• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 1: Passage du Gois - Mont des Alouettes 191.5 km

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Samu cant stay up front at all times because he doesnt have the same caliber of domestiques. No LLS or Spartacus on EE.

But I do think there is something wrong with Contador and Sanchez getting punished for the crash that happened at 2km. That was inside the 2k zone, they get held up, but for some reason my riders opponents get patted on the back and told its all right, theyll get their time back, while he gets his Tour dreams thrown out of the window.

I have a right to be angry about that.

Who's fault is that? I agree that it is unfortunate for Samu but I don't see how Samu was significantly punished for getting stuck behind. Of course the crash was unlucky but the FACT is Contador and Sanchez were way too far back. EE surely have some riders who can work on the flat a bit?? It is not all about taking climbers to the tour.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
While I do think it was unfair that Contador's group was 40sec(?) back when they hit the crash at 2km to go, and then come over the line 1:20 down as they were held up and are given 1:20...I'm glad that Alberto will have to race for this. I'll take a stab and so the Radioshack boys will be almost 2 minutes up by the end of the TTT so Contador will actually have to attack from more than 3km out on MTF if he wants to win.

That pu55y Shleck did not wait; but, he says someone should wait for him. What a pu55y.

auscyclefan94 said:
Who's fault is that? I agree that it is unfortunate for Samu but I don't see how Samu was significantly punished for getting stuck behind. Of course the crash was unlucky but the FACT is Contador and Sanchez were way too far back. EE surely have some riders who can work on the flat a bit?? It is not all about taking climbers to the tour.

They have Castrovi.. oh wait

May 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Samu cant stay up front at all times because he doesnt have the same caliber of domestiques. No LLS or Spartacus on EE.

But I do think there is something wrong with Contador and Sanchez getting punished for the crash that happened at 2km. That was inside the 2k zone, they get held up, but for some reason my riders opponents get patted on the back and told its all right, theyll get their time back, while he gets his Tour dreams thrown out of the window.

I have a right to be angry about that.

The rule clearly states that if there is a crash in the last 3kms then all riders IN THAT BUNCH get the same time. The fact he got held up by the second crash is tough ****, he wasn't in the bunch for the second crash so he doesn't get the same time. Period. I understand the frustration but that is the rules and every bike racer know how crucial it is to be in the front 20 at the end of a race. The fact EE doesn't have any strong riders for the flat to position Samu is their own fault.

The only reason your up in arms about this anyway is because Samu was involved. If he was in the front group but Conti got caught behind you would be over the moon for Samu.

Iker_Baqueiro said:
+10. I hope Andy doesn't cry when he can't change his gear correctly and Contador finishes him.

This sort of post is entirely unreasonable.

I don't particularly like A. Schleck. In fact his "only one race matters" attitude really annoys me. I dislike Contador for other reasons, but whatever else you can say about the guy, he treats the cycling season with respect. If he enters a race, he tries his best to win it, even if he's not at peak form. As a cycling fan, as opposed to just a Tour fan, I have to respect that.

However, Schleck has nothing to apologise for when it comes to this stage. He did not send his team to the front. He didn't put out an order to drop the hammer. He didn't drop back himself, but he was in a bunch with all of the major GC riders bar two. He hasn't won a GT. He's not in a position to take the field so lightly that he'll hand most of them more than a minute of a headstart. He behaved exactly correctly in riding with his group, but not pushing for an advantage.

There are loads of reasons to have a problem with Andy, but this stage isn't one of them.

auscyclefan94 said:
A lot of racing before Paris, the losses are significant but tbh it is only the first stage and their is plenty more racing.
Exactly. What was no planned changes the strategies but does not , by all mean, end the racing. We now shall have a Contador who must attack where probably is planning was based on defending before. It could mean a different race for him but also for the others who have shot from being riding for second to dream about yellow in Paris

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
lilyprotector said:
i'm confused by all the comments that saxo wasn't pulling (and was having euskatel do the work). it looked like contador and the one saxo rider with him were working as hard as they could. is this in reference to not pulling after the second crash in the 3km? just trying to understand.

what i don't understand is contador getting caught out in the back again. i would have expected him to learn from that mistake two years ago.
What I don't understand is why there were only two Saxo riders back with Contador - the entire team is built around him winning the Tour, so why didn't the entire team drop back to pace him after figuring out he was caught up in the crash?

EDIT: never mind, just realized all of the other Saxo riders were behind AC.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
you guys should stop insulting schleck for being a hypocrite at least he didnt order his team to set the pace. IMO they were really fair. They just stuck with the front group which is the right thing to do. I would have though andy would have wanted to get revenge for last year by ordering his team to set a hard pace.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
The crash was Shreks chance, his chain slip moment, but he wasnt in a position to capitalise on it. Game even now, he wont get another chance.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
mickkk said:
The crash was Shreks chance, his chain slip moment, but he wasnt in a position to capitalise on it. Game even now, he wont get another chance.

didnt he gain 1:14 minutes. what did you expect him to do order his team to the front. if he did that guys like you would be scolding schleck

woodie said:
The only reason your up in arms about this anyway is because Samu was involved. If he was in the front group but Conti got caught behind you would be over the moon for Samu.

*** edited by mod ***

Those are some very serious accusations. If Contador was the only one caught behind the and the organisers gave him the 1.20 penalty i would be just as angry about the thing.

Look through my posting history and you will find i am always against riders getting punished for things that are not their own fault and against outside interference.

Also where do you get that i hate Contador. Youll find that I reffer to him as The Great One.

