• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

12 questions

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Where are you from?
South of England but have lived in Luxembourg for 18 years

Who's your favourite cyclist?
Samuel Sanchez, also obviously my user name obliges me to mention Escartin, I loved Kelme and then Euskatel riders in the late 90s, early 2000s
Plus obviously I am geographically obliged to mention Andy here.

Your favourite moment in cycling history?
Hmm, not entirely sure maybe Hayman's Paris-Roubaix,

What's wrong with cycling at the moment?
Too much disparity between team budgets, mountain trains

What makes cycling better than other sports (to watch)?
So much can go on, so many different stories especially during a GT, and of course the beautiful scenery

What is the best stage or race design of all times?
Another Paris-Roubaix fan here

Which other sports do you watch the most?
NFL, MLB, football, snooker

Have you ever raced competitively yourself?
Nope

How do you feel about women's cycling?
I don't really pay it much attention to be honest, maybe because I don't have any access to it

You are writing a novel set in pro cycling – what's your plot?
I'll pass on this one

TT or hard climbs?
hard climbs - with emphasis on the plural

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?
Mohoric - I could learn to climb without dying, I could learn to sprint without dying, I could learn to TT without dying, I am not sure I could learn to descend without dying.

Where are you from?

On the banks of the river Tyne

At the moment Hugh Carthy

A few, Sagan winning Paris Roubaix, Froomes finestre raid, Kwiatkowskis worlds win are a few, G-W edition (the one where G was thrown of his bike), Wiggins in 2009 TDF finishing high up on the MTFs (after watching the likes of Boardman failing in the past to be up there)

Fans who have unrealistic expectations

Not sure, I could say the scenety but I dont think thats it, difficult to put a finger on it

Stage that finished in Sheffield in 2014 TDF was a good design, not saying the best of all time though

Football (thats the one some might call soccer), Cricket, Athletics, Rugby and Tennis in that order

No, though I do enjoy Sportives, even when younger I dont think I could race in a bunch as not good enough bike handler.

Its ok, they don't get the coverage and races men get though,

About someone from a far off country (like say Kenya) goes to Europe and wins the TDF ;)

TT or hard climbs?

Hard climbs - but not angry lou has I don't think I could make it up without putting my foot down, but I do in a strange way do steeps climbs in the UK, including going up Bwylch-y-Groes, Rosedale Chiney and Hardknott (must be a form of madness),

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?

G - who would teach me how to be chilled out on a bike

Reactions: BlueRoads
Where are you from?
Anaheim California

Mark Cavendish for active and retired. Retired would be Jan Ullrich or Andreas Kloden.

Honestly, the most excited I have ever been was when Cavendish won 2015 TdF stage 7 or 2016 stage 1. I watched 2015 live and literally stood up cheering him on when he passed everyone to win. 2016 I was at work so unable to watch live and when I looked up the result, I had to triple check it to make sure it actually happened. I think between the two, 2015 was the biggest because the last 2-3 years posters, that aren't posting anymore, were constantly talking down on him and me when ever I would defend him causing me to lurk more. 2016 was a nice icing on the cake.
I think another big win of his that is often overlooked is 2011 TdF stage 5 that ended on an uphill sprint and he came from 15-20 riders back and beat a monster Gilbert by a bike length.

I guess the UCI points system that leads to more defensive racing.

I love the scenery, how raw it is, and that there is multiple ways someone can win and succeed.

I have no idea.

I watch American football and tennis.

I have not though my dad did in America but nothing crazy, just amateur for bmx though he would ride his road bike, that he modeled the parts after what Merckx and than Lemond used, from Santa Ana to Long Beach and Santa Monica.

I don't watch it but I will follow some topics if they come up.

I guess the whole atmosphere and how you can succeed in different ways.

TT or hard climbs?
I like both. A TT is you and your bike against everyone. While hard climbs start to bring tactics and allow the bold to succeed.

I wouldn't pick one for showing me how to improve but I wouldn't mind talking to Cavendish or Sagan for a day.

Last edited:
I don't think cycling can be considered a niche sport in this part of the world.

In Denmark, only football and handball gets more airtime, and given that handball is a joke, cycling is number two.

There's high cycling participation relative to the rest of the world in Scandinavia, but i've always thought they were a bit under-represented in the peloton. Maybe they're not population-wise?

Its a pleasant surprise to me. It means the sport has wider appeal than we think. But it also explains some opinions on riders especially the question, why doesn't this rider attack more? ;).

