• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Giro d'Italia rumours

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Now before you lot start, obviously it is a few months before they announce the route, but I'm creating this thread to find out if they are any rumours for the route for next year's race? Or anything really, from how you would wish the stages would be like. So far it starts in Turin to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Italian unification, and will end in Milan.

Also, how would they do it, go straight down to near Napoli, and then turn around and come back up and give the a horrid 3rd week in the Dolomites? I just hope they do the Montalcino stage again.

Expect stages in Sicily.

rumored preliminary route

1° TAPPA TORINO (TTT)
2° TAPPA ALBA-PARMA
3° TAPPA FIDENZA-QUARTO
4° TAPPA LA SPEZIA-VIAREGGIO
5° TAPPA FIRENZE-TALAMONE
RIPOSO
6° TAPPA MARSALA-CEFALU'
7° TAPPA CAPO D' ORLANDO-ETNA
8° TAPPA LOCRI-CAMIGLIATELLO SILANO (o una crono nella Locride)
9° TAPPA PAOLA-ASCEA
10°TAPPA CAVA DEI TIRRENI-TEANO
11°TAPPA TEANO-LANCIANO
12°TAPPA AVEZZANO-LIDO DI OSTIA
13°TAPPA RIETI-CASTEFIDARDO
14°TAPPA RAVENNA-JESOLO
15°TAPPA PORDENONE-RAVASCLETTO (O MONTE ZONCOLAN)
16°TAPPA CORTINA-NEVEGAL o BELLUNO-NEVEGAL (CRONO)
17°TAPPA LONGARONE-VITTORIO VENETO
RIPOSO
18°TAPPA COMO-CERVERE
19°TAPPA MONDOVI'-SESTRIERE
20°TAPPA SUSA-MACUGNAGA
21°TAPPA MILANO (CRONO)

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The first stage of the race will be on Saturday May 7th 2011 from Venaria Reale to Piazzetta Reale in Turin city center and and it will be a Team time trial that measures 22 kilometers.

Coming to the last stage of the 94th Giro d’Italia, it will be a spectacular individual time trial into the centre of Milan. Sunday May 29th, all the “survived” riders will ride one by one into the landmarks of the city, from Piazza Castello to the heart of the city, in Piazza Duomo.

http://www.sportcal.com/News/release_article.aspx?articleID=75213&rss=y

The presentation, like the one for the Tour de France, will be in October. I think the Vuelta one was in December last year?

roundabout said:
Expect stages in Sicily.

1° TAPPA TORINO (TTT)
2° TAPPA ALBA-PARMA
3° TAPPA FIDENZA-QUARTO
RIPOSO
6° TAPPA MARSALA-CEFALU'
9° TAPPA PAOLA-ASCEA
11°TAPPA TEANO-LANCIANO
14°TAPPA RAVENNA-JESOLO
RIPOSO
18°TAPPA COMO-CERVERE
20°TAPPA SUSA-MACUGNAGA
21°TAPPA MILANO (CRONO)

With Basso focusing on TdF and now the potential for stages around his own manor, I reckon Nibali will be really up for that.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Zoncolan and Sesrierre are the two mountains i recognise from that list, anyone know any others that may be in it?
ZONCOLAN=AWESOME

It seems that the stage from Locri to Camigliatello Silano is confirmed and will finish up Monte Scuro at 1600 meters after a 10 km (shallow) climb.

Etna if confirmed should also be a MTF

Nevegal is a MTT

a stage to Sestriere may feature Finestre again

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I would've liked for them to leave the Zoncolan alone next year. Although I love the racing there they shouldn't do it each year. I'd rather see the Blockhaus again, or the Vesuvius

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Must be honest, I raise an eyebrow when I read both Sestrieres and Susa.
We all know which town is at the foot of the Colle delle Finestre.;)

Macugnaga? To the foot of the Monte Rosa, or beyond?

You took the words right out my mouth mate, Colle Delle Finestre.....

roundabout said:
Expect stages in Sicily.

1° TAPPA TORINO (TTT)
2° TAPPA ALBA-PARMA
3° TAPPA FIDENZA-QUARTO
RIPOSO
6° TAPPA MARSALA-CEFALU'
9° TAPPA PAOLA-ASCEA
11°TAPPA TEANO-LANCIANO
14°TAPPA RAVENNA-JESOLO
RIPOSO
18°TAPPA COMO-CERVERE
20°TAPPA SUSA-MACUGNAGA
21°TAPPA MILANO (CRONO)

Looks simlar to last year and therefore is likely to be a huge success.

