• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France, Stage 12: Cugnaux - Luz-Ardiden, 209 km

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tme trial calculations

Sea The Stars said:
I am wondering about the time Andy would need on others going into the time trial:

Frank -0:45
Cadel +1:30
Contador +0:45
Basso -0:30

And Frank:

Andy +0:45
Cadel +2.15
Contador +1:30
Basso +0:15

How accurate is that?

Also is Voeckler likely to hang in there much longer?

I thik Basso is a better time trialist than Andy Schleck. Also taking the yelllow jersey off Voeckler might be a pain in the *** than most people think.

auscyclefan94 said:
Good analysis as usual Galic Ho. I guess one positive from a disastrous day for rabobank is that Ten Dam is looking quite strong.

Cunego surprised me as I kinda gave up hope on him but if he rides strongly through the Pyrenees and the Alps then he could definetly top 5. Basso looks quite good to me. He has an interesting style for a climber as he doesn't really have a big acceleration but more just a continual high turn of pace on the climbs. He's one of the contenders who doesn't mind setting the tempo on the front.

Evans and basso need to realise that the Schlecks are going to tag team them therefore they need to wake up to that and almost work together in a way.

One thing I must say, Sassi would of loved to of seen both basso and Evans both looking strong duking it out with the big boys.

The Schleck's obsession with Contador was really annoying.

yr. good if one of Sassi's boys wins the tour. nice way to honour him.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Martin: Ouch, but I kinda expected that to happen sooner or later
Velits: Unlucky
Basso+Szmyd: wow
Evans: thats it matey. Its yours to lose now
Andy: Not convincing
Frank: looking good. Nice attack.
Contador: Had hoped for a better result, but had kinda expected this. Will be tough for him. Can only hope for him to recover for the alps.
Samu: Awesome, though he lost a little to much time towards the end worrying to much about the stagewin.
Cunego: Freaking amazed by the prince. Hadnt have expected that.
Leopard-team: Voigt was awesome. The rest of the team surprisingly bad. Especially Fuglsang.
Voeckler: Had expected him to hang on to the jersey, but not to do it so well. If he can keep thisd up he can do a really good GC.
Rolland: one of the strongest domestiques out there. Really positively surprised with the whole team tbh.
Jeannesson: Love to see young frenchies who can do some great stuff in the GC. God knows that France needs that by now. They got a lot of interesting young riders atm.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Well i would point out that hes exactly 5 seconds better off than 10 days ago.

Had Cadel or Basso or one of the Schlecks been dropped then there would be reason to hope, but they all still looking strong and are way way ahead of him.

Just to pile on. Hitch was there any possible result yesterday that would make you happy? If not then don't watch...

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I think Andy is waiting for the Alps.

Reports today that Contador is suffering bigtime withsaddle sore. Actually has modified his saddle to sit modtly on one side/cheek.

bridgeman said:
I've studied the end of stage 12 several times and was always struck by how stressed Contador was looking. I don't see anything that makes me think he is holding back. He looks genuinely cooked to me.

Not cooked (Gesink was cooked). But a little bit off. You are getting stressed when you´re form isn´t there.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
No_Balls said:
By the alps his chances is maybe out of the window. He has to capitalize now.

Agree, but I sense that was the strategy going in.
Now things are different.
Contador crashed, knee pain, saddle sores, and struggling.

Big mistake if they dont put time in now.

But they do have to conserve energy because the last week is ridiculous.
Having the long and only ITT the day after an epic climbing stage and one ending on Alpe D'Huez is just stupid.

TRENDING THREADS