• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2009 Tour of Poland

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
mmm they wont controll the race the way they did at the tour, I just value Greipel as a great sprinter. should be more inteersting then the tour sprints anyway :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
To anyone who watched, it's very clear, the difference between Cavendish's current leadout train and the crap that Greipel had to make do with today.

Greipel is in no way explosive, yet the sprint started at a very slow speed. It could only be worse for him if he had to lead out from way far out. Oh wait, he did.

And still came second. Mightily well done by him. Clearly the strongest sprinter today.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Why be negative?
Poland is a good interesting race, even if you don't like it.
yeah ok... big riders are going to fly all the way to australia for an average race in the middle of the season? I think not. TDU is in the best postion possible i'd say, as a season warm up - get race fit - race.

I'm not being negative, i'm being a realist. Tour of Poland is a c grade event. I do agree though, tdu won't ever work as the travel is too far away for the big riders to race there.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
To anyone who watched, it's very clear, the difference between Cavendish's current leadout train and the crap that Greipel had to make do with today.

Greipel is in no way explosive, yet the sprint started at a very slow speed. It could only be worse for him if he had to lead out from way far out. Oh wait, he did.

And still came second. Mightily well done by him. Clearly the strongest sprinter today.

So Bozic got a better lead out?

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I'm not being negative, i'm being a realist. Tour of Poland is a c grade event. I do agree though, tdu won't ever work as the travel is too far away for the big riders to race there.

Oh turn it up - If the TDU was held as a late March event in the middle of Europe, it would still a be a **** event because it has a rubbish course in a boring city, and there is nothing that can really be done to counter that. At least this race is genuinely competivite and travels up more than a couple of bumps.

A bit more on topic - I was happy to see Hilton Clarke so high up in the standings, with a bit of luck he might be able to get a really good points result out of this race, which should help him to jump ship next season.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
buninyong bunny said:
oh turn it up - if the tdu was held as a late march event in the middle of europe, it would still a be a **** event because it has a rubbish course in a boring city, and there is nothing that can really be done to counter that. At least this race is genuinely competivite and travels up more than a couple of bumps.

+1

top > tdu

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok. Off topic now.

The TDU is a boring route because of its time slot not because there is nothing better to be had. Last time they tried to put them up a difficult hill all the riders protested cos it was too early in the season. I wont argue that Adelaide is a boring city, mostly thats to do with all the bloody Sydneysiders moving there to raise their spawn, but that has sweet FA to do with how good the cycling is.

BTW. I like Poland and the Le Tour de Polonge or what ever they want to call it.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Furlan took the 2nd stage. Seems like a lot, lot cyclists want to win a sprint. Its little different from what we saw in TdF, no Columbia domination, no trains, very close battle. Nice

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
MKirilenko said:
Furlan took the 2nd stage. Seems like a lot, lot cyclists want to win a sprint. Its little different from what we saw in TdF, no Columbia domination, no trains, very close battle. Nice

Tomorrow's stage seems a little tougher for the pure sprinters. That could add even more excitement to the race. :)

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Manuel Quinziato twitter:
2nd stage here in Poland! Looking the people who comes to watch us I'm starting to think that ugly girls are killed as the born!
haha :D

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
MKirilenko said:

Anywhere to watch replays and/or live online, preferably in English?

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
TrudyTas said:
Anywhere to watch replays and/or live online, preferably in English?

Check worldcyclingchannel1's channel @ YT. Only last K tho.
And live apparently on Eurosport, dunno which one. Or maybe just replays.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ouch! that was almost a liquigash in that sharp right turn!!!

hmm what happened to greipel. He is peed off...

1Guarnieri
2Davis second
3Greipel
4Napolitano
5Abakoumov
6Roelandts
7Haedo
8Patersky
9Brown (one of the ones that could be laid off ;)

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Edvald Boasson Hagen wins today's stage in a massprint, finishing just centimetres ahead of his own teammate Andre Greipel.

Top 10:

1 BOASSON HAGEN Edvald THR
2 GREIPEL André THR
3 ROELANDTS Jurgen SIL
4 NAPOLITANO Danilo KAT
5 CHAINEL Steve BBO
6 ABAKOUMOV Igor ISD
7 FORSTER Robert NRN
8 BROWN Graeme RAB
9 GAVAZZI Francesco LAM
10 CHAVANEL Sebastien FDJ

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Having now watched that sprint, I would like to say that Davis is a massive softcock. I mean fair enough Griepel sprinted irregually, but surely Davis could have continued and probably got himself in front of Roelandts. I mean if Hagen was able to stay out in front of Greipel, the sprint must not have been very fast, so it couldn't have been too difficult for Davis.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Buninyong Bunny said:
Oh turn it up - If the TDU was held as a late March event in the middle of Europe, it would still a be a **** event because it has a rubbish course in a boring city, and there is nothing that can really be done to counter that. At least this race is genuinely competivite and travels up more than a couple of bumps.

Back off topic. Judging by the course profiles there's only one stage in this years' Tour of Pologne with any signifcantly bigger bumps than the average TDU stage. The problem with the TDU is the aversion to hard stages in January and a lack of competitiveness largely due to it's position ludicrously early in the season. Comparing the winners lists for both races suggest that the same quality of riders are winning both events so I'm quite happy to see them on equal footing. The only difference is the ToP suits 'classic' rouleurs and the TDU is more suited to sprinters who can hold a wheel over a short sharp climb.

BB you're just miffed that it's one event that Victoria hasn't been able to steal... Adelaide may not be as 'exciting' as Melbourne but we have better beer, beaches, coffee and wine so I for one am not complaining.

TRENDING THREADS