• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 IAAF World Athletics Championships.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Damn I so wish i had been able to see that.

Glad that people are posting in this thread and into the worlds though even if half the posts belong in a babes off bikes thread.

Anyone have a stream?

Better yet, might eurosport player work accross borders?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a stupid rule for sure. But Bolt has only himself to blame. He was feeling the pressure from blake before the start. It's a shame to see all the work go down the toilet (independently of the athlete affected).But It was also good to see Bolt eat some humble pie in front of millions.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Damn I so wish i had been able to see that.

Glad that people are posting in this thread and into the worlds though even if half the posts belong in a babes off bikes thread.

Anyone have a stream?

Better yet, might eurosport player work accross borders?

Dont know, I had it on Channel 4 in the UK but you have to feel for the Korean spectators, they probably feel robbed.

A very exciting 10k this morning (or whenever it actually was). That balding Ethiopian who kicked down Farah is supposedly 22.

Bekele dropped out! Hasn't finished a race on the track in 2 years now. The king is dead. long live the king. (who that is I don't know yet)

The short hurdles should be very exciting. I'm looking also forward to seeing some of the younger US guys mix it up in the 1500 and 5k.

To throw a piece for discussion, every athlete is being blood tested at the championships. Many dropped out in the last few weeks claiming new injuries. We'll see if it actually catches anyone at the meet, but I like it as a deterrent nonetheless

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
A very exciting 10k this morning (or whenever it actually was). That balding Ethiopian who kicked down Farah is supposedly 22.

Bekele dropped out! Hasn't finished a race on the track in 2 years now. The king is dead. long live the king. (who that is I don't know yet)

The short hurdles should be very exciting. I'm looking also forward to seeing some of the younger US guys mix it up in the 1500 and 5k.

To throw a piece for discussion, every athlete is being blood tested at the championships. Many dropped out in the last few weeks claiming new injuries. We'll see if it actually catches anyone at the meet, but I like it as a deterrent nonetheless

LOL. Powell was more clever than Bolt, by dropping out early. Bolts false start was too little too late. OTOH, he´ll be protected...

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
damn didn't know i don't follow athletics closely.i know that friedrich is injured too

Well it is going to be farce, both are injured and gold goes to 194cm girl:D
Blanka is actually opsess with Stefka Kostadinova 209cm, and it becomes seriously.

Too bad for Bolt, but he will be here in Zagreb at 13th september for i heard 250 000 $:D.
Dude it is hilarious 10 sec and even goverment donate about 1/3 of that money. We are going to be in serious **** after Bolt. Do not to mention tickets are gone for 70 and 150 euros:D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
mr old born where are you from, croatia?

Poor old Bolt the one false start rule is very harsh, although I can see why they have it..

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
...impaired runner pistorius finished 2nd to last in his heat. an impressive dude anyways...

hammer throwers: my god, i'm surprised to see some really well-aged apples among them, some look in their 50s if not 60s (the polish and italian guys ?).

are my eyes seeing it right or this is a telle mirage.

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I find it really frustrating trying to determine an unfamiliar athlete's nationality via his national flag in the TV graphics. Don't the networks realize that most viewers are unfamiliar with most national flags? Why not use the standard three letter abbreviations- USA, CAN, GBR, FRA, ESP, AUS, CHN, JPN, etc. Virtually everyone knows these. Or would we be putting some graphics people out of a job? :rolleyes:

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Rouetheday said:
Don't the networks realize that most viewers are unfamiliar with most national flags?

Really? Ok, there are some smaller nations I'd struggle to identify but I think I'd be fine with most of them, I just assumed everyone knew them?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
oh my, pole snapped in 2 pieces as the athlete was surging up...never saw this before. i wonder, can they sue the company making them if a serious injury results ?

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
patterson_hood said:
Really? Ok, there are some smaller nations I'd struggle to identify but I think I'd be fine with most of them, I just assumed everyone knew them?

Well, you know what they say happens when you start 'assuming'. :p

Seriously, though, do you know the flags of countries in Latin American, Eastern Europe, Africa, Southeast Asia? If so, I'm impressed, but I'm betting you're in the minority.

For what it's worth, I'm confident I could name the capitols of all 50 U.S. states. :eek:

The Hitch said:
Anybody watching this. Our poor cousin is having its blue ribbon event.:p

Kenya already owning Womens long distance. 6 out of 6 medals.

Right now its the 100 qualifiers and they look very interesting.

Justin Gatlin is back:) And theres this Lemaitre character who is the first caucasian to ever break.

