• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2010
Visit site
Gilbert and BMC's biggest victory of the season and of all days I had to miss today:eek:
Was at the Singapore F1 GP btw.
awesome victory for him, he has really saved his season. Time for lombardy and etc...
it will be great to see a rider like Gilbert representing the rainbow bands next season.
What a great week BMC has had, third time lucky!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am still completely puzzled why Iglinsky didn't compete.

After being ensured personally that Olympics and WC are his two main priorities after LBL he didn't compete in either. :confused:

LaFlorecita said:
Alberto didn't need to attack either. He could've waited and then maybe he could've brought Valverde back to Gilbert. But he did attack. And that's why I love him. And he isn't an arrogant slime ball

He attacked because he wasn't good enough to do anything at the finish.

It's a non-issue anyway. Belgium did as GBR did last year, perfect race, and their finisher had the goods.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Where was JTL, I thought he was supposed to win:rolleyes:;)

In a break with Tommy V and Bertie, finished in front big group,got bullied in last lap plus ran out of gas a little.
Did better than expected in all seriousness,great ride

LaFlorecita said:
I wanted them to make the race exciting :) But they didn't. If I want to see people chase the break the whole race long I'll watch the 2012 Tour again.

Their best hope was Gilbert. They rode perfectly and delivered him to the foot of the Cauberg.

Why should they attack left, right and centre when their man is the favourite?

And he didn't win from a bunch sprint. He attacked solo on the Cauberg!:)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto didn't need to attack either. He could've waited and then maybe he could've brought Valverde back to Gilbert. But he did attack. And that's why I love him. And he isn't an arrogant slime ball

Rubbish. Alberto would not have brought back Valverde to Gilbert.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Good attack by Phil.Boasson Hagen did great too;)...but impressive race by Spain 6 of 9 riders attacked in this race,thats a great for fans:).Its a shame for Piti that he was so bad-positioned,but thats his fault:(.4th medal anyway and today from Pat:D