• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

12 questions

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting. I suppose a fictional literary work on cycling would be difficult, though. Because you probably won't be allowed to use real names of other cyclists, and then you have to create tons of fictitious characters which is necessary to emulate the scope of real cycling but annoying for the reader to have to grind through.

I can see that problem, too. But since I live in a country and regions where cycling is not really a big sports, it's a bit easier to have a workaround. The problem is still that cycling involves a lot of athletes at once, so the permission things will be far more difficult. In comparison to my tennis story, I actually used a real tennis player as the opponent - once a WTA top 100 player - without ever showing her face, but asking permission of one person is of course far more easier than from a whole peloton.

Wow, I am surprised by the lack of racing experience in replies so far. I just assumed most here had raced. Interesting.
Have to say, I'm quite surprised by this too. I can understand it in more popular sports, and therefore I can see why some forum members from nations where it is popular might not, but I always thought most people came to watching competitive cycling by doing it themselves, like with other niche sports. Seems I was wrong.

Allowed? You can use whatever names of the real world in a novel.
Almost certain this is not the case in most jurisdictions. I think you can include real people in fiction, but only if the portrayal of those people is accurate. Most fiction I read with real people included is historical, I have no idea what would happen if you were to, say, include a real cyclist and portray them as a massive doper. I think you'd probably end up with a lawsuit on your hands in a lot of places.

Where are you from?
Italy

Who's your favourite cyclist?
I have to say that the more I grow the less I root for a specific rider but If I have to say one name, it's Nibali (that I follow since 2009/10), but I also followed Evans and Samuel Sanchez when they were active. A couple of years before he retired I finally started to understand that I really liked Contador, it was late, but not too late :sweatsmile:.

Your favourite moment in cycling history?
I need to mention the Galibier stage in Tour de France 2011, the Fuente Dé stage in the Vuelta 2012, the Arenberg stage in the Tour 2014.

What's wrong with cycling at the moment?
Not much, maybe Ineos that continues to buy absolute talents everywhere, but what can you do? If you have the possibility you want the best.

What makes cycling better than other sports (to watch)?
The drama, the suspense, waiting for the storm that 90% of the time won't happen, but when it happens you know it's good.

What is the best stage or race design of all times?
Paris- Roubaix, I agree with Bolder

Which other sports do you watch the most?
Motorsport, Basketball, Football.

Have you ever raced competitively yourself?
No, but I practiced futsal and basketball

How do you feel about women's cycling?
It's good to see , but it needs to improve through more funding, and the creation of academies to increase the pool of talents, it is also needed that the salaries for the pro athletes go up.

You are writing a novel set in pro cycling – what's your plot?
I think it would be similar to the one of Primož Roglič, it' s quite amazing.

TT or hard climbs?
Hard climbs

If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?

I would choose Rohan Dennis to show me again how he flattened the Stelvio :tearsofjoy:

Have to say, I'm quite surprised by this too. I can understand it in more popular sports, and therefore I can see why some forum members from nations where it is popular might not, but I always thought most people came to watching competitive cycling by doing it themselves, like with other niche sports. Seems I was wrong.

I don't think cycling can be considered a niche sport in this part of the world.

In Denmark, only football and handball gets more airtime, and given that handball is a joke, cycling is number two.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Where are you from?
Germany
Historically: Fausto Coppi
Current: Romain Bardet
In general: any random sprinter
Basically any sprint finish. Nothing beats the excitement of a sprint royale in a cycle race.
Apart from that Richard Virenque winning Paris-Tours was an awesome moment. I hate Virenque with a passion, but this shows that any rider can win on any terrain. Plus the finals hours of San Remo, Ronde and Roubaix - the holy trinity of classics always delivers.
GTs are currently designed to be won by anorexic climbers. I want longer time trials, more sprint finishes and more classic-type stages.
The ever-changing landscapes and the deep connection between racing and geography.
No idea. Racers make the race. Stage/race design is way overrated. I loved the general design of the first week of the 1999 Tour, though.
Nothing really, apart from some Alpine Skiing.
Nope. I would have probably ended up like Ivan Quaranta (minus the wins).
I don't care about it.
Fight with women in Paris, then go fishing in the Pyrenees and watching some bull-fighting before stumbling into a bike race. Oh, wait, this plot already exists...
TT or hard climbs?
Sprints.
If you could rent a current pro rider for one day to help you improve your cycling, who would you choose and what should they show you?
I have no idea.

