• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia, May 11th, Stage 6: Urbino - Porto Sant'Elpidio 207km

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"good" and "interesting" stage?

Was I watching a different stage? I'm usually pretty large on especially the flat stages - at least compared to others in here - but when you consider this course today it was absolutely dreadful. Even upsetting.

DominicDecoco said:

Was I watching a different stage? I'm usually pretty large on the flat stages but when you consider this course today it was absolutely dreadful.

Several people drop out wasn't that interesting? and the suspense for who was going to wear the maglia rosa was also good.

DominicDecoco said:

Was I watching a different stage? I'm usually pretty large on especially the flat stages - at least compared to others in here - but when you consider this course today it was absolutely dreadful. Even upsetting.
What were you expecting?
I expected a little bit more by Farnese and BMC. But, on the other hand, expected nothing to come out for the break. This wasn't supposed to be a Ronde-like race. It's the sixth stage of a GT and the 90% of the peloton is built for high mountains OR pan flat stages.

Real losers of the day:
BMC (they don't stand a chance in GC and they could've won this with Ballan)
Movistar (really WTF?)
Colnago (is anybody in there? hellooooo??)
and Farnese (but hey they couldn't have done anything, they were just unlucky with Balloni)

also AG2R since they have lots of time to regain...but they're just embarassing.

Eshnar said:
What were you expecting?
I expected a little bit more by Farnese and BMC. But, on the other hand, expected nothing to come out for the break. This wasn't supposed to be a Ronde-like race. It's the sixth stage of a GT and the 90% of the peloton is built for high mountains OR pan flat stages.

The thing is. Tommorrow is not really that hard.

With temperatures like today and fantastic hills - a bit of pace would have done wonders. There were alot riders out there who were absoutely hammered. I have no idea what Garmin and Pozzato were thinking of today. Garmin could have kept the pink if they bothered, really.

DominicDecoco said:
I have no idea what Garmin and Pozzato was thinking of today. Garmin could have kept the pink if they bothered, really.

About Garmin they'll probably get the pink tomorrow with no stress. Anyway **** you Vaughters.

About Pozzato...the peloton just needed teams like BMC or Movistar to pull, Farnese couldn't just do it.

togo95 said:
I agree with DominicDecoco. This stage could have seen much smaller bunch than 96 riders in the end.
Product of tough intermediate parcour and Garmin not really intereted in, or up to, keeping the jersey.
I assume folks are a bit deflated by the lack of action on a course that offered a chance to cause an explosion.

I suggest that the third week is casting a large shadow over the peloton.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Nicely done Bernie Eisel - I'm sure it was all totally under control

Quite enjoyable but thought the one day riders like Cunego Ballan etc would have backed themselves a bit more for the stage and pink jersey

Still what is good for Savio, is good for cycling...

DominicDecoco said:
The thing is. Tommorrow is not really that hard.

With temperatures like today and fantastic hills - a bit of pace would have done wonders. There were alot riders out there who were absoutely hammered. I have no idea what Garmin and Pozzato was thinking of today. Garmin could have kept the pink if they bothered, really.
Pozzato couldn't pull all alone... his team got missing :confused:
BMC is the only team that could have tried to win. Garmin clearly didn't want to (and suddenly changed their mind in the end)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
Baffles me when people are glad that they won't see the world's best riders.

Didn't see the Cav group. Everything calculated and under control or panic that they wouldn't do it?

Perhaps some people don't think he's the world's best rider when he comes in 33 minutes behind on a stage.

Anyway, it would make the flat stages definitely more interesting to watch, so that's the reason why some people want him out.

I personally just wanted to see his reaction after he missed the time cut and the organizers inevitably decide to put him back in the race. ;)

Eshnar said:
Pozzato couldn't pull all alone... his team got missing :confused:
BMC is the only team that could have tried to win. Garmin clearly didn't want to (and suddenly changed their mind in the end)

I saw plenty of Farnesi riders in that peloton. Obviously they couldn't do the work by themselves but they definitely didn't give it a go either. Basso and Leaky looks so strong at the moment as well. They too did nothing.

DominicDecoco said:
I saw plenty of Farnesi riders in that peloton. Obviously they couldn't do the work by themselves but they definitely didn't give it a go either. Basso and Leaky looks so strong at the moment as well. They too did nothing.
Wait. You expected Basso to attack in such a stage? :confused:
I saw very few Farnese guys up front actually. Even Gatto disappeared.

TRENDING THREADS