*** edited by mod ***

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
I wouldn't blame either of them.

The spectator didn't step into the field; the Astana guy had no place to move. So it just happened.

Having looked at the replay a number of times what happens is when the peleton approach the man holding the end of the flag shown in the blowup was standing on the road. He stepped back off the road. The lady who had been standing behind him facing the wrong way was now exposed and she was standing on the road. The Astana riders seeing the man and flag move off the road moves to the right towards the edge of the road not seeing the lady and hits the lady and half the peleton goes down.

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
whatever happened, however fair it is, we should get a better race now. AC will probabley have to blow the field appart earlier and hopefully Sammy will be able to follow.

What has happened and what will happen will probabley not help wiggins chances. A controlled race is what he wanted. now we could get mahem. Hopefully.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Calm down Hitch no need to get so personal and start swearing. The organisers didn't impose a penalty on anyone, it was their actual time. They screwed up by not being far enough forward and getting caught behind the crash. They have no one to blame but themselves. There was no artificial time penalty imposed. It's racing mate so grow the hell up and try to look at it objectively.

I never said you hated Conti I was making the point that if Samu benefited from it you would be happy for him.

Also, next time you quote me please include the full post and respond to the facts of it rather than personally attacking me. They crashed outside the 3km mark so they had to chase. Period. That's the rules. Deal with it. Plus it's only the first day and anything can happen over three weeks.

dlwssonic said:
you guys should stop insulting schleck for being a hypocrite at least he didnt order his team to set the pace. IMO they were really fair. They just stuck with the front group which is the right thing to do. I would have though andy would have wanted to get revenge for last year by ordering his team to set a hard pace.

I guess he's had enough of being a hypocrite after last year.

dlwssonic said:
you guys should stop insulting schleck for being a hypocrite at least he didnt order his team to set the pace. IMO they were really fair. They just stuck with the front groi think we should give up on people being fair when talking about Andy. Im up which is the right thing to do. I would have though andy would have wanted to get revenge for last year by ordering his team to set a hard pace.

I think we should give up on people being reasonable when talking about Andy. I'm just surprised no one as lambasted him for not helping Contador chase back on. Or conspiracy theorys that it was he and Frank who placed the fan there that caused the crash.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
I think we should give up on people being reasonable when talking about Andy. I'm just surprised no one as lambasted him for not helping Contador chase back on. Or conspiracy theorys that it was he and Frank who placed the fan there that caused the crash.

you are an example. no one is thinking about the stage were andy was stupid, they are all thinking about the neutralized stage. and it does makes sense... a lot.

Not had time to read back through all the posts but does anyone know why the second crash happened? Cav said that Goss was involved, G Thomas says he was alongside Wiggins but managed to make it past while Wiggins got stuck behind it. Not read or seen exactly what happened though.

c&cfan said:
you are an example. no one is thinking about the stage were andy was stupid, they are all thinking about the neutralized stage. and it does makes sense... a lot.

I agree with the general consensus on the neutralisation of that stage belive it or not. But some of the stuff said about him and leopard are just silly

No_Balls said:
Yes, Saxobank need to have their fair share of blame for todays outcoming. Not because he himself was were he shouldnt have been but for the far from convincing work they put up after the crash.

Having said that, they wont lose 40 seconds to Leopard on a 20 km timetrial.

Agreed, though I put the blame mostly on Riis, who should of told the team to get AC to the front of the race by the 20km mark. These guys have radios, so give me a break. AC and Riis messed up. On the other hand we don´t know if it was inattention, tired legs, dropping back for a particular reason or whatever that had AC behind. Still as some have said, this means he will have to attack on all fronts and will make the race far more interesting. The mtn stages are going to be electric!

Tangled Tango said:
Agreed, though I put the blame mostly on Riis, who should of told the team to get AC to the front of the race by the 20km mark. These guys have radios, so give me a break. AC and Riis messed up. On the other hand we don´t know if it was inattention, tired legs, dropping back for a particular reason or whatever that had AC behind. Still as some have said, this means he will have to attack on all fronts and will make the race far more interesting. The mtn stages are going to be electric!

Agreed.

I imagine that if you ride nearly 200 k, without incidents, you may relax a bit, thought sneeks in who says nothing is going to happen, and generally you paying a bit lesser attention then normal. Perhaps that is what happened.

Anyway. If this were something that occured to a rider less willing to attack, and more inclined to the art of wheelsucking, it would have worried my belly, but since it is AC we have a real race in our hands. Let´s see now how his form responds in the mountains to make a proper judgment.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
Hang on a second. I don't particularly like Mini Schleck, but he's not actually saying something unreasonable. Every ds, team and rider knows that a GC contender shouldn't be mucking about in the back half of the peloton with 10 km to go, and particularly not in early stage when people's nerves lead to silly rider errors.

Contador and Sanchez and the Garmin riders were badly positioned. The crash was a random incident, but that there would be a crash at some point was always quite likely.

As for Cancellara neutralising the stage, that's the fault of the idiots who went along with the demands of a guy riding in the interests of riders who had been left behind. I actually sort of admire his cheek in asking others to go along with it.

There's a great story in Millars new book about placement in the peleton.
This is one of the early stages of the tour (Millar is in yellow I think - prologue win), and Millar explains how he can see Lance sliding back through the peleton to were Millar is.
"What the hell are you doing David?"
"Chatting with my friend"
"This is the ****ing Tour De France, not some .... small time race. Now get to the front!"
"Yes, Lance."