Its a pleasant surprise to me. It means the sport has wider appeal than we think. But it also explains some opinions on riders especially the question, why doesn't this rider attack more? ;).

Where are you from?
UK (virtually the centre of England)

From the past: Tom Boonen or Alberto Contador

Currently: It depends. Probably van Alert or Van der Poel, although Ackermann, Kämna, Tim Wellens are also up there.

Either Boonen's Paris Roubaix in 2012 or spectating irl Gilbert's Flanders win.

Governing bodies of the sport. Especially British Cycling and the UCI.

Not sure. To quote Sagan "it's flipping Cycling"

Anything in the Race Design Thread on this forum.
Realistically, any stage in the past that has seen long range attacks that shook the HC of a race up.

Motorsports (mainly F1 and endurance or GT racing), Downhill and XC skiing, Biathlon, Triathlon and sometimes Luge and Bobsleigh. May rugby at a push.

CX at national level, Road races, Crits and TTs

Bit of a Chicken or Egg situation. If you have more coverage, then more sponsors will come and the whole women's side of the sport will become better funded and supported. But also one needs more sponsors so funding is better and it will get more coverage.

Interesting concept. I'd need more than a few minutes to come up with something decent.

TT or hard climbs?
Hard climbs all day long. Although you can't go wrong with an all out solo effort against the clock (open dual carriageways with tea and biscuits at the end are optional).

Probably Van Der Poel. His skills are 100 times better than mine.

Almost certain this is not the case in most jurisdictions. I think you can include real people in fiction, but only if the portrayal of those people is accurate. Most fiction I read with real people included is historical, I have no idea what would happen if you were to, say, include a real cyclist and portray them as a massive doper. I think you'd probably end up with a lawsuit on your hands in a lot of places.

Yeah, in Germany at least it's not a problem to use real names, as long as you don't attribute stories to them which could be regarded as real or could damage the reputation. However, doing damage to the reputation may be reached easily, so you have to be careful with that. But just using the names as in "I was riding alongside van der Poel and caught his glance" is no problem and I can't imagine that it is in other countries.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

raises hand I'm from one of those countries it's niche sport. However, my husband spent the better part of 3 to 4 years in Spain while in the Air Force and that's part of where he started watching the sport. I met him after he was out the Air Force and he's the one that introduced me to the sport.

Where are you from?
Kidderminster, England.

Tough to say as there are plenty I like, without one standing above the others. If I had to pick I’d choose Cav (see below)

My dad suddenly passed away in 2016, his favourite cyclist by far was Mark Cavendish and loved the Tour de France every summer. On stage 1 of the 2016 Tour , not long after my Dad’s passing, Cav obviously won the stage and the yellow jersey for the first time. A lot of memories came flooding back and it was a pretty emotional time.

I seem to say the same thing every year, but team strength is terrible for racing. It seems Jumbo have now taken over from the Sky/Ineos reign of sucking the life out of stage races to an even bigger extent.

I like having several races in one to watch over the course of a Grand Tour, the stage win, the jersey and breakaway battles and of course GC. Also you get to see some pretty special parts of the world throughout a season.

Paris-Roubaix will always be one of my favourites.

A lot. I own shares in racehorses and broodmares so I watch a fair amount of horse racing. Plus football, American football, biathlon, cricket, golf and plenty of motorsport.

Never. Just social rides.

I don’t go out of my way to watch like I would with other sports, but I do enjoy watching when I can.

Probably some sort of ‘rags to riches’ story of a young guy in a poor country who makes it to the big time. Add in the usual moral dilemmas of the clinic and cash and I’d expect at least half a dozen award nominations!

