• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Volta ao Algarve

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Starts on Wednesday and Contador, Leipheimer, and Kloden are all making their debuts for the season. All three will enjoy the fact that there is a 17km TT.

Team Astana for the Volta ao Algarve: Alberto Contador, David de la Fuente, Maxim Gourov, Andriy Grivko, Jesus Hernandez, Daniel Navarro, Daniel Noval, and Sergey Renev.

Team RadioShack for the Volta ao Algarve:
Andreas Klöden, Levi Leipheimer, Tiago Machado, Sergio Paulinho, Gregroy Rast, Sebastien Rosseler, Gert Steegmans, and Thomas Vaitkus.

If what I have read, and what Isso has said is true, then when we can expect Machado to try and be in every break, or try and out smart the sprinters on the run into the finish line. Basically he is Portugal's answer to Jacky Durand.

thehog said:
Live on EuroSport to. Looking forward to watching. TDU & ToQ has been hard work.
Unfortunately not. The Volta site has announce no live feeds. ES only have 15 minutes of evening highlights.
Anyhow, this one should be Levi's, as he usually peaks in February.:rolleyes:
Team Astana for the Volta ao Algarve: Alberto Contador, David de la Fuente, Maxim Gourov, Andriy Grivko, Jesus Hernandez, Daniel Navarro, Daniel Noval, and Sergey Renev

Team RadioShack for the Volta ao Algarve: Andreas Klöden, Levi Leipheimer, Tiago Machado, Sergio Paulinho, Gregroy Rast, Sebastien Rosseler, Gert Steegmans, and Thomas Vaitkus

Mellow Velo said:
Unfortunately not. The Volta site has announce no live feeds. ES only have 15 minutes of evening highlights.
Anyhow, this one should be Levi's, as he usually peaks in February.:rolleyes:
Team Astana for the Volta ao Algarve: Alberto Contador, David de la Fuente, Maxim Gourov, Andriy Grivko, Jesus Hernandez, Daniel Navarro, Daniel Noval, and Sergey Renev

Team RadioShack for the Volta ao Algarve: Andreas Klöden, Levi Leipheimer, Tiago Machado, Sergio Paulinho, Gregroy Rast, Sebastien Rosseler, Gert Steegmans, and Thomas Vaitkus

Check EuroSport2. One hour per day..... no?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
If what I have read, and what Isso has said is true, then when we can expect Machado to try and be in every break, or try and out smart the sprinters on the run into the finish line. Basically he is Portugal's answer to Jacky Durand.

Uhm, no. Durand was tactical genius :p

It'll be interesting to see if Machado is going to submit to Bruyneel's will and be a well-behaved lamb who does nothing but sit in the pack and fetch bottles or if he's going to be his usual self.

A press release from AC (posted on his website and from which the quotes in the CN front page article were derived):

http://www.albertocontador.com/prensa.detalle.php?id=297

Have you changed your training or have done it as previous years?

No, I have done more or less like other years, perhaps with more long trainings in 2009, with the idea to adjust a little more weight, because I'm still 63,5 kg, 2 kg above the weight of the Tour , and you can feel that.

How about the course of the Volta ao Algarve 2010, it’s better or worse than last year?

It's great for doing a good training, but it is a little worse than 2009, because the time trial is shorter and completely flat, people told me. Last year was very hard and it allowed me to draw differences. This year, however, there are other riders with more posibilities on this course.

How about participation, who are the favorites?

Waiting the official confirmation, I know that come Leipheimer, Klöden, Luis Leon Sanchez, Ivan Gutierrez, Samuel Sanchez and Vandevelde. And there will have, among others, Chavanel, Ezequiel Mosquera and Joaquin Rodriguez, not forgetting the riders of the Portuguese teams, which are very good and at home have a special motivation.

Do you want to check yourself in front of your rivals?

No, I just want to check my form and how do I respond in the race, not a matter of comparison.

So for those expecting him to put on a show, you will be disappointed. The first real race (i.e., that he will contest) will be Paris-Nice.

Publicus said:
A press release from AC (posted on his website and from which the quotes in the CN front page article were derived):

So for those expecting him to put on a show, you will be disappointed. The first real race (i.e., that he will contest) will be Paris-Nice.