Yeah, I think it might, although at my level tactics have usually been "hold on as long as you can" so I'm not claiming any great insight! :D I offered to race a Zwift APR to make up the numbers this week and they've dumped me in scratch. On a flat course. And I weigh about 67kg. Going to be hell.

There's high cycling participation relative to the rest of the world in Scandinavia, but i've always thought they were a bit under-represented in the peloton. Maybe they're not population-wise?
Given that Denmark’s population is a tenth of France’s and Italy’s, I don’t think we’re underrepresented in the peloton. The Land of the Cyclops is a different tale, but the Fell Apes are not far behind.

It’s a bit niche in the sense that there isn’t as high a participation as in popular sports like football, handball, and badminton. But I’d guess it’s not far behind swimming.

But there is a wide interest in the sport, thanks to TV2’s coverage in general and to Riis, Leth, and Rolf in particular.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Yeah, I think it might, although at my level tactics have usually been "hold on as long as you can" so I'm not claiming any great insight! :D I offered to race a Zwift APR to make up the numbers this week and they've dumped me in scratch. On a flat course. And I weigh about 67kg. Going to be hell.

So first you don't want to give away any information, now you're even telling us your weight? :D

• Haha
Rewatching Gardeccia and Galibier 2011 along with Risoul 2016 after a long time made me realize why I loved the sport in the first place. So here we are:

Where are you from?
Istanbul, Turkey.

Nibali I guess? Not sure though.

Fuente De 2012, Risoul 2016, Paris-Roubaix 2016 ( though missed part of it ), Jafferau 2018 and Galibier 2011 were great too. I could have written Sanremo 2018 too but missed that one. Contador winning at Angliru at 2017 Vuelta after attacking for so many days was also great.

Same teams winning all the time.

Non-stop racing from March to October. Wide variety of races. Tactics, long-range attacks, races with hours of action. Races completely turning around with a few decisions.

Probably in Race Design Thread and dunno about past stages but I loved Gardeccia 2011 or more recently, Laghi di Cancano 2020 ( Stelvio from Prato <3 ).
15-profile.jpg

Screenshot-2020-10-21-at-14.17.13-1.png

Or this, but unfortunately Gavia was cancelled:
race-16-profile.jpg

This was very interesting too but COVID-19 didn't allow it to happen:
stage-20-profile2.jpg

Paris Roubaix, also a shoutout to Milano-Sanremo when it had Le Manie.

Nowadays F1, used to watch winter sports ( especially ski jumping ) a lot in the past. Also follow NBA or football a bit.

No

Nice to see it grow a bit more in the last few years. I watched some races when I was following cycling heavily. And it gives great racing. Although Van der Breggen or van Vleuten winning a lot was boring.

A rider who has been a top 8-10 rider mostly finds himself with incredible legs in the third week of a Grand Tour going all in for the win. He is a few minutes down but has a good team around with stages allowing for long range attacks.

TT or hard climbs?
Climbing, but not one-climb stages.

Van der Poel for cobbles and bike handling.

Where are you from?
Norway

The Norwegians, otherwise Van der Poel

Hushovds victory in 2010 and Kristoff winning RVV. Also Gilbert winning RVV and PR. And first time on Finestre in 2005.

Except for clinic issues. The very dominant teams of UAE, Ineos and Jumbo. And the race calendar after TDF.

The variety in racing. And nature when racing high mountains.

I'm all for combos like Finestre - Sestriere and Mortirolo - Aprica. And the Gardaneccia stage in 2011.

Football. And then athletics and various kinds of winter sports (cross country, biathlon, speed skating, alpine sking.

No

No that interested. Okay for championships like Worlds and Olympics.

No idea

TT or hard climbs?
Without a doubt, hard climbs.

Where are you from?
USA

Sepp Kuss

2021 Roubaix, probably because last year in when I really started to watch.

The ability for teams to stack up riders that could otherwise do very well on their own just to help out the very best riders. Also the lack of high quality races outside of Europe

The tactics that are involved can change the race the most out of any sport.

I feel like MSR is the perfect race design in the sense that whatever the teams want to do they can do in essence.
NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB/Nascar

No
I feel like TV coverage needs to be upgraded, but the advancements even since the start of this thread are amazing.

The best 184 riders in the world divided into 23 teams race a 3 week GT in the USA, the title Three Weeks of Cycljng Hell in the Americas.

TT or hard climbs?
Hard Climbs 100 percent of the time.

WVA, for his all around skills.

