• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Giro d'Italia rumours

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vonn Brinkman said:
Good lord, or Nibali for that matter! Remember how he went flying down the slopes of the Giro this year when he won a stage? That was terrifying. I really don't think they should put 30% slopes downhill in the race.

Yep Nibali too and Samu. Harmonn said Niabli was doing parts of the Grappa descent without hands on handle bars, but then Harmonn talks a lot of crap so i dont know if it was true

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yep Nibali too and Samu. Harmonn said Niabli was doing parts of the Grappa descent without hands on handle bars, but then Harmonn talks a lot of crap so i dont know if it was true

Was absolutely true he was changing his bar position with both hands at the same time between corners, i remember it because it was so unbelievably good but dangerous, his bike handling skills are behond compare

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Just like a few of the people above I'd also like to see the Stelvio, but we have to remember it's rarely used. Only been used 6 times in 93 editions, in fact.

Yeesh, the presentation is only 20 days away. But anyways

TTT is certain 20 kilometers IIRC, but you can look up the exact length

Unofficially - MTT Belluno - Nevegal (probably about 12 km)

Very much a rumour -a long flat TT in Romagna in the second week

Maybe-maybe-maybe-maybe a TT to finish the race in Milan

please please please many mountain km's and not a nibali suited route. please i would love to see ricco v.S anton battle it out in the mountains, with also starring scarponi, nibali and sella (maybe even pellizotti and/or wiggins in top-form,) and maybe some european stars ( mentsjov, kreuziger, kiserlovski, vino, mollema, one moviestar guy) and/or a big suprise like rujano was in 2005 (maybe durate or sb from the columbian team?) in a battle where every second counts.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
considering euskaltel don't ride the giro, I think your ricco V anton dream might not come to be.

If RCS plays nice with the UCI on the WorldTour debate, then Euskaltel will be in the 2011 Giro as all ProTeams will be required to ride all events on the WorldTour. That's obviously a pretty big if, and then Euskaltel actually sending Anton would be another big if...

I for one would love to see them send Sammy Sanchez just so we can watch him go down the Zoncolan. He'd drop Nibali on the climb, then get a 3-4 min gap on everybody who summits with him on the descent.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
considering euskaltel don't ride the giro, I think your ricco V anton dream might not come to be.

I am also not sure that vacansoleil will get a ride in the giro? You would think they would of gone for them last year if they were going to select them for one of the grand tours.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Just like a few of the people above I'd also like to see the Stelvio, but we have to remember it's rarely used. Only been used 6 times in 93 editions, in fact.

Is there a reason why it's so rarely used?

royalpig180 said:
If RCS plays nice with the UCI on the WorldTour debate, then Euskaltel will be in the 2011 Giro as all ProTeams will be required to ride all events on the WorldTour. That's obviously a pretty big if, and then Euskaltel actually sending Anton would be another big if...

I for one would love to see them send Sammy Sanchez just so we can watch him go down the Zoncolan. He'd drop Nibali on the climb, then get a 3-4 min gap on everybody who summits with him on the descent.

Paolo Savoldelli to come out of retirement for this race.

galdeano have alreay said that anton should ride the giro in 11 and as zomegnan haven't accept the new uci world tour yet, euskatel is included in the top 17 teams rule. so they will be there if t hey want to. and they would bring a nice team with anton as captain and sicard and nevez as super domestiques.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I would like to ride the Stelvio (the manager of my team/LBS has) one day, although I'm afraid it won't be next year if my plan of going over the Classics comes off, then by the time I would get to Italy after the RVV and Roubaix, IIRC, the roads are still closed (or is it still possible to cycle up because you happen to be a nutcase who should be doing time in a padded cell?).

May 6, 2009
Visit site
According to the front page, the Zoncolan will be in next year and that the stage will start in Leinz, Austria and climb four mountain passes, and it will be right towards the end of the race. Will be epic.

Out of interest, the Sutrio side that Basso won on this year, was that the side that Simoni won in 2003, or was that from the other side?

Anton himself said he would love to do the Giro - Vuelta double if possible in 2011. And Sanchez also wants to ride the Giro once. So if they will be invited compulsary I can see a pretty decent team with Anton in good form and Sanchez building to the Tour for example. Add some Nieves and Sicards and they will have one of the most solid teams of the race.