• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Giro d'Italia rumours

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I'd seen that (or the former part anyway). I was just refuting ACF's implication that Euskaltel wouldn't be invited, because they have been invited to the last two, they've just chosen not to attend. They probably will attend in 2011. It's certainly a Euskaltel parcours.

Sorry, didn't know that!:eek:

This should be an amazing race for the spectators. It looks great, but just to be contrary here are two negative aspects that occur to me:

1) The distinct lack of flat stages means that recovery is even more important than usual. And that's an invitation to funny business in this sport.

2) While I find endless sprint stages as boring as the next man, sprinting is part of the sport. This sort of parcours means that no sprinter can conceivably win the points jersey and only a handful of stage wins are open to them. A top sprinter would have to be nuts to ride this Giro, let alone finish it.

Of course, this second issue means that a smart third tier sprinter could target the race and look for a couple of stage wins against much weaker competition than usual. And no sprint trains (surely no major team would be crazy enough to send a whole bunch of sprint helpers) means that the few sprints there are should be a bit more chaotic and unpredictable than usual. So even this isn't all bad.

3) The ridiculous toughness of the route combined with the possible absence of Contador from the Tour means that we could see an unusually weak field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros
I'd seen that (or the former part anyway). I was just refuting ACF's implication that Euskaltel wouldn't be invited, because they have been invited to the last two, they've just chosen not to attend. They probably will attend in 2011. It's certainly a Euskaltel parcours.

Euskaltel WILL be invited, not because they have been invited to the last two, but because of the 2008 agreement regarding guaranteed invitations to the GTs, OR, if the agreement IS changed for the UCIs World Tour, they are still guaranteed an invite :rolleyes:

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
They could have made the whole course "healthier" without taking the thrill out of it. Put the 2nd rest day right after the Zoncolan stage and then make atleast one of the 2 stages between the mountain ITT and the Macugnaga a sprinters stage where the gc guys really can recover.

issoisso said:
He said he wants to be there and he wants Antón there.
Antón then proceeded to refer to the Giro as "my favourite race".

Euskaltel worried, but we do not want to do the Giro ...

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=33746&tp=n

Igor Gonzalez de Galdeano, Euskaltel manager: "The Tour of Italy is not covered in our program - said in an interview with Race - and if you force us to race it will be a problem."

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
max Sciandri has said that taylor phinney will possibly do the giro looking for a stage win. Possibly the one to Orvieto which has some dirt roads on it.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Is Euskaltel still running with 23 riders? If so, it makes things very tricky with regards to squad depth trying to do three GT's, plus all the other PT races, and other smaller races that they do throughout the year.

craig1985 said:
Is Euskaltel still running with 23 riders? If so, it makes things very tricky with regards to squad depth trying to do three GT's, plus all the other PT races, and other smaller races that they do throughout the year.

Exactly. see earlier remarks by Igor at
http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/txtzfiche.php?berid=10565

Igor González de Galdeano valora disputar el Giro de Italia en 2011 con Igor Antón y volver así a la ronda italiana tras dos años de ausencia. “Es una opción”, aclara el mánager naranja que antes de tomar una decisión definitiva tiene que ajustar la planificación de una plantilla que será sólo de 23 corredores a tres Grandes Vueltas, Giro, Tour y Vuelta, así como conocer el recorrido y hablarlo con un Antón que ya lo corrió en 2005 y que siente una especial predilección por la carrera rosa.

and in Biciclismo today

In their plans, however, is not to contest the Tour of Italy, despite being aware that it is well suited to the characteristics of a climber like Igor Anton. "In principle we rule out the Giro. "

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=31900