TTT for first stage in Italy as always. crono to finish. 3rd week in high mountains. A mountain crono just for fun. that cortina Nvegal crono has to be similar to Kronplatz no?

No stelvio? Oh well. They probably will find another legendary mountain this year.

As great as the Zoncolan is you shouldnt have a stage it 2 years in a row. There is however one other option.

the other option is to have a stage every year like PAris in the TDF and Madrid in the Vuelta. Both of those are boring. I would love it if the Giro showed them how it should be done, by making the greatest mountain in gt history a permanent fixture. I would support it because it would probably succeed in bringing hundreds of thousands of fans every time, and over time gain mythical status (if it doesnt have it already)

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Haha, a stage finish on Mt. Etna. There's just nothing like the Giro. Bring it on.

I was at Etna last week. There is no paved road above 2000m and there was still snow from about 2700m. Visibility was nil and it then there was the wind, rain and sleet. All of this in Sept.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
fox1981 said:
I was at Etna last week. There is no paved road above 2000m and there was still snow from about 2700m. Visibility was nil and it then there was the wind, rain and sleet. All of this in Sept.

There have been Giro stages at the Etna in 1967 and in 1989. The finish line should be about 1700 metres.

Camigliatello Silano-Monte Scuro is interesting. It will be 230k long.

But I hope, that this course won't happen like this. There are too many transfers in it. Riding 230k and having about 200-300k of transfers the same day is the typical Zomegnan stuff. Don't really like that.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Are there multiple routes up the Zoncolan, or am I thinking of some other climb? If so, I would expect that they will use a different one to last year.

The Hitch said:
Yes but the one they used last year is way better. I see it as a waste to use the other route. If you are going up the Zonc do it properly.

Blimey, you are a hard task master. The other side of the Zonc ain't exactly easy.
OK, it's only the last few kms that are wall-like, but the final kick up is evil.

Now, this Susa to Macugnaga stage.
Unless they have something truly evil, like a goat path, I can't see how you get from the former, to the latter, without hitting the flat roads.

I had thought they might be looking at making it similar to Mortirolo/Aprica finish, given the final drag is almost 30kms, but under 4% average............

Pordenone is about 80-90km south of Ovaro. Ravascletto is on the Sella Valcalda. There's a good chance that if they're finishing in Ravascletto itself the finish will be to climb Zoncolán from either side but probably Ovaro (as this year), then descend down to Sutrio and turn left into Ravascletto. That would entail climbing from about 550m to 1000m. Also if they turn right at Ravascletto itself they could climb up the Strada Panoramico de Vette, but I don't think that's paved very far or that there would be room for a stage finish on it.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
http://www.sportcal.com/News/release_article.aspx?articleID=75213&rss=y

The presentation, like the one for the Tour de France, will be in October. I think the Vuelta one was in December last year?

Yes, the Vuelta was presented in December last year and is expected to be so this year as well. They need some time to do the final tuning to the course for next year based on the development and outcome of this year's race. The only thing that has been made public is the departure place: Benidorm, a good place for a nightly ride :D

Libertine Seguros said:
Pordenone is about 80-90km south of Ovaro. Ravascletto is on the Sella Valcalda. There's a good chance that if they're finishing in Ravascletto itself the finish will be to climb Zoncolán from either side but probably Ovaro (as this year), then descend down to Sutrio and turn left into Ravascletto. That would entail climbing from about 550m to 1000m. Also if they turn right at Ravascletto itself they could climb up the Strada Panoramico de Vette, but I don't think that's paved very far or that there would be room for a stage finish on it.

They are going up and DOWN :eek: the Zoncolan. Mother of God. For his own safety I hope that Arroyo bloke doesnt take part. Going up 30% gradients is painful. Going down them can kill you.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
They are going up and DOWN :eek: the Zoncolan. Mother of God. For his own safety I hope that Arroyo bloke doesnt take part. Going up 30% gradients is painful. Going down them can kill you.

Good lord, or Nibali for that matter! Remember how he went flying down the slopes of the Giro this year when he won a stage? That was terrifying. I really don't think they should put 30% slopes downhill in the race.