I remember last year he wasn't entirely motivated for the Dauphine title and he finished third in a very competitive manner - so personally I expect the same at the Volta:)

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I remember last year he wasn't entirely motivated for the Dauphine title and he finished third in a very competitive manner - so personally I expect the same at the Volta:)

I think that last year he downplayed his chances in all of his races except the TdF, so I hope you're right. But he's also honest about how well suited courses are to his own strengths. I think it was Catalunya last year where he said in advance that that year's route was better suited for Levi, and he was right.

I just checked the Eurosport 2 schedule, and it confirmed what I've read in news stories and at the official site. The news was that after ten years, Eurosport was going to air 12 minutes of highlights a number of times each day. On their schedule it lists them as 15 minutes, but the rest would be commercials. What's uncertain for most of us right now is whether or not live coverage exists in Portugal or elsewhere, or if it's like the Tour Down Under. The race did say they hope that in the future Eurosport will air the last hour of the race.

The auto-translation of the news item, which was separate from the press release at the official Contador site, wasn't clear, but he seems to be testing out prototype road and Time Trial bikes. Quotes and links are in the training & racing in 2010 thread.

He says his power levels are higher than this time last year, he's riding with pals Hernandez, Noval and Navarro, and with De La Fuente for the first time, and he's got Martinelli in the team car for the first time. I'd love to see a win, but I'm just excited that the team gets to start working together with the Tour de France in mind. The fitness, strategy, teamwork and bikes will all improve as the season progresses.

theswordsman said:
I think that last year he downplayed his chances in all of his races except the TdF, so I hope you're right. But he's also honest about how well suited courses are to his own strengths. I think it was Catalunya last year where he said in advance that that year's route was better suited for Levi, and he was right.

I just checked the Eurosport 2 schedule, and it confirmed what I've read in news stories and at the official site. The news was that after ten years, Eurosport was going to air 12 minutes of highlights a number of times each day. On their schedule it lists them as 15 minutes, but the rest would be commercials. What's uncertain for most of us right now is whether or not live coverage exists in Portugal or elsewhere, or if it's like the Tour Down Under. The race did say they hope that in the future Eurosport will air the last hour of the race.

The auto-translation of the news item, which was separate from the press release at the official Contador site, wasn't clear, but he seems to be testing out prototype road and Time Trial bikes. Quotes and links are in the training & racing in 2010 thread.

He says his power levels are higher than this time last year, he's riding with pals Hernandez, Noval and Navarro, and with De La Fuente for the first time, and he's got Martinelli in the team car for the first time. I'd love to see a win, but I'm just excited that the team gets to start working together with the Tour de France in mind. The fitness, strategy, teamwork and bikes will all improve as the season progresses.

Actually it was Castilla y Leon, but your overall post is well taken. And welcome back.

looking at the parcours, I think everyone is looking forward to stage 3:)
Friday, February 19 174 km
Castro Marim → Alto do Malhão
here is the profile:
profile-3.png

hfer07 said:
looking at the parcours, I think everyone is looking forward to stage 3:)
Friday, February 19 174 km
Castro Marim → Alto do Malhão
here is the profile:
profile-3.png

It's going to be a monster day. The first 100 km seem like a steady ramp up, then drops off and the fireworks begin. And the first two stages aren't exactly flat either:

Stage 1

profile-1.png

Stage 2

profile-2.png

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Alberto is just BLUFFING with this "Press Release" lol. The talk of "training less" and "being heavier" than last year is BS for sure. I expect Alberto to win this race by an even GREATER margin than last year. Twitter does not lie - he is feeling stronger and his bike is stiffer and more responsive.The FingerBangs from the podium this week will be the first of many many to come this year.

Polish said:
Alberto is just BLUFFING with this "Press Release" lol. The talk of "training less" and "being heavier" than last year is BS for sure. I expect Alberto to win this race by an even GREATER margin than last year. Twitter does not lie - he is feeling stronger and his bike is stiffer and more responsive.The FingerBangs from the podium this week will be the first of many many to come this year.

It's quite conceivable that he doesn't have the same form as this time last year considering the time away from competition and the chaos that ensued over where he would be riding and with whom. I don't think he had anywhere near the distractions and obligations in 2008 from end of July to January that he was confronted with this past year at the same period. What he is downplaying is his early season form, not necessarily his ability to improve in targeted areas.

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Yeah I saw that. Apparently he is have a twitter time trial. I guess a bunch of folks are going to show up and race him for 14 miles. That apparently passes for training these days. Who knew. :p

Hmm yes an odd thing, but maybe he wants to put down some serious power and see how it goes, and maybe a little competition will help to motivate himself? He should be training on his own though instead of messing around :p.

TRENDING THREADS