liked Tignes in 2007 (Kloden sacrificing himself for Vino).

More recently I remember Formigal 2016. I wasn't really a big Contador fan when Fuente De happened, so even though it didn't lead to Alberto winning the race (nor even making the podium), I still loved that Formigal stage. Then there were those final Paris-Nice bittersweet stages, and of course 2017 Angliru, a great ending.

Even more recently, Froome on Finestre was memorable, and this year the PDBF ITT was dramatic.

What's wrong with cycling at the moment? Not much. Maybe that is why some of us get annoyed, because it could be 'perfect'. The trend for shorter stages is concerning though, and of course there should be more ITTing. Also, I know that people have to earn a living, but I think that 120 riders in a grand tour might be better than 180; less congestion, less crashes maybe. 6 rider teams as opposed to 8 is also a possibility mentioned by many on this forum at different times.

What makes cycling better than other sports (to watch)? For me this is interesting, because I became interested in cycling as my interested for watching sport (in general) waned. So I will compare it a little to long distance running, and to F1, as I quite liked those sports. Cycling has such a mix of individual and team, and variance in competitions and in potential winners. Slipstream (as Netserk mentioned) plays a huge part. The fact that you save roughly 20% of your energy by hiding in the peloton makes a huge difference in regards to tactics, and adds to talking points between fans, as to whether rider A should have worked more or less in certain situations (take the men's WCRR from this year with JA and WVA as an example). This doesn't really happen say, in a 10,000 metres running race. If a runner gets 50 metres ahead, and continues to run at a world record pace, there isn't really anything that the 'peloton' behind him can do about it. The strongest usually wins. Whereas in cycling this is not the case. The peloton is always stronger than one rider (unless you are the great TDG maybe). Of course some on this forum believe that Remco might change this. With F1, there is slipstream of course, but it is always better to be ahead then behind, as overtaking is generally difficult (so there is no tactic to deliberately sit behind, Gerrans style). Also, the F1 circuits change, but 20 years ago, it probably didn't matter if you raced at Monaco or Spa, a Ferrari or McLaren would still win. In cycling you can get a huge variety of winners in any given season, and in fact in any given stage race. And I especially love the GC battle over three weeks in a GT....there is nothing like this in mainstream distance running for example. Plus as many have mentioned, watching cycling can be like a travelogue too. Those helicopter shots....

What is the best stage or race design of all times? Not sure. Libertine Seguros is an expert on that stuff. But as another poster mentioned in this thread, Paris-Nice and T-A often have well balanced and interesting routes. I don't take as much interest in one day races, but I can see that a race like RVV is very well designed; encouraging racing from a long way out. As far as GT's are concerned, it is good that first weeks have become a little less overly sprinter friendly, but I feel that they are a little too back loaded at times (in particular Giro and Tour). And as I mentioned earlier, I think there should be more ITT's.

Which other sports do you watch the most? Nothing as much as cycling (although I don't watch nearly as much of it as most members on here, mostly due to Aussie time zone.....sometimes I am not even watching the big stage....but 'watching' it on the forum thread on my phone in bed; it's always the best commentary). I watch some AFL, partly because it is very big here. In my past life I watched quite a bit of NBA, track and field (minus the shot put), F1, some soccer.

Have you ever raced competitively yourself? No. I am a wuss. Zakarin would be Nibali on a descent compared to me. Though actually I hardly ever rode bikes anyway. I did some distance running and was quite serious with it for a while (only a 34 minute 10 k, so not a great standard). I also play/ed a little tennis and golf, but both 'socially' (which is another way of saying, very, very badly).

How do you feel about women's cycling? I don't mind it, but I am not really 'into it', at least not at this point in time. I did go back and watch all of the 2018 TDF stage they got to ride over the Romme-Columbierre; that was really great racing, and of course an amazing finish. But I couldn't name specific winners from most races like I could with the men's, except that I would probably guess correctly that "A Dutch rider won it". But from what I have seen, I like that the racing is less controlled. It is potentially as attractive to view as the men's racing, as I think it's all relative (attacking at a slower pace looks the same if the gap is created in a similar fashion). But I think that the women should race over the same (or at least closer to) distances as the men; there is a crazy discrepancy there, which is one thing that leads to all the Cille worrying about our uterus' talk. Well, I'd like then to have a three week GT too, but first things first; let's give them 180 km stages, and even 250 km classics. After all, women run marathons just like men do.

You are writing a novel set in pro cycling – what's your plot? Pro cycling creates enough great stories on its own.

Also at the moment I am just lazy! I was writing a Nibali story, but this was more of an attempt at comedy.

I quite like the idea from the guy who said that a Pyrenean town builds a road specifically for an epic Tour MTF, only for the organisers to ditch them at the last minute for a finish at in all places, Pau! That's pure Prudhomme!

TT or hard climbs? GT's need both. The best mountain stages are more entertaining (though PDBF might say "hold my beer while I change my bike"), but an ITT is more consistent in it's importance to the overall outcome I guess. And since something always happens, as a fan you are never greatly disappointed (another poster already said as much).

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you? I will join the que and line up in hope that I can become one of Jacob Fuglsang's many husbands.

Where are you from?
I am a citizen of the world (frankly, I have lived in many countries on several continents and I am not particularly enamored of my "official" country of nationality).

Who's your favourite cyclist?
Greg LeMond

Your favourite moment in cycling history?
  1. 1989: Champs Elysées (frankly, nothing in cycling comes close)
  2. 1989: Worlds
  3. 1975: Tour de Flandres
  4. 2019: San Sebastian
What's wrong with cycling at the moment?
Not enough TTs.
Too many riders per team.
Valverde. Riis. Vinokourov, etc.

