• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour of California host cities announced

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Solvang...

As I understand it the Solvang TT course will be different in '11 but still the same. The traditional route will be used with the addition of ~6-8 additional miles in the middle section.

For those familiar with the area the addition is rumored to split off in Los Olivos, go out Foxen Canyon Road, up the "Dump Hill" past the landfill, descend to the Foxen/Zaca Mesa intersection, left on Zaca Mesa to 154, and 154 back to the base of the Ballard Canyon Climb.

Should add a bit of excitement to the route as the "Dump Hill" is ~1 mile at ~6% (or so) and Zaca Mesa/154 offer a few undulations. All in all, I think a good addition to the "traditional" route. Only time will tell...

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
metsusna said:
The name should describe the actual tour. Once in all the years of the ToC has it been routed below Los Angeles. Half the people in Ca live below Los Angeles!! If you're not going to cover the whole state then call it what it is. Tour of Northern California.

I am interested in your math. If I add up the population of the counties typically thought of as being So Cal (Ventura, LA, Orange, Riverside, San Berd, San Diego, imperial) take out Ventura as it is north of Los Angeles and I take out the city of Los Angeles you lose about 4.5 million people. That leaves about 14 million south of LA and 22 million north of LA. If I take out cities in LA county that are north of LA, the 22 million gets larger and the 14 million gets smaller.

I agree with another poster that trying to work a route in Orange County is difficult. An event I volunteered at had a real hard time dealing with all the different agencies.

I had heard about the San Diego issues a couple years ago. I don't know if they applied to host the race. I think it would be interested to see which cities applied and were denied. I know my region hasn't hosted recently in part due to the finances needed to participate.

auscyclefan94 said:
where do you live, brodeal? If your above 5000 feet then it is a fair assumption that you are a cave man!;)

Dude, to get below 4200 feet anywhere within reasonable distance from me you would have to dig a hole. I go higher than the highest elevation in Australia pretty much every time I ride.

When the Great Flood comes, you aussies will beg to come here and we will consider it...maybe.