• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2009 Paris-Tours

May 6, 2009
Visit site
On Sunday October 11.

Provisional start list - cyclingfever.com or even Paris - Tours start list - ASO

Although Valverde is not racing and Astana are not bothering (or weren't invited). Probably for the best since they don't have anybody to do anything of note in the race. I think Boonen will win if he can get his lead out train working well.

CARTE.gif

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think Gilbert will struggle to get away as everyone will be straight on to his move as he was last years victor. Cancellara will be my pick... but if it comes down to a sprint i think it will be between Farrar and Griepel. (Can't split them)

After the Circuit Franco-Belge, I would expect to see a sprint coming down to Greipel, Farrar, Boonen and Hammond. None of the others seem likely to get up and beat these and I only throw Hammond in for the form he is holding from the Vuelta.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Imagine if Cav was riding Paris Tours. OMG!!!!! He would absoloutely kill everyone else especially if Columbia could get there leadout train right (which they do 99% of the time).

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Teams like Lotto, Saxo and the spanish ones will work hard to avoid a mass-sprint. I'm not so sure QuickStep want to sprint against Greipel/Farrar neither.
A break-away group will go all the way.
Gilbert, Breschel, Chavanel,Possato - at least one of them will be in the group - and one of them will win it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
this is a sprinters race so i think it will be FARRRRAARRRR.....to win

1997 Tchmil, Andrei
1998 Durand, Jacky
1999 Wauters, Marc
2000 Tafi, Andrea
2001 Virenque, Richard
2002 Piil, Jakob

2003 Zabel, Erik
2004 Dekker, Erik
2005 Zabel, Erik
2006 Guesdon, Frederic
2007 Petacchi, Alessandro
2008 Gilbert, Philippe

And in 2007 Devolder f-cked up the chances of him and Gilbert in the last km's or it would have been an escape victory again..

It's supposed to be a sprinters race, but usually it's not.

ak-zaaf said:
1997 Tchmil, Andrei
1998 Durand, Jacky
1999 Wauters, Marc
2000 Tafi, Andrea
2001 Virenque, Richard
2002 Piil, Jakob

2003 Zabel, Erik
2004 Dekker, Erik
2005 Zabel, Erik
2006 Guesdon, Frederic
2007 Petacchi, Alessandro
2008 Gilbert, Philippe

And in 2007 Devolder f-cked up the chances of him and Gilbert in the last km's or it would have been an escape victory again..

It's supposed to be a sprinters race, but usually it's not.

How did Virenque win this again?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
off topic, but

BeachBum said:
He attacked solo 12k after the start. Durand (naturally) bridged up to him and they stayed away all day. Virenque won the 2 up sprint.
Now Jacky Durand is a rider I would like to see still riding

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
BeachBum said:
He attacked solo 12k after the start. Durand (naturally) bridged up to him and they stayed away all day. Virenque won the 2 up sprint.

Did you just make that up? ak-zaaf is right, this is how he really won:

AFPvirenquewin.JPG

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
BeachBum said:
No I went back in the CN archives (http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/2001/oct01/paristours/results.shtml), and it looks like I misread '2 up break' for '2 up sprint.'

Spotted Richard DID drop Durand 7k from the finish on a hill. My bad on that part.

But Virenque did go solo after 12K, and Durand did bridge--according to CN.

I watched it live on TV in Spain and I remember well with about 5 kms to go it didn't seem like Virenque would make it after being away all day. But he made it and one of the best climbers of his generation won the "sprinters classic".

A

Anonymous

nz-tim said:
Now Jacky Durand is a rider I would like to see still riding

Couldn't stand the guy. Suicide breaks should never be anyone's specialty...

TRENDING THREADS