TT or hard climbs?
Hard climbs

We don’t have any massively long mountains here, but I’d love to spend a day in the Alps with a pro and learning how to do a tough descent full gas.

Good thread! Funny to read other forum members' posts. Here's mine.

Where are you from?
Denmark

When I was a child, Indurain. When I started following cycling again after I didn't as a teenager, Contador. Currently, Evenepoel.

Contador on Fuente De or Contador winning on Angliru in 2017.

The whining from the riders and the extreme weather protocol.

The story telling. The cultural and historical impact.

Paris-Roubaix

Disc golf

No. Well, yes. I entered two races, won one and DNF the other. I quit my "carreer" after that.

I don't watch it. It doesn't appeal to me.

Probably some sort of re-telling of a biblical story.

TT or hard climbs?
Climbs, although I do like ITT's (seing I had a soft spot for Indurain, that should be no surprise)

Van Aert to show me how to do everything.

Where are you from?
Unfortunately I‘m legally not allowed to share that information

I don’t know

Man running next to Chris Froome carrying a giant inhaler

Not much

I am to lazy too write

I don’t know

I don’t watch other sports

Come on...

I don’t like it

WHO WRITES A NOVEL SET IN PRO CYCLING?

TT or hard climbs?
I can’t really decide

Uhhhhhh not sure let me think

Too extensive questionnaire...

But learning that RhD has some shot-putting experience is priceless!

I wouldn't call it "experience". More like... trying not to drop the bloody thing on my feet!

My shot-putting's probably far better than RhD's cycling, thus I'd rather get rented for a day of air racing.

My cycling is great! For the every day "getting around" bit.

Where are you from?
Ghent, Belgium

Past: Boonen
Present: probably Evenepoel but I'm a fan of the DQS team so I'd say every rider on that team.

Boonen winning his fourth Paris-Roubaix after a 50km solo and this being his fourth classic win of the season (after E3 Prijs, Gent-Wevelgem and Ronde van Vlaanderen)

I don't really know. Sure there will be lots of things that can be improved but I enjoy watching cycling so I don't want to think about the negatives.

Endurance, weather elements, variety, possibility for totally different parcours for different type of riders, close interaction with the public, multiple goals in the same (stage) race, vulnerability of the riders, beautiful and impressive landscapes, team tactics against individual tactics/performances, ...

Paris-Roubaix closely followed by Strade Bianche and Ronde van Vlaanderen

I follow lots of sports but apart from cycling I only really watch football on a regular base.

No

I follow it a little but don't feel very strong about it.

Thought about if for a moment, but I have nothing.

TT or hard climbs?
Difficult. I like them both. But no prologues or TT's of less than 15km. Proper TT's or proper hard climbs.

I would also like to improve my technique and descending skills but unlike other posters I wouldn't choose Mohoric. I don't exactly want to die and my level of skill and fearlessness will never be that high.

I'd take a rider who simply has a good but not exceptional technique and descending skills (I guess that should be pretty much every pro rider apart from Zakarin and other Reichenbachs). Now that I think of it, I also want to learn how to ride in echelons. Maybe I'll take Lampaert or Asgreen.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Where are you from?
PA USA

Il Pirata

Tie:
LeMond's 1989 final ITT
Marco's 1998 Double
Contador's 2012 Fuente De

The UCI's inability to standardize penalties-when they are called and consequences.

It's a Long Chess Match on wheels featuring the long, slow burn of Attrition, The excitement Attacks, the interplay of Tactics, But mostly that it reflects life; facing obstacles and overcoming them, failing (getting dropped) and working your way back, falling down and getting up to continue the battle.

No idea

Horse racing, figure skating.

No

I don't follow it.

Long time water carrier tells and teaches the many facets of cycling to his young son and trains him. His son becomes a Legend!

TT or hard climbs?
Climbs

Vincenzo Nibali
Removing his shoes??? :hearteyes:

TRENDING THREADS