What makes cycling better than other sports (to watch)?
My personal history with it, that's all.

What is the best stage or race design of all times?
LBL
Lombardy
TDF stages in the Massif Central

Which other sports do you watch the most?
Some football, track and field.

Have you ever raced competitively yourself?
Yes, but at a low level.

How do you feel about women's cycling?
I wish they were on an equal level with the men pros.

You are writing a novel set in pro cycling – what's your plot?
TDF winner gets shot turkey hunting. Almost dies. Is rejected by teams and goes through two years of rehabilitation, never really finding his old form. On the point of quitting, he comes back to win the TDF on the very last day by eight seconds... Oh, wait...

TT or hard climbs?
TT over ridiculously steep climbs. Regular mountains over TTs.

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?
Rohan Dennis. How to further develop my TT-ing ability.

Last edited:
Where are you from?
Currently live in Oregon, US, but was born in the Czech R.

Well, it would be Betancur, if he actually showed up on a bicycle once in a while.

Probably some climbing performances that would best be mentioned in the Clinic. They just make me laugh.

Some teams having a much bigger budget than others. Plus, rider safety, or lack of.

The scenery. Even if the racing is boring there's usually some lovely scenery to look at.

No idea, as long as the scenery is good I'm good. Though, I do like the cobbled stuff as well.

Athletics, XC skiing, and whatever is on TV during the Olympics.

Not on a bike, and this is a good thing for everyone involved. My bike handling may be a bit sketchy.

Don't follow it.

TT or hard climbs?
Both; both have their place in cycling.

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you? Probably Valverde. I'm not getting any younger, so would like to know how to still look good on a bike while also getting a bit long in the tooth.

Ok, real answers (after changing all of my passwords...).

Where are you from?

Between Boston and Beirut.

Despite my username (which is a dig at Roger) I don't really have favourites and can appreciate the best at what they do, whoever they are. Nibali is probably the current cyclist I've enjoyed watching the most (although his star is on the wane) and Hinault is the rider I'm most likely to want to hear about.

Outside of the pros I would say Emily Chappell tops the list.

Hinault's LBL win in 1980.

A lack of diversity and representation.

The races within races, the story of the season were different riders peak and fade away and the fact that we can go out and ride the same roads and compare ourselves to the best in the world. I can't go pitch at Fenway, but I can go ride the Trouée d'Arenberg.

This is a hard call. For all the times it gets called the sprinters monument, I think MSR is possibly one of the best balanced races of the year, where pretty much anyone might win.

Baseball and rugby league. Free game of the day on MLB.tv is brilliant.

Yes and I occasionally still do.

I feel like it consistently gives us some of the best racing every year and that's what people claim to want to see. As far as I'm concerned, the more the better.

Retired pro teaching a budding junior the ropes, think Bull Durham but sillier uniforms...

TT or hard climbs?

I hate TTing with an absolute passion.

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?

Pretty much any decent climber to get me to measure my efforts better.

Where are you from?
i was going to remain mysterious, but...I somewhat give the answer away in one of the next questions. I live in Harelbeke, in a submunicipality that has brought this world cyclists like Stijn Devolder, Leif Hoste and Eli Iserbyt.

-Quite obvious tbfh Tom Boonen, if we're going active riders Sep Vanmarcke.

-Hmm, difficult, either KBK 2010 (cause I was there at 500meters from the line) or Roubaix 2012

-The UCI

-The commentators (Big up my mans Michel en José)

-Dwars door Vlaanderen

-Cyclocross, but if we're going non-cycling related probably basketbal

-Cyclocross and track cycling on a very low yet competitive level.

-I always watch women's cyclocross whenever I also watch the men's race. However, this is probably not the case for road cycling.

-A cyclist recruited by the FBI or Interpol to wiggle his way into a million dollar ponzi scheme.

TT or hard climbs?
-Climbs everyday of the week.

-Victor Campenaerts.

Where are you from?
Long Island, New York, USA

Primoz Roglic

Floyd Landis' ride into Morzine , 2006 Tour de France

Grand Tour routes are not hard enough and don't have enough time trial mileage

Tradition, scenery, straight up sporting competition (unlike say, what Formula 1 has become)

cavalese-aprica.jpg

Formula 1, NHL Hockey

No

I fully support them getting more opportunities to race, better wages and hopefully more TV coverage but I don't follow it very much.

A very exciting grand tour I guess

TT or hard climbs?
climbs

Where are you from?
La Suede

Joseba Beloki

Lance getting popped

Nothing that isnt already wrong with society, the economic gaps in classes are to great. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

Lately not much, to controlled to boring

Pass

Football

No

Good, probably more enjoyable then men

Revenge of the 2nd's, Create a parallel universe where the constants number 2's would win.

TT or hard climbs?
TT is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MAL would be fun downhill

Reactions: BlueRoads
Where are you from?
Paris, France

My first cycling crush was Robbie McEwen. Today I particularly follow Romain Bardet's career.

Cadel Evans becomes world champion in Mendrisio.

The WorldTour is too big, and authorities must think of a way to implement salary cap.

Its the best playground in the world, it can't be more perfect than that.

Racing on flat disjointed cobbles makes Paris-Roubaix the best.

Football. I support Olympique de Marseille.

I'm a terrible bike racer.

I feel good about that.

A Frenchman wins the Tour de France.

TT or hard climbs?
I'm French and I grew up in the 2000s.

I would choose Thomas Voeckler as I need to work my grimaces on the bike.

TRENDING THREADS