• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Gilbert:Genghis Khan-like total annihilation of the classics?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which of those races will be freshly put in Phil's palmares this season?

• Giro dell'Emilia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
20 meters on Zoncolan is how many meters on a bump like in CSS?

Where did I ever diss Basso's Giro performance? What he did on Zoncolan was pretty impressive given his age.

That's the thing though, attacks like the one Gilbert does are more devastating and leave a bigger impression upon the beholder because it happened in a short span of time, but Basso still put in an attack at the Zoncolan lol. It's just less impressive to look at(in my opinion at least).

I wonder how'd you do in military warfare. A siege wouldn't be an attack. Hell, WW I was a war without someone attacking apparently(trench warfare, slow advancements) according to that logic.

Trench warfare = Basso
Blitzkrieg = Gilbert

El Pistolero said:

Where did I ever diss Basso's Giro performance? What he did on Zoncolan was pretty impressive given his age.

I never said you dissed Basso. Putting words into my mouth.
I wonder how'd you do in military warfare. A siege wouldn't be an attack. Hell, WW I was a war without someone attacking apparently(trench warfare, slow advancements) according to that logic.

Personally I cant speak for military warfare. How they use their own terms its up to them and has nothing to do with cycling.

Though thanks for once again reminding us that you are approaching the issue from the wrong side. You talk about the military. You use the English dictionary. You say its logical and mock me for not understanding logic.

But none of those things have to do with cycling.

In cycling, in english attack means a short quick burst of speed.

It may sound ilogical to you, it might sound illogical to those in the military just coming into cycling, but in cycling thats how it is.
Michielveedeebee said:
Jesus are you guys still at it?

About 50% of my posts come from arguments with Pisti;)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

That's the thing though, attacks like the one Gilbert does are more devastating and leave a bigger impression upon the beholder because it happened in a short span of time, but Basso still put in an attack at the Zoncolan lol. It's just less impressive to look at(in my opinion at least).

Trench warfare = Basso
Blitzkrieg = Gilbert

A siege has an attacker and a defender. It's an attack just not a very interesting or rapid one. Actually a bit like Frank schlock in last year's TdF.

El Pistolero said:
Trench warfare = Basso
Blitzkrieg = Gilbert

Stuka dive bomber= Cavendish.
The Enola Gays' carryload= Contador.

Evans and Basso going at it was more atttritional with 14 prior days also influencing the outcome. For Gilbert it is like a ferocious hammer and tongs battle on an even playing field.

And yes i agree with @ The Hitch that in cycling in the English phrase it's a quick sudden offense, designed to exploit weakness.

I actually think he will have a decent crack at the Olympics.

He will have to ride the Tour for Cadel, so he will be 'training' and have to be in decent shape ... so I think he will have a pretty good go at it.

Would love to see him win :D

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
People will be riding like they rode against Spartacus. Ie. the goal becomes not to win, but to make sure Gilbert doesn't win - breaks will go and everyone will just look at him (and whatever team mates he has left) to reel them back in.

Zerak-Tul said:
People will be riding like they rode against Spartacus. Ie. the goal becomes not to win, but to make sure Gilbert doesn't win - breaks will go and everyone will just look at him (and whatever team mates he has left) to reel them back in.

Yes, Gilbert may not like it but he will have to send Ballan, GVA in breakaways.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Yes, Gilbert may not like it but he will have to send Ballan, GVA in breakaways.

Ballan, Van Avermaet and Evans' job will be to bring everything back for Gilbert, not to mark moves themselves.

Panda Claws said:
There will be a Genghis-Khan like annihilation of GVA though.

Yeah, totally agree

I dont think Phil likes GVA that much.

I dont think its going to be a good year for him. People have said "oh he will get the chance to go in breaks etc" .... but I just dont see that he will have that many chances to actually win. He will be busy marking moves, bringing back breaks and generally having to kiss Phil's @ss

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Is he going to do Vuelta to get form for it?

no way does Evans play a bring riders back role for Gillbert unless its like 5 seconds for the cameras.

Then what did he do in Copa Sabatini and Il Lombardia in 2009?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
that hardly means evans will do the same this year. Evans is more comfortable at bmc, he is the tdf champ with success in one day races himself. I think BMC should at least give evans freedom, and i suspect evans -knowing the chatchter he is- would expect the same.

El Pistolero said:
That's the thing though, attacks like the one Gilbert does are more devastating and leave a bigger impression upon the beholder because it happened in a short span of time, but Basso still put in an attack at the Zoncolan lol. It's just less impressive to look at

only for the short minded.

No way has gilbert done any attack as impressive as Bassos on the zonc. IMO anyway. But that depends on the individual.

No doubt gilbert has impressive attacks, and is probaly the most glorified attacker of the current generation of cyclists.

Anyway I really hope gilbert is pegged back a bit this year. I like the guy, but I like unpredictable cycling better.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
only for the short minded.

No way has gilbert done any attack as impressive as Bassos on the zonc. IMO anyway.

No doubt gilbert has impressive attacks, and is probaly the most glorified attacker of the current generation of cyclists.

Anyway I really hope gilbert is pegged back a bit this year. I like the guy, but I like unpredictable cycling better.

I found Gilbert @ Lombardia 2010 overall more impressive than Basso @ Zoncolan stage, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Though I'm pretty confident most people prefer explosive cyclists over diesels, even if it is a personal preference. That's why I said most people are more impressed with the explosive attacks.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
that hardly means evans will do the same this year. Evans is more comfortable at bmc, he is the tdf champ with success in one day races himself. I think BMC should at least give evans freedom, and i suspect evans -knowing the chatchter he is- would expect the same.

All interviews seem to suggest otherwise. Just like Gilbert will help Evans at the Tour, even if people here claim to know he won't help... Mind you, Evans won't be sacrificed before the finale of LBL, but if Gilbert has the same legs as last year he'll have to work for Phil in LBL.

Evans will get freedom at the stage races, he doesn't need more. He's happy with leadership in T-A, Catalunya, Pais Vasco, Dauphiné and the Tour. Maybe even Flèche Wallonne.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I found Gilbert @ Lombardia 2010 overall more impressive than Basso @ Zoncolan stage, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Though I'm pretty confident most people prefer explosive cyclists over diesels, even if it is a personal preference. That's why I said most people are more impressed with the explosive attacks.

well you are right with each to thier own opinion.

I find the excitiment for specific stages or races ussually climaxes around the steepest climbs to be honest, if cn is to be measured anyway. Go figure. It's easier to associate attack with explosivness i suppose, as distance can be covered more quickly. But I don't think that makes it more impressive, and in the past I have found the attacks on steep terrain to leave a lasting impression.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
well you are right with each to thier own opinion.

I find the excitiment for specific stages or races ussually climaxes around the steepest climbs to be honest, if cn is to be measured anyway. Go figure. It's easier to associate attack with explosivness i suppose, as distance can be covered more quickly. But I don't think that makes it more impressive, and in the past I have found the attacks on steep terrain to leave a lasting impression.

Contador
Rodriguez
= explosive

I don't mean explosiveness limited to hills :p

Admittedly, I'm not really a fan of climbs like Angliru and Zoncolan. I like faster climbs like Etna :)

TRENDING THREADS