It is very ****ing off however to keep hearing how "great" bolt is etc etc. "Greatest athlete in the world" etc.

Same way when watching tennis they always say all other sports are jelous that they dont have Nadal and Federer, the 2 greatest humans in history, yada yada yada.

Bolt temporarily not so great after breaking and getting disqualified from the 100 metres final but he is still in the 200 and will probably start very slowly !

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone saw the 110m hurdles final? Crazy race. Liu almost taking Robles, then hits the last hurdle and falls back to 3rd. Robles was latter disqualified for invading Liu's space. Within all this mess, Richardson gets the gold medal!:eek:

They were talking on eurosport about a possible repeat of the final...

400 m was a good one. I like Felix and was cheering for her. But Montsho was strong throughout the competition. One could see it coming to this.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
canyonball said:
Anyone saw the 110m hurdles final? Crazy race. Liu almost taking Robles, then hits the last hurdle and falls back to 3rd. Robles was latter disqualified for invading Liu's space. Within all this mess, Richardson gets the gold medal!:eek:

They were talking on eurosport about a possible repeat of the final...

400 m was a good one. I like Felix and was cheering for her. But Montsho was strong throughout the competition. One could see it coming to this.

Ah no. They never ever repeated a race. Do this guy of ESP know that?

There will be some back and forth discussions behind the curtain, in the end a winner will be announced...

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Ah no. They never ever repeated a race. Do this guy of ESP know that?

It was on the after-show. I don't get to hear the actual words from Green and the reporter, only the translation. So maybe a mistake on that department.

On the replay, the only thing I could see was Liu messing up the entry to the last hurdle. Don't recall any contact or invasion from Robles, although he does "talk" to Liu at the end of the race. I interpreted the gesture like Robles saying sorry, but...we'll see.

Theres chatter about Blake flinching and setting off Bolt in the 100m

Keep an eye on Blake's leg tot he right of Bolt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiIDlaujtZc&feature=player_embedded

A little absurd, but there is a twitch. Another website pointed out the rules:

1) From Rule 162.5. "On the command 'On your marks' or 'Set,' as the case may be, all athletes shall at once and without delay assume their full and final set position."

2) From Rule 162.5. "After the command 'On your marks' or 'Set,' if an athlete disturbs other athletes in the race through sound or otherwise, the Starter shall abort the start."

3) From Rule 162.8. "The Starter should warn or disqualify only such athlete or athletes who, in his opinion, were responsible for the false start."

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/2011/falsestart-0828.php#ixzz1WQZ07u6U

Chain-gate, Block-gate... whatever. The writers for the above website love to pretend to be cunning and prolific journalists.

Allyson Felix ran really fast for Silver. She's thin but I think shes much better in the 200. American men were embarrassing in the steeplechase heats. One more drug tid-bit, the Olympic Champ Lashawn Merritt was busted for PED's in the spring, and blamed a male-enhancement supplement. Now he's back, without shame for either part of the episode

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
Theres chatter about Blake flinching and setting off Bolt in the 100m

Keep an eye on Blake's leg tot he right of Bolt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiIDlaujtZc&feature=player_embedded

A little absurd, but there is a twitch. Another website pointed out the rules:

3) From Rule 162.8. "The Starter should warn or disqualify only such athlete or athletes who, in his opinion, were responsible for the false start."

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/2011/falsestart-0828.php#ixzz1WQZ07u6U

Chain-gate, Block-gate... whatever. The writers for the above website love to pretend to be cunning and prolific journalists.

Allyson Felix ran really fast for Silver. She's thin but I think shes much better in the 200. American men were embarrassing in the steeplechase heats. One more drug tid-bit, the Olympic Champ Lashawn Merritt was busted for PED's in the spring, and blamed a male-enhancement supplement. Now he's back, without shame for either part of the episode

That shows you still can look beautiful and being fast, unlike all those Roids-"Women" out there.
Felix reminds me of gracile Evelyn Ashford. And (many of) the others look like Marlies Göhr and Marita Koch. Ugly...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
canyonball said:
It was on the after-show. I don't get to hear the actual words from Green and the reporter, only the translation. So maybe a mistake on that department.

On the replay, the only thing I could see was Liu messing up the entry to the last hurdle. Don't recall any contact or invasion from Robles, although he does "talk" to Liu at the end of the race. I interpreted the gesture like Robles saying sorry, but...we'll see.

I think the chinese are bad loosers. I saw nothing other than Liu struggling himself at the last hurdle.