• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2009 Paris-Tours

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

coppiman said:
I now have the stream on cycling.tv for some reason, i thought it was just for the US? Thanks for that anyway.

Who is calling the race on cycling.tv?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The speed is high even even though we're still a fair way from the line. This will tire the chasers and make it more likely for an attack to stick.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
*Standing ovation*

Heh. Bozic blew up and Boonen wasn't counting on it. Bozic basically stopped and completely screwed over Boonen.
Gilbert got very lucky.....and I'm glad he did :)

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Really seems that Boonen is one of the boys who really needs a lead out train, because Gilbert's savvy outdid Boonen today. TB left his sprint for too late, following Bozic til Gilbert had a formidable gap. A gap that once he put on his turbos, he still couldn't catch Gilbert. And frustration was visible as he slammed his handlebar whilst he crossed the finish line just after Gilbert.
Congrats to Gilbert!:)

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:
Really seems that Boonen is one of the boys who really needs a lead out train, because Gilbert's savvy outdid Boonen today. TB left his sprint for too late, following Bozic til Gilbert had a formidable gap. A gap that once he put on his turbos, he still couldn't catch Gilbert. And frustration was visible as he slammed his handlebar whilst he crossed the finish line just after Gilbert.
Congrats to Gilbert!:)

Nevertheless, great to so this kind of Boonen: attacking, not waiting for the bunch sprint. I hope he starts to realise his sprinting days are over.

But what about P. Gilbert! The guys is so confident he drops his teammate Van Avermaet and doesn't even fear sprinting against Boonen & Bozic. This was Gilbert's payback for the lost Belgian title against Boonen.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
Nevertheless, great to so this kind of Boonen: attacking, not waiting for the bunch sprint. I hope he starts to realise his sprinting days are over.

But what about P. Gilbert! The guys is so confident he drops his teammate Van Avermaet and doesn't even fear sprinting against Boonen & Bozic. This was Gilbert's payback for the lost Belgian title against Boonen.

Agreed! BTW have you seen that TB is pondering more focus on I.T.Ting in the future?!
Kudos to Gilbert on the double, it was an exciting finish, no argument from me!
Now, On to Lago di Como and the Giro di Lombardia. Beautiful setting in Northern Italy!!! Can Gilbert grab that last trophy too? He sure is on a roll now.

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Eddy never won?!?
I was looking through the past winners and didn't see the king. Can it be that Eddy never even made the podium at Paris-Tours? I see that his contemporaries -
Freddy Maertens, Herman Vanspringel, Verbeeck, Godefroot, Rik Van Looy - all won. Surprising not to see the Fast Eddy in the mix... any reasons why?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
smcfly said:
Eddy never won?!?
I was looking through the past winners and didn't see the king. Can it be that Eddy never even made the podium at Paris-Tours? I see that his contemporaries -
Freddy Maertens, Herman Vanspringel, Verbeeck, Godefroot, Rik Van Looy - all won. Surprising not to see the Fast Eddy in the mix... any reasons why?

Together with Merckx I won all classics there are, I won Paris-Tours, he won all the others
- Noël Vantyghem

TenCharactersBecauseTheForumDoesn'tCountQuotesForGodKnowsWhatReason

A

Anonymous

i kinda feel sorry for boonen.. must be hard realising that you arent the rider you where..

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
smcfly said:
Eddy never won?!?

According to wikipedia on Paris-Tours: "Eddy Merckx never won Paris–Tours; he should have triumphed in 1968 but handed victory to team mate Guido Reybrouck, pulling out of the sprint, to thank him for help earlier in the season."

dimspace said:
i kinda feel sorry for boonen.. must be hard realising that you arent the rider you where..

Like so many before them, such as Museeuw. Not necessarily a bad thing. Boonen has a bright future and chance to win all kinds of races if he focuses more on TT.

Boonen lost today because of an error, choosing Bozic' wheel. His sprint was much, much faster than Gilbert's.

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

don't agree, Boonen is still one of the best one day riders in the world and if you let those three do this finish a 100 times boonen will probably win it about 90 times. today he simply made the wrong calculation, he picked bozics wheel (assuming bozic was the fastest next to him in a clean sprint) and when gilbert went he assumed bozic would go after him allowing boonen to finish the job, what he didn't realise was that bozic didn't have the strength left for a real sprint and by the time he realised that gilbert was to far away.

In a clean sprint you would have seen the belgian championship all over again...

if you're referring to the fact that he's perhaps no longer a topsprinter I have to say that he was never a real sprinter and that it's logical that as he gets a little older the kind of rider he is also changes a bit, compare it to museeuw who won quite the number of sprints in his younger years but wasn't a real sprinter...