• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

16/04 - 20/04: Tour of the Alps (Giro del Trentino)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 16/04 - 20/04: Giro del Trentino

Gigs_98 said:
I know everyone hates the new name, but I think people should get over it and call the race like it's called. The race isn't a race completely taking place in trentino anymore so of course the name was changed, and although tour of the alps isn't a great name, still using the old name and refusing to use the new one is just childish. If Paris Nice gets a new finish in Monaco and gets renamed Paris-Monaco would you still call it Paris-Nice?
Couldn't agree more.

Gigs_98 said:
I know everyone hates the new name, but I think people should get over it and call the race like it's called. The race isn't a race completely taking place in trentino anymore so of course the name was changed, and although tour of the alps isn't a great name, still using the old name and refusing to use the new one is just childish. If Paris Nice gets a new finish in Monaco and gets renamed Paris-Monaco would you still call it Paris-Nice?
Yes.

Gigs_98 said:

I was just asking a question. I just wasn't sure it was the same race until I saw the race thread. I don't care what they call the race. They can call it Bicycle Race for all I care.

Gigs_98 said:
While I get your point, the example you use isn't the best because i would still call it paris-nice, as would many (most) others.

But, on the other hand, most people call races by their geographically wrong name. Paris-Tours starts 50km away from paris, Paris-Roubaix 80km, Paris-Camembert 50km away from Paris - it doesn't even finish in Camembert, and we call amstel 'ardennes' even though it is in a different country to it. The correct name would be tyrol, but trentino is more accurate than tour of the alps, geographically speaking, as 90% of the alps isn't 'toured'.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Cunego won 2 stages at the 2009 Vuelta in impressive fashion and would've finished inside the top 10 in front of a certain Richie Porte at the 2010 Giro if not for that 15 minutes breakaway. This kicked of some little resurrection, as the little prince nearly won the 2011 Tour of Switzerland and was very prominent at the 2012 Giro where Cunego in fact was the most aggressive favorite. It was after 2012 where his performance wouldn't fluctuate anymore but become quite average. Although he looked surprisingly strong in the first mountain stages of the 2015 Giro before he fell ill. In 2016 however his climbing was pretty mediocre at beste and once Nieve set his sights on the mountains jersey, Cunego was without chance. Although that was only on the Cima Coppi were Sky played their power to reel back in Cunego. But he won way too little points in the Dolomites, because he couldn't stay off the front for longer.

I don't see Cunego being much of a factor here tbh. I expect him to go for the KOM classification at the Tour of Switzerland later this year.
2011 Tour wasn't bad either!

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
staubsauger said:
Cunego won 2 stages at the 2009 Vuelta in impressive fashion and would've finished inside the top 10 in front of a certain Richie Porte at the 2010 Giro if not for that 15 minutes breakaway. This kicked of some little resurrection, as the little prince nearly won the 2011 Tour of Switzerland and was very prominent at the 2012 Giro where Cunego in fact was the most aggressive favorite. It was after 2012 where his performance wouldn't fluctuate anymore but become quite average. Although he looked surprisingly strong in the first mountain stages of the 2015 Giro before he fell ill. In 2016 however his climbing was pretty mediocre at beste and once Nieve set his sights on the mountains jersey, Cunego was without chance. Although that was only on the Cima Coppi were Sky played their power to reel back in Cunego. But he won way too little points in the Dolomites, because he couldn't stay off the front for longer.

I don't see Cunego being much of a factor here tbh. I expect him to go for the KOM classification at the Tour of Switzerland later this year.
2011 Tour wasn't bad either!
I'm probably the only one here, who considers Little Prince's(s) 2011 TdF as his 2nd best GT only behind obviously 2004 Giro.

As for the name. I don't care what name each race has unless it's misleading. I don't find "Tour of the Alps" misleading as the race does take place in the Alps, while "Giro del Trentino" is, because a good chunk of the race (~40%) takes place outside Trentino. However, because the name change is recent and becasue "Trentino" is just more catchy i still use it's old name.

Valv.Piti said:
rick james said:
Froomes the main show...as always
For you and many journalists probably, but all I have seen so far has been a pretty weak Froome finetuning his form for the Giro. Pretty boring and unspectacular if you ask me, but it will be interesting how much better he has gotten from T-A.
I really should not do this but the opportunity is just too strong. Thanks to his last year's screw up in Vuelta mr. Froome needs to be low-key. No worry, he still has time to show his thermonuclear side. However, i don't think he has any TdF 2013 or Col du Beal left. Waiting for Bernal to win every stage in every tour possible LeMond style.

Brullnux said:
Gigs_98 said:
While I get your point, the example you use isn't the best because i would still call it paris-nice, as would many (most) others.

But, on the other hand, most people call races by their geographically wrong name. Paris-Tours starts 50km away from paris, Paris-Roubaix 80km, Paris-Camembert 50km away from Paris - it doesn't even finish in Camembert, and we call amstel 'ardennes' even though it is in a different country to it. The correct name would be tyrol, but trentino is more accurate than tour of the alps, geographically speaking, as 90% of the alps isn't 'toured'.
Yeah, but despite not starting in Paris, the race is still called Paris-Roubaix, so we use the official name. If we call this race giro del trentino, it's both geographically incorrect and not the real name

DNP-Old said:
roniek said:
DNP-Old said:
Ruudz0r said:
No kevin Rivera on de startlist (yet) :(
Yeah, I'm quite curious what he is going to race. The Giro is three weeks away and he has only 19 days of racing.
He'll race Toor du Jura and it looks like he won't be at the Giro - http://crciclismo.com/2018/04/13/kevin-rivera-listo-para-el-tour-de-jura-en-francia/
That's good, I'm very pleased with that as it would be way too early. However, after his victory in Tachira, Rivera himself revealed he would be going. Did Savio change his mind?

Thanks for the link roniek. So he is going to ride some races in France before his "main race in july" guess that is Sibiu then? I also like he is not going to do the Giro as I doubt he was ready for that, so far he has only done 1 race day in the WT (Strade Bianche, not finished) and hasnt ridden many races with a high level. There for I would have loved to have him here in the Tour des Alpes, lots of climbing, no pressure on him and a race with quite a high level.

Gigs_98 said:
Brullnux said:
Gigs_98 said:

Yeah, but despite not starting in Paris, the race is still called Paris-Roubaix, so we use the official name. If we call this race giro del trentino, it's both geographically incorrect and not the real name
Yeah but the official name of the Tour of Yorkshire is the Tour de Yorkshire and I categorically completely refuse to ever call it that. I'll call this tyrol and sometimes trentino when i forget it's changed, but tour of the alps is a really wank name

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site

movingtarget said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Plus the Alps stretch ~1,200 kilometres across eight countries
so it is a daft label to give to this highly localised race.
It's a marketing department fantasy.

No doubt marketing departments over achieve most of the time.............
All about the moolah.

They can't really call it Dolomites Tour either since the Tyrolean mountains doesn't even belong to the Lienzer Dolomites.

Giro del Trentino-(Sud) Tirolo sounds a bit stupid and you can't expect the Italians to use the old Austrian name Welschtyrol for their race either.

TRENDING THREADS