• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a Espana Stage 18: Solares - Noja 174,6 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Sagan, or someone obscure from the break. GVA was a decent shout. Gasparotto might be another. I could see Leakygas pulling more than Sky tomorrow.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Duartista said:
Should have, should've. Sorry for the pedantry.

Just "should get", in fact.

180px-Grammar-Nazi-1613.png

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I hope they start riding like madman on the earlier climbs, like Alisas climb :cool:

I'd like to see them ride a fast pace early on so that by the time they hit Alisas they are already tired. It would allow another Cobo V. Froome duel!

I wanna see a lead-out train for Froome with Cobo on his wheel and a strait out mad dash to the line!:D

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't expect Froome or Sky to do much today but rather save energy for an assault tomorrow. Besides the only team mate capable of isolating Cobo - by that I mean with just Menchov - is too busy trying to get a podium.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
A finish in Beranga would have made this an even better stage but might be fun if someone really wants to make it hard. Don't expect it though.

Sagan should be able to hang on over the climbs or stay close enough to get back during the descents so I think he is the favourite.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
ACF will most likely overlook this post. :rolleyes:
Why would I say that when Duartista is correct. I was mrerly pointing out what he should have done. Just Mathias Frank should go in the breaks when they go and not make a mid stage attack to bridge up to them which wastes energy.

Duartista said:
Should have, should've. Sorry for the pedantry.

Sagan or a break ftw. Liquigas may just back Peter for the win and ride on the front.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins and a few sky teammates could possibly throw in a Few Big Attacks to sew the seeds of Panic into the Geox Guys over the Next Few Days.. Maybe Froome or the Rabobank Guys can take Advantage then.. This is where the Director Sportifs earn there Bread.. Still its been a Good Race whatever the Outcome...

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Can´t be bothered starting a new thread but TSF or any other Brad watchers - does he ever get out of the saddle when climbing ?

Yes he is a power climber/tempo what ever you want to call it, but even Basso, Dennis, Evans have a change of gear and do get out of the saddle.

Just watched yesterdays finish again and have noticed it more and more lately -he seems so programmed this is how I climb.

Thoughts

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
You Can bet hes tried other Methods.. But knowing how they Analyse things at Manchester I guess they Figure its the Best Style that delivers the Optimum Performance.. Probably will lose out Slightly to Gifted Climbers but not Losing Massive chunks of Time on a regular basis..

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
just some guy said:
Can´t be bothered starting a new thread but TSF or any other Brad watchers - does he ever get out of the saddle when climbing ?

Yes he is a power climber/tempo what ever you want to call it, but even Basso, Dennis, Evans have a change of gear and do get out of the saddle.

Just watched yesterdays finish again and have noticed it more and more lately -he seems so programmed this is how I climb.

Thoughts

Very rarely; so much so that when he got out of the saddle on the Angliru it was noticeable. This was a little after Cobo had pulled away.

timecheck 23:20 on the Stage 15 video on TSFs site

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Can't see Sky doing anything today with Froome or Wiggins. There's no real opportunities for bonus seconds or a stage win. Tomorrow is a better chance for them.

If I were them I'd put a guy in the break and go for another stage win. Maybe a day for Zandio, Lofkvist or Stannard.

I've just had to return early from my holiday with an inner ear infection - nausea is not a good idea when climbing munroes.

Anyhow, has that miserable prat Cineteq been seen since Sunday, given his repeated quoting of anyone saying Wiggins might do OK so that he can 'save the evidence to mock afterwards'.

What a total tool - I sincerely hope he's too embarassed to show his face.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The classic strategy he could adopt would be to claim Wiggins' performance was asterisked, put to wide use to by those claiming he would crack on each stage following the time trial in the Dauphine. Options obviously include weak field, weak course, or clinic (others may be available).

Big break has 1.40. Moncoutie is not in, but Montaguti is. And Purito.

Purito Rodrígez (Katusha), Kiserlovski, Jufre (Astana), Paulinho (RadioShack), Haussler (Garmin-Cervélo), León Sánchez (Rabobank), Gavazzi (Lampre), Vandewalle, Malacarne (Quick Step), Montaguti (AG2R), Kohler (BMC), De Greef (Omega Pharma), Oroz (Euskaltel), Sijmens (Cofidis), Geniez, Timmer (Skil), Gustov (Saxo Bank)

Zaugg DNS