Idunno...
Sepp Kuss
...may be objectionable, but if we take that as an acceptable answer then the following is just pure reason:
TT or hard climbs?
Hard Climbs 100 percent of the time.
I mean, if you are a supporter of Sepp Kuss, then removing all aspects of racing other than climbing, and probably removing Primož Roglič from the race to prevent the Jumbo team car getting in his way, would absolutely improve the sport, no?

• Haha
Where are you from?
Germany

Alejandro Valverde. As a German, of course, I also cheered for Ullrich against Armstrong.

That's a tough one after more than 20 years of following cycling. But the first Giro stage including the Finestre in 2005 is definitely a contender. Another one that comes to mind is how Nibali turned the Giro upside down on the last two mountain stages in 2016.

The difference in budget between the 4-5 top teams and the rest is way too large. A lot of traditional races in Germany or Spain do no longer exist for financial reasons.
And a personal one (of course jokingly): That almost all monuments are ridden on Sundays, so that I cannot watch them live because I usually have soccer matches at that time.

In return, I think in the last few years, the racing itself has changed for the better. The races are ridden way more aggressively and have become way less predictable again. In the post-Armstrong era a lot of mountain-top finishes were a snoozefest, and later Sky's "I just look at my power metre" style of racing was annoying as hell.

The large amount of different factors and tactics that determine the outcome of a race. The variety of races. The scenery in the mountains. Seeing the riders go beyond their maximum and still push on. The frenetic and enthusiastic fans (especially in the mountains) who usually support every rider, not only their favorites.

I'm not sure. But probably multi-climb stages including some of Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia or the hardest Dolomite climbs like Giau.

Football (or Soccer if you are American) by far. A bit of American Football since last year.

No.

I rarely watch it. But I like that it seems to get more coverage and more attention by sponsors recently.

I have absolutely no idea.

TT or hard climbs?
Hard climbs by far. I really liked TTs when I was young, but for the last ten years I rarely watched them and if so, (apart from the Pogacar-Roglic one) they didn't really thrill me.

Last edited:
Where are you from?
Norway

The Norwegians, otherwise Van der Poel

Hushovds victory in 2010 and Kristoff winning RVV. Also Gilbert winning RVV and PR. And first time on Finestre in 2005.

Except for clinic issues. The very dominant teams of UAE, Ineos and Jumbo. And the race calendar after TDF.

The variety in racing. And nature when racing high mountains.

I'm all for combos like Finestre - Sestriere and Mortirolo - Aprica. And the Gardaneccia stage in 2011.

Football. And then athletics and various kinds of winter sports (cross country, biathlon, speed skating, alpine sking.

No

No that interested. Okay for championships like Worlds and Olympics.

No idea

TT or hard climbs?
Without a doubt, hard climbs.

Your views seem to be fairly consistent, but what has happened to your feelings towards Gilbert during the past 18 months? :D

Where are you from?
Norway

Ah, difficult. Perhaps Gilbert. And earlier Cunego.

From a biased and patriotic point of view; Kristoff's win in Flandern. Otherwise perhaps some of the toughest Giro mountain stages. First time on Finestre i 2005. Gardaneccia 2011, etc.

Well, the worst doping is probably gone, so I've to say team strength and poor stage design eliminating/reducing the chance of aggressive and entertaining riding in the mountains.. And also agree with @kdawg in his post above. The calendar after the Tour is lacking something.

Scenery and nature combined with extreme sports achivements.

Gardaneccia 2011. At least in the 18 years I've watched cycling

Football and diverse winter sports like cross country skiing, biathlon and speed skating

No

Nah, difficult question. Moderately interesting. Nowadays the Dutch woman are just too superior to make it really interesting.

No idea

TT or hard climbs?
Hard climbs by a mile

Mohoric. To help my descending skills. They're just awful.

Well, there isn't much point to cheer for a rider that isn't even close to anything these days.

And actually, I didn't even notice or check my previous post before I wrote this today!

I did assume you had totally forgotten about having posted in the thread. I don't what it says about me that I had a hunch you already had, but I am the kind of guy who still cheers for a rider who's been retired since 2017, so I might generally be a bit stuck in the past.

Where are you from?
Denmark. Pretty weird we are so many active Danes on this forum with infinite posts.

Valverde. Besides him, Im rooting for Wout, Asgreen, Pogacar, Mas and Lil Richie C.

Hard one. Either Courchevel 2005, or the Pyrenees of the 2007 Tour de France feat Rasmussen and Conta. Probably have to go with the latter, so many memories from that summer, watching the stages in a bar with my dad in France.
Innsbruck 2018 was also pretty good... and I loved and fondly remember all of the 3 latest editions of Flanders with Wout, MVDP, Asgreen and Pog.

