• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a Espana Stage 14:Astorga → La Farrapona. Lagos de Somiedo, 173km

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good rides by Taaramae and Cobo but it looks as though Sky has the race won. Mollema and Menchov don't seem to have the legs to attack Wiggins and Froome. Nibali has been up and down since the race started and Rodriguez is a day to day proposition. Rodriguez is a great rider but he will never win a grand tour. He would be better off aiming for the KOM and stage wins. Fuglsang and Kessiakoff can no longer win. Cobo and Nibali will probably try something tomorrow but I don't think they will crack the Sky riders.

Considering the severity of his injuries in the TDF, VDB has done well. Neither Wiggins or Froome have looked like they were in big trouble on the climbs and I would be surprised if that changed now. If Froome is not a super-domestique, I don't know who is.

Great ride by Rein, although it's a shame that team tactics meant that de la Fuente couldn't go head to head with him. Katusha and Movistar at least tried, but did not succeed. Cobo looks threatening and Bauke is still hanging in there. Froome and Wiggins looked strong and today they definitely moved into pole position. They played a cool game waiting for the last 3k. Not that surprised that JRod got drooped at the end, but Nibbles :eek:

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
1 more Climb for Wiggins.. Can He handle the Gradient?... After todays showing Looks Likely.. When the Pain kicks in All the rest look in more trouble than Brad Anyway . Don't win Olympic medals without a touch of Class..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Neither Wiggins or Froome have looked like they were in big trouble on the climbs and I would be surprised if that changed now. If Froome is not a super-domestique, I don't know who is.

I thought Wiggins looked totally wasted at the finish.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
3wheeler said:
1 more Climb for Wiggins.. Can He handle the Gradient?... After todays showing Looks Likely.. When the Pain kicks in All the rest look in more trouble than Brad Anyway . Don't win Olympic medals without a touch of Class..

2 more climbs.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Very impressed by Froome and Wiggins today and if anything surprised by Nibali and Rodriguez. Good to see Mollema hanging in too.

Will be interesting to see how they fare on the Angliru.

Scirea said:
I thought Wiggins looked totally wasted at the finish.

Yes he did but I think he has a point to prove. He has been incredibly consistent in this race. I think he and Froome recover quickly from these efforts. So far better than their opposition it seems. It's been a hard race to predict so far. Nibali was the surprise for me today.

3wheeler said:

Folks write off the third week at their peril. It's not as easy as some think.
Complacency, illness or fatigue can still factor.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm just stating facts here.

He has never gotten stronger as a GT progresses. It's an observation. Nothing negative about the way he has ridden here. He has shown a lot of heart but I don't think he is in the right shape to win this Vuelta

Well his greatest stage and performance was the very last mountain stage last year on Bola del Mundo. He had lost time on earlier lesser climbs but going into that steep finale he really did bring it.

zapata said:
Well, what did he answer? I always felt Contador belongs with Unzue, not astana or saxo.

He said he would like to bring Contador into the project but Alberto has a contract with Saxobank.

Descender said:
Who? Herrada?

Nah Cobo.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
just finished watching.

awesome by wiggo and froome, brilliant.
Wiggo looks very strong, I think he has this now. Kudos. He did look wrecked at the end tho. Still, freakin awesome. respect.

Cobo a massive threat on the steep stuff tho. Probably the best climber at this race.

Nibbles fail. Jrod disappointing again.

And of course Mollema, in a great position to get a podium. Awesome.
Also poels awesome.

cant wait for tomorrow.

also a great cap off to a pretty excellent season for rein.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Yes he did but I think he has a point to prove. He has been incredibly consistent in this race. I think he and Froome recover quickly from these efforts. So far better than their opposition it seems. It's been a hard race to predict so far. Nibali was the surprise for me today.

Okay, here is my point: Wiggins finished 20 seconds behind Cobo and it happened in large part thanks to Froome imo who did incredible work when Cobo attacked. And today they raced for how much, 4km? If Wiggins was wasted at the finish today, hell is waiting for him tomorrow.

3wheeler said:
Correction: 2 more climbs for Wiggins.

You are completely forgetting there is still Pena Cabarga in the final week ;)

The Hitch said:
Well his greatest stage and performance was the very last mountain stage last year on Bola del Mundo. He had lost time on earlier lesser climbs but going into that steep finale he really did bring it.
I know someone would come up with Bola del Mundo, but there the opposition he had there isn't known for their awesome recuperation.. Peter Velits, Fränk Schleck, Nicolas Roche and again our friend J-Rod... maybe only Mosquera gets better day by day. The others not so much

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I know someone would come up with Bola del Mundo, but there the opposition he had there isn't known for their awesome recuperation.. Peter Velits, Fränk Schleck, Nicolas Roche and again our friend J-Rod... maybe only Mosquera gets better day by day. The others not so much

Well... I suspected Nibali would attack on the descent before Angliru, now it's almost forced if he still wanna try to win the Vuelta. Could really animate the race!

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Climbing said:
Well... I suspected Nibali would attack on the descent before Angliru, now it's almost forced if he still wanna try to win the Vuelta. Could really animate the race!

he looks finished to me. unless he eats a whole lot of pasta tonight, he is done. maybe not even top 10 now.

we will see.

TRENDING THREADS