• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a Espana, Stage 21: Circuito del Jarama - Madrid, 94km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
zapata said:
He won on the Zoncolan, and he won the very different stage to Bilbao. A good year, all in all. GC-wise he did nothing, and I know every spaniard wants to be a stage racer, but maybe he'd better focus on stages and one day races? Like Rodriguez, really..

I think it's still too early to write him off of the Vuelta. I have a firm belief that he will come through with a grand tour win in the coming years. Maybe I'm just a sucker or naive but for whatever reason, I still think he is capable.

Angliru said:
I think it's still too early to write him off of the Vuelta. I have a firm belief that he will come through with a grand tour win in the coming years. Maybe I'm just a sucker or naive but for whatever reason, I still think he is capable.

He is definitely capable. He's just a bit fragile and sometimes inconsistent.

You know who else is a bit fragile and often inconsistent? Juan José Cobo.

Antón has plenty of chance of rectifying the missing GT results from his career.

Descender said:
What is his excuse for his lackluster Giro then? Antón has been touted as a GTs candidate for ages, and he keeps falling short time and time again, despite quite obviously having the talent.

"Ages" can be interpretted as a very long time.;) I would say for maybe the past couple of years anything before that, considering how slow Euskaltel develops their riders, is just rushing it a bit. He still has ample time to prove you right or wrong. I'm leaning towards him doing the latter but of course I'm a bit biased.:)

Angliru said:
"Ages" can be interpretted as a very long time.;) I would say for maybe the past couple of years anything before that, considering how slow Euskaltel develops their riders, is just rushing it a bit. He still has ample time to prove you right or wrong. I'm leaning towards him doing the latter but of course I'm a bit biased.:)

Of course he has ample time to prove me wrong. Hell, it used to be an accepted fact that Novak Djokovic was a mental midget against Federer and Nadal...