• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
A massive chapeau to Phillipe Gilbert.

This world championships win was the win he has coveted most of all and for him to get it in such style is magnificent. The context of his win makes it all the most special as he could have bowed out like Cancellara after the masses of disappointment he has been forced to endure this year. Yet instead he has fought on and he made himself ride the Vuelta with the sole purpose of it being a warm up for these world championships. The drive and determination he has demonstrated in order to continue to race in such a positive manner is unbelievable. He may have portrayed some frustration at times, but to me that has merely served to accentuate the impressiveness of his win as he has proved himself capable of coming back from lows and continuing to aim high.

Additionally the masses of expectation from his country ,who have given him such a hard time this year, has surely been very difficult for him to manage. Yet he has handled the criticism brilliantly and even though it may have harmed other riders, he has stood firm and determined.

His story this season is the epitome of what real bike racing is all about, to go out there and really and truly want to win, is something which was much more prominent in days gone by. But Gilbert has had the tenacious and obstinate nature to delve deep in and truly want to win the World champs and for that I applaud him.

awesome race.grande phil! he just saved his season with a devastating attack

by the way,fastest cauberg ever,1:25 after some 260 km at 43,5 km/h.

i loved the last 70 kms!
nice to see kolobnev again in the mix
JTL unfortunately lacks the engine for 260 km.next year though it will be something else...anyway he did extremely well until the last ascent.it was a superb race by him

about valverde,i just hope he will get his gold medal next year or in 2014.this time,he wasn't the strongest but still very impressive
hagen,both with stannard they will strike hard in the next spring that's for sure

about italia....i'm sorry for this but just like at the last worlds,i enjoy their defeat.a lot. bettini the traitor should leave the team immediately. and the disgrace di rocco should take a walk too...that's where your nonsense brought you........invite the killer at florenza or rot in hell!!!

again,fantastic worlds.

fantastic phil! _o_

....i've seen ruben written on the asphalt,our own? :D

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
gustienordic said:
Great race to watch :D

Agreed. I really enjoyed watching it today.

Since Phil up until today had a terrible season perhaps the curse of the rainbow jersey will bypass him and he'll have a great 2013 in the world champs jersey!

In fact, lombardy is just around the corner. Could we see the world champ honouring the jersey with a classic victory

will10 said:
Fixed for you. This was one race. How many long ones has he failed in?

Boom managed to ride a good 260km race for the first time in his career this year @ Paris - Roubaix and now he's 5th as well.
It's no garantee, but I'd say EBH is definately getting there and if he does he's capable of winning big races.

jens_attacks said:
awesome race.grande phil! he just saved his season with a devastating attack

by the way,fastest cauberg ever,1:25 after some 260 km at 43,5 km/h.

i loved the last 70 kms!
nice to see kolobnev again in the mix
JTL unfortunately lacks the engine for 260 km.next year though it will be something else...anyway he did extremely well until the last ascent.it was a superb race by him

about valverde,i just hope he will get his gold medal next year or in 2014.this time,he wasn't the strongest but still very impressive
hagen,both with stannard they will strike hard in the next spring that's for sure

about italia....i'm sorry for this but just like at the last worlds,i enjoy their defeat.a lot. bettini the traitor should leave the team immediately. and the disgrace di rocco should take a walk too...that's where your nonsense brought you........invite the killer at florenza or rot in hell!!!

again,fantastic worlds.

fantastic phil! _o_

....i've seen ruben written on the asphalt,our own? :D

Italian Champion...?

When Gilbert made his jump:
cvQ2l.jpg

H0xsM.jpg

32eQb.jpg

Perfect executed by the Belgium team!

TRENDING THREADS