• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games - Road racing

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know about the course of the Delhi games for the road race and tt? Type of rider it suits? Any news on who will be actually going over there and risking their lives when racing? I heard that Millar was going after he was given permission to compete by his national governing body.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
It sounds pretty nasty to me. Not for climbers! Talking to someone who was there a couple of months back, apparently it's pretty well dead flat apart from a slight rise to start/finish. The course winds through inner-city Delhi. Out and back near-14km each lap - not even a loop. Plenty of corners, some narrow roads which are due to be resealed by race day. The men will ride 12 laps, the women eight. The temp is likely calm, maybe 30 degrees C. I think the women race in morning so heat less of a factor.

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
The Route for the Road Race has been finalised and the the details can be seen at this website.

I have marked the route on a google earth image. I have lived in Delhi for three years and the route is pretty flat with a few roundabouts which may cause problems. The route

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
The Route for the Road Race has been finalised and the the details can be seen at this website.

I have lived in Delhi for 3 years. The route is pretty flat. There are a few roundabouts which may cause problems. The heat during the day should be around 30-35 degrees which will be a big factor. A course for sprinters. Anybody got any idea who are the big sprinters participating ?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
koolkinks said:

I have lived in Delhi for 3 years. The route is pretty flat. There are a few roundabouts which may cause problems. The heat during the day should be around 30-35 degrees which will be a big factor. A course for sprinters. Anybody got any idea who are the big sprinters participating ?

I will be there for the cycling events but I don't know much about the schedule or facilities. Have you seen the velodrome? Late last year I heard rumours of the Games being cancelled because so much was unfinished. How are the facilities coming along?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think Davis might be there and mat hayman will probably want to defend his title.
A good thing about the Commonwealth games is that the british countries actually have to compete by themselves and not join as one force like in the olympics which is totally stupid.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
koolkinks said:
A course for sprinters. Anybody got any idea who are the big sprinters participating ?

Cavendish is listed in the Isle of Man team, but the whether he turns up or not is a different matter. (I think he will as it's the only time he gets to be properly Manx).

auscyclefan94 said:
Yes, Cav will have to compete for HIS country for once.

you aussies are such a load of little *****es about that..

it's just like at the last olympics when we roundly kicked you **** and you came up with the that fact that it didn't count because they were all sitting down sports.

we're better, get over it convict

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Pharazon said:

it's just like at the last olympics when we roundly kicked you **** and you came up with the that fact that it didn't count because they were all sitting down sports.

We may be convicts but where did we come from again?????? oh thats right Great Britain. People like you give me the ****s.

Most people in Australia that actually understand cycling (yes we are a minority unfortunately) admitted that Great Britain were just better at the last Olympics. Stop generalising us becuase all it does is show us how small minded you are.

auscyclefan94 said:
british countries actually have to compete by themselves and not join as one force like in the olympics which is totally stupid.

Why's it stupid? The UK is officially one single state - so it makes sense to compete as one - it's the Commonwealth games (and football and rugby union teams) that are the exception.
I'm English - and I like it when we split into Eng/Sco/Wal/NI, but even to me it doesn't make sense. We'd soon moan if the USA tried to send separate Texas/New York/California teams to the Olympics.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yes, Cav will have to compete for HIS country for once.

I think you'll find that inside Cav's passport it will say 'British Citizen'.

The Nation is only broken up for the Commonwealth games (which are pretty meaningless to be honest) to give the rest of the countries a chance.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pharazon said:

So why don't you compete for your country? ANSWER THE QUESTION!

If we divided up the medals into countries, the aussies would of owned any of the british countries. Maybe Australia should join foces with New Zealand as it seems fashionable for the Brits to do it.

And if we did that we would of been ahead of britain in the olympics for the total medal count.
Yes Cav is a british citizen but the country that he belongs to is the Isle of man!

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Sneekes said:
Why's it stupid? The UK is officially one single state - so it makes sense to compete as one - it's the Commonwealth games (and football and rugby union teams) that are the exception.
I'm English - and I like it when we split into Eng/Sco/Wal/NI, but even to me it doesn't make sense. We'd soon moan if the USA tried to send separate Texas/New York/California teams to the Olympics.

what get's me is they break england up in every single way don't they?? world cup,cricket, almost every sport..and don't you have to show your passport to get into scotland?? wales...:confused:
but to me your all the same potato eatting moaners :p

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
mowie133 said:
what get's me is they break england up in every single way don't they?? world cup,cricket, almost every sport..and don't you have to show your passport to get into scotland?? wales...:confused:
but to me your all the same potato eatting moaners :p

To be fair, its sounds as though you're doing the moaning!

In Cricket, it's actually the England and Wales Cricket board. It's effectively a GB team in all but name.

Rugby. Nobody plays the sport so GB has to be broken up or there would be nobody to play, and no 'six nations' etc...

Football. Who cares.

With regard to the passport to get into Scotland issue. erm you'll find it's no different to driving across any county border. There is more of a Border between the Australian states/counties (or whatever you call them). you even have different car number plates!

Anyhow. Australia is effectively a continent. Perhaps we should compete as Europe.

auscyclefan94 said:
So why don't you compete for your country? ANSWER THE QUESTION!

If we divided up the medals into countries, the aussies would of owned any of the british countries. Maybe Australia should join foces with New Zealand as it seems fashionable for the Brits to do it.

And if we did that we would of been ahead of britain in the olympics for the total medal count.
Yes Cav is a british citizen but the country that he belongs to is the Isle of man!

Our country is officially the United Kingdom, we are officially British, absolutely none of my official documentation mentions England or English - I am a british citizen, there is no such thing as an English citizen.
We may as well say that Queenslanders have no right to celebrate the medals of those from NSW.
I don't know why you Aussies are so touchy about the number of Olympic medals - in terms of medals per population you far outperform us! Away from the competitive pub talk I think most British sports fans would acknowledge Australia as probably the best performing sports country in the world (relative to their size). It's just a shame that some Aussies seem to have a chip on their shoulder about any British success at all.

A

Anonymous

True

Sneekes said:

but what about teams from Hawaii, Puerto Rico or, dare I say, Diego Garcia or Guantanmo Cuba?

Just quit bickering and be good little subjects of Her Majesty.

A

Anonymous

This is how I remember cycling in India

sdgvg5.jpg

might be different now...

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Andy99 said:
In Cricket, it's actually the England and Wales Cricket board. It's effectively a GB team in all but name.

Should be England, Wales and South Africa the way England cricket teams have been filled for the past 20years.

So where does the Commonwealth Games RR stand in the WGAF scale of 1-10?

Worlds RR/Monuments = 10
Olympics RR/other classics = 9
Semi classics (K-B-K etc) = 8
Strade Bianchi etc = 7
Espoirs' Paris-Roubaix = 6
Commonwealth RR = 5?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
So where does the Commonwealth Games RR stand in the WGAF scale of 1-10?

Worlds RR/Monuments = 10
Olympics RR/other classics = 9
Semi classics (K-B-K etc) = 8
Strade Bianchi etc = 7
Espoirs' Paris-Roubaix = 6
Commonwealth RR = 5?

Yeah, you're probably not far wrong there. I would say a 4, along the same sort of level as the TDU;)