At the moment not very much as far as Im concerned, I think cycling is at a really good spot atm. Still I dont like how many of the mountain stages are ridden, and I hate motopacing. Route-wise I'd like to see some more killer stages where 30 riders have to abandon because they can't make the time cut and top-10 on the days is spread by 5 minutes. Thats what I like to see, the weak getting eliminated and the strongest riders put the hammer down and crush it, but they should have more opportunities to do that.

The endless of good races spread throughout the year, peaking early April and July for me, even though TdF has let me down so many times. I like the diversity of the different races as well. Also I like the fact you can be invested in a race for 3 weeks.
The build-up and all the hype is great, but I guess thats the same for every sport, it just depends how much youre into it.

Good question. The harder, the longer mountain stages as possible, the better for me. I usually like all the Mortirolo-designs which I consider to be the best climb in cycling. Usually just up and down all day, that kinda stuff that makes it possible for the riders to do some epic stuff.
Otherwise I have to go the new Tour of Flanders route, my favorite race, which is incredible in its current state. Those 50 km are the by far best 50 km in cycling, and if you disagree, fight me!!

Not much, but sometimes the NBA and football whenever Denmark are playing big tournaments.

Not really, but I have ridden a fair amount of races which turned out to be extremely competitive which in theory were just sportives and stuff like that.

Rarely watch it.

Im not really into fiction

TT or hard climbs?
Well, daahh, both.

I'd like to know how Valverde trains on the regular. Apparantly the guy is training with this friends in Murcia and doesnt care about watts, I think thats very interesting
Otherwise Van der Poel, I think hes amazing, and I'd like that insane burst, but also how to train from being *** to a world beater in 2 months.

Last edited:
Idunno...

...may be objectionable, but if we take that as an acceptable answer then the following is just pure reason:

I mean, if you are a supporter of Sepp Kuss, then removing all aspects of racing other than climbing, and probably removing Primož Roglič from the race to prevent the Jumbo team car getting in his way, would absolutely improve the sport, no?
I just don’t find ITT’s fun to watch in the slightest, and that was not because of my affection for Sepp Kuss. I also hope Jumbo lets Kuss go in breaks during the Tour and be a satellite rider for Rog and Vingo.

Where are you from? Currently out of NE Indiana for the last 19 years, prior from southern California.

Who's your favourite cyclist? That would be obvious, the Cannibal, he was racing the same time I was, but I wasn't professional.

Your favourite moment in cycling history? I don't know if this was historic, but I liked it when Armstrong, in order to avoid a crash, decided to take a road bike off road at high speed during the TDF and survived. I know, kind of low key, but there as a lot of bike handling skills going on there that only Armstrong would have pulled off, his reaction time and thinking was split second right on.

What's wrong with cycling at the moment? Too much technology, it was supposed to be a simple means of transportation, they're slowly destroying that.

What makes cycling better than other sports (to watch)? I hate watching any sport!

Which other sports do you watch the most? If I have to watch a sport, and I'm bored, then I'll watch volleyball.

Have you ever raced competitively yourself? Yes, got as far as Cat 3, but I was working full time trying to feed a family and spend time with them, so training time was limited, and racing took a lot of time and money so I had to quit.

How do you feel about women's cycling? If there are men racing then why not women racing too? What I don't want to see is a man who decides he wants to be a woman and race in the women races; before we get that far and make the race unfair, then they need to have a separate race league for transgenders then it will be fair.

You are writing a novel set in pro cycling – what's your plot? I'm not a writer, I have no clue! LOL!!

TT or hard climbs? TT

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you? I think it would be Sarah Strum, she knows how to balance cycling with life, and life comes first, I wish I would have known her back when I raced.

Where are you from?
California

MVDP.

Oh, who am I kidding, I root more for Remco than anyone, but he’s such a punk I can’t admit it.

LeMond winning in '89

It's available in high quality streaming basically all year for a reasonable fee. I got no complaints.

It helps me nap in the afternoons.

Flanders.

NFL, NBA...well the Warriors moreso than the NBA.

Yes, was on a team in Seattle in the 90s.

It's getting more interesting, more coverage. Still not as interested, but hopeful.

Clean cyclist wins the Tour.

It's a comedy.

TT or hard climbs?
TT. We're so over-indexed on climbing in the sport anymore. Pendulum needs to swing back.

I'd rent a mountain bike coach. Wait...I have!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts