12 questions

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Where are you from?
South of England but have lived in Luxembourg for 18 years

Who's your favourite cyclist?
Samuel Sanchez, also obviously my user name obliges me to mention Escartin, I loved Kelme and then Euskatel riders in the late 90s, early 2000s
Plus obviously I am geographically obliged to mention Andy here.

Your favourite moment in cycling history?
Hmm, not entirely sure maybe Hayman's Paris-Roubaix,

What's wrong with cycling at the moment?
Too much disparity between team budgets, mountain trains

What makes cycling better than other sports (to watch)?
So much can go on, so many different stories especially during a GT, and of course the beautiful scenery

What is the best stage or race design of all times?
Another Paris-Roubaix fan here

Which other sports do you watch the most?
NFL, MLB, football, snooker

Have you ever raced competitively yourself?
Nope

How do you feel about women's cycling?
I don't really pay it much attention to be honest, maybe because I don't have any access to it

You are writing a novel set in pro cycling – what's your plot?
I'll pass on this one

TT or hard climbs?
hard climbs - with emphasis on the plural

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?
Mohoric - I could learn to climb without dying, I could learn to sprint without dying, I could learn to TT without dying, I am not sure I could learn to descend without dying.

Where are you from?

On the banks of the river Tyne

At the moment Hugh Carthy

A few, Sagan winning Paris Roubaix, Froomes finestre raid, Kwiatkowskis worlds win are a few, G-W edition (the one where G was thrown of his bike), Wiggins in 2009 TDF finishing high up on the MTFs (after watching the likes of Boardman failing in the past to be up there)

Fans who have unrealistic expectations

Not sure, I could say the scenety but I dont think thats it, difficult to put a finger on it

Stage that finished in Sheffield in 2014 TDF was a good design, not saying the best of all time though

Football (thats the one some might call soccer), Cricket, Athletics, Rugby and Tennis in that order

No, though I do enjoy Sportives, even when younger I dont think I could race in a bunch as not good enough bike handler.

Its ok, they don't get the coverage and races men get though,

About someone from a far off country (like say Kenya) goes to Europe and wins the TDF ;)

TT or hard climbs?

Hard climbs - but not angry lou has I don't think I could make it up without putting my foot down, but I do in a strange way do steeps climbs in the UK, including going up Bwylch-y-Groes, Rosedale Chiney and Hardknott (must be a form of madness),

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?

G - who would teach me how to be chilled out on a bike

Reactions: BlueRoads
Where are you from?
Anaheim California

Mark Cavendish for active and retired. Retired would be Jan Ullrich or Andreas Kloden.

Honestly, the most excited I have ever been was when Cavendish won 2015 TdF stage 7 or 2016 stage 1. I watched 2015 live and literally stood up cheering him on when he passed everyone to win. 2016 I was at work so unable to watch live and when I looked up the result, I had to triple check it to make sure it actually happened. I think between the two, 2015 was the biggest because the last 2-3 years posters, that aren't posting anymore, were constantly talking down on him and me when ever I would defend him causing me to lurk more. 2016 was a nice icing on the cake.
I think another big win of his that is often overlooked is 2011 TdF stage 5 that ended on an uphill sprint and he came from 15-20 riders back and beat a monster Gilbert by a bike length.

I guess the UCI points system that leads to more defensive racing.

I love the scenery, how raw it is, and that there is multiple ways someone can win and succeed.

I have no idea.

I watch American football and tennis.

I have not though my dad did in America but nothing crazy, just amateur for bmx though he would ride his road bike, that he modeled the parts after what Merckx and than Lemond used, from Santa Ana to Long Beach and Santa Monica.

I don't watch it but I will follow some topics if they come up.

I guess the whole atmosphere and how you can succeed in different ways.

TT or hard climbs?
I like both. A TT is you and your bike against everyone. While hard climbs start to bring tactics and allow the bold to succeed.

I wouldn't pick one for showing me how to improve but I wouldn't mind talking to Cavendish or Sagan for a day.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pick one for showing me how to improve but I wouldn't mind talking to Cavendish or Sagan for a day.

I suspect many of us would pick several riders we'd love to spend the day talking to or having them tell stories.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I don't think cycling can be considered a niche sport in this part of the world.

In Denmark, only football and handball gets more airtime, and given that handball is a joke, cycling is number two.
There's high cycling participation relative to the rest of the world in Scandinavia, but i've always thought they were a bit under-represented in the peloton. Maybe they're not population-wise?

Its a pleasant surprise to me. It means the sport has wider appeal than we think. But it also explains some opinions on riders especially the question, why doesn't this rider attack more? ;).
Yeah, I think it might, although at my level tactics have usually been "hold on as long as you can" so I'm not claiming any great insight! :D I offered to race a Zwift APR to make up the numbers this week and they've dumped me in scratch. On a flat course. And I weigh about 67kg. Going to be hell.

There's high cycling participation relative to the rest of the world in Scandinavia, but i've always thought they were a bit under-represented in the peloton. Maybe they're not population-wise?
Given that Denmark’s population is a tenth of France’s and Italy’s, I don’t think we’re underrepresented in the peloton. The Land of the Cyclops is a different tale, but the Fell Apes are not far behind.

It’s a bit niche in the sense that there isn’t as high a participation as in popular sports like football, handball, and badminton. But I’d guess it’s not far behind swimming.

But there is a wide interest in the sport, thanks to TV2’s coverage in general and to Riis, Leth, and Rolf in particular.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Yeah, I think it might, although at my level tactics have usually been "hold on as long as you can" so I'm not claiming any great insight! :D I offered to race a Zwift APR to make up the numbers this week and they've dumped me in scratch. On a flat course. And I weigh about 67kg. Going to be hell.
So first you don't want to give away any information, now you're even telling us your weight? :D

Reactions: Sandisfan

ASK THE COMMUNITY