• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia, May 11th, Stage 6: Urbino - Porto Sant'Elpidio 207km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
Anyway, it would make the flat stages definitely more interesting to watch, so that's the reason why some people want him out.

OK, gotcha. Shall be just ban Cav, Boonen, Contador, Gilbert if he's in 2011 form, Cancellara if he's in 2010 form and Tony Martin from TTs, full stop, just for your enjoyment? Again, I can't get my head around this idea that it has to be really close to be entertaining. That's fine, but I enjoy seeing a master at work, and feel sorry for those who can't appreciate that.

Explain this to a guy following another sport. Yeah our current world champion cycling finished in the laughing group today because he can't actually climb. He finished 30 minutes behind the best.

Nobody would understand in their right mind how you can call it a world champion

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Explain this to a guy following another sport. Yeah our current world champion cycling finished in the laughing group today because he can't actually climb. He finished 30 minutes behind the best.

Nobody would understand in their right mind how you can call it a world champion

For balance, explain to them also how the best GT rider might finish last in a flat stage and how the best climber might finish last in the sport's biggest one day race. I've done this many times, and anybody with an IQ of over 50 has understood straight away.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

What if Gilbert had won?

Honestly, if that guy doesn't even understand the basics of cycling, I don't care if the concept of WC is hard for them to understand.

In other news, about the only semi-important riders who lost time are Serpa (injured, +16 minutes) and Carrara (crashed, +21 minutes).

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Only if they were a bit dim

Usain Bolt in the 10000m - if they're still not getting it then give up

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
And how Gilbert and Cancellara, two cyclists in the discussion for best cyclist in the world, both missed the time limit in the 2011 Tour de France.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Yeah, that analogy would work the day you ask, say an NFL quarterback to play defensive lineman. Or a soccer striker to play goalie.

Please.

People specialize within sports, cycling is no different.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hatcher said:
And how Gilbert and Cancellara, two cyclists in the discussion for best cyclist in the world, both missed the time limit in the 2011 Tour de France.

Cancellara was sick and Gilbert was laughing all the way because he knew he would be put back in the race. If the time limit was actually ever enforced on a big name he wouldn't have missed it. But these riders know they can miss the time limit as long as they're in a big group.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Cancellara was sick and Gilbert was laughing all the way because he knew he would be put back in the race. If the time limit was actually ever enforced on a big name he wouldn't have missed it. But these riders know they can miss the time limit as long as they're in a big group.

Oh well as long as Gilbert was laughing all the way. That isn't even more disgraceful.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hatcher said:
Oh well as long as Gilbert was laughing all the way. That isn't even more disgraceful.

Every rider thinks like that because they know how to evade the time cut. Your little friend Mark Cavendish uses this trick a lot more than Gilbert, trust me. ;)

If it was up to me I'd throw them all out unless they have a valid reason for missing the time cut(mechanical, crashes, illness, etc), but you can't throw out big names if you want to be in the media for 3 weeks. ;)

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Zerak-Tul said:
Yeah, that analogy would work the day you ask, say an NFL quarterback to play defensive lineman. Or a soccer striker to play goalie.

Please.

People specialize within sports, cycling is no different.

But cycling is different.

You'd never expect Barcelona to lose 8-0 to Osasuna.
Magdalena Neuner would not finish dead last in the race that she finishes even on a horrible off-day.
Hockey and basketball and so on - well, you can have a top team get destroyed by a ****ty team, but you would not expect them to be destroyed like that 50% of the time, which is roughly the amount of stages Cav finishes in the autobus.

So yeah, cycling is different

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
OK, gotcha. Shall be just ban Cav, Boonen, Contador, Gilbert if he's in 2011 form, Cancellara if he's in 2010 form and Tony Martin from TTs, full stop, just for your enjoyment? Again, I can't get my head around this idea that it has to be really close to be entertaining. That's fine, but I enjoy seeing a master at work, and feel sorry for those who can't appreciate that.

None of these riders have dominated their field for four years. Classics are more unpredictable and enjoyable than your average little flat stage. Besides, I never said I agreed with those people. :rolleyes:

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

+1

I try to explain this to my non-cycling sports frends who follow baseball and soccer but they can't grasp this concept.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
nickel999 said:
+1

I try to explain this to my non-cycling sports frends who follow baseball and soccer but they can't grasp this concept.

Really? Ask them how good a keeper Messi is, or how good a pitcher Albert Pujols is.

nickel999 said:
+1

They can't understand that some riders are good at some things and bad at others, and some riders are vice-versa? And in a 3 week race, you get both of these things happening, so the riders will get opportunities to be good and bad. And in a WC, which is a 1 day race, the race could be either of these things, so this will determine which riders will do well.

It's really easy to explain and understand. For the record, my 6 year old daughter gets it.

TRENDING THREADS