• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
As everything seems to be finishing in a bunch sprint, Lucy Garner describing the Cauberg as 'easier than expected'.....rumours are circulating that cav is actually seriously up for this...and he and GB are bluffing...

Unlikely, but I would love that. :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Andy99 said:
As everything seems to be finishing in a bunch sprint, Lucy Garner describing the Cauberg as 'easier than expected'.....rumours are circulating that cav is actually seriously up for this...and he and GB are bluffing...

Unlikely, but I would love that. :)

Of course it's easy with a lame distance like that.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
No way it'll be a bunch sprint of 40,50 guys. Maybe 20 but not more.

You forget that there's the spanish team who needs to make the race hard. If they pull each time on the cauberg like crazy men the likes of Boonen won't survive.

But they've to go each time. Moreno can do it a few times, sami aswell. And depending on the shape people like contador, purito and freire have, they can do it aswell.

But it depends on their shape like i said, they've to sacrifice some, let's hope they'll do it soon enough and not wait for the last 2 laps cause then I don't think they can gap Boonen much for example.

I think Boonen can hold it on for a few times, but not 5,6 times unless he has a real superday.

I really can't wait to see the spanish train on the cauberg, should be quite a sight. Flecha on first position, then moreno, sami, purito, contador, piti and freire.

Superawesome :p

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
No way it'll be a bunch sprint of 40,50 guys. Maybe 20 but not more.

You forget that there's the spanish team who needs to make the race hard. If they pull each time on the cauberg like crazy men the likes of Boonen won't survive.

But they've to go each time. Moreno can do it a few times, sami aswell. And depending on the shape people like contador, purito and freire have, they can do it aswell.

But it depends on their shape like i said, they've to sacrifice some, let's hope they'll do it soon enough and not wait for the last 2 laps cause then I don't think they can gap Boonen much for example.

I think Boonen can hold it on for a few times, but not 5,6 times unless he has a real superday.

I really can't wait to see the spanish train on the cauberg, should be quite a sight. Flecha on first position, then moreno, sami, purito, contador, piti and freire.

Superawesome :p

Sure, Boonen might drop late in the race, but don't count on it. Even if the spanish team go hard on Cauberg, Boonen shouldn't panic, his teammates can bring it back on the easier section between Cauberg and Bemelerberg. Cauberg is too short and not hard enough to open up a larger gap. Or so I believe.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Falken said:
Sure, Boonen might drop late in the race, but don't count on it. Even if the spanish team go hard on Cauberg, Boonen shouldn't panic, his teammates can bring it back on the easier section between Cauberg and Bemelerberg. Cauberg is too short and not hard enough to open up a larger gap. Or so I believe.

Of course if that happens they'll him bring back but you missed the point.

They've to fatigue him, that's it. And not only him, people like degenkolb too.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I say a much as a 50% chance of a smaller group, 3 or 4, will emerge. It comes down to the the most effective team on the 10 circuits and a team without an effective power/sprinter will not want to drag them to the line or even the base of the last time up the Cauberg. This course does not favour a Boonen. I say ten times up it will be very selective and not to Tom's liking.

Miburo said:
They've to fatigue him, that's it. And not only him, people like degenkolb too.

they need to, yes - but if so: who's gonna beat Gilbert and/or Sagan? I still think there best chance to go for the win is Freire, and therefor they can't make the race too hard. Valverde and Rodriguez might have a good chance to grap a medal if the race is hard, but I can't see them win.