• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Very, very well deserved. Gilbert really committed.

EBH reacted first. Kudos. But then started looking behind.

Degenkolb's a monster for the future. Amazing he was there.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Kudos to Gilbert. Piti was too far away when the climb started.

Purito didn't do ****.

Man of the race is Contador, he attacked 4,5 times. Maybe if he didn't do **** untill the last cauberg he might have done something. At least more than purito.

And again kolobnev in a WC ;)

LaFlorecita said:
Without Spain this race would've been ****. Belgium did nothing.

Yeah sure, they did nothing.. Just set the pace for half of the last 130km...
Doing that and still be 2,3,4,5 at the foot of the cauberg, setting up the leader perfectly..

I don't know what u expected them to do? pull the whole 267 ?

Eshnar said:
:D
Really depressed by Italy's race. :eek:

Yeah what was that all about? Probably a year too early. Nibali still tried, but he isn't gonna win on a course like this, too explosive for him. Counting on Moser next year, good that he was still there at the front on km 265.

LaFlorecita said:
Yeah stupid just like it was stupid that those three didn't want to chase.

That was because they were spent. When Valverde doesn't pip someone for second, you know he can't do anything anymore. However, Gilbert was also spent at that point, but got help from outside.

Shardi said:
Yeah sure, they did nothing.. Just set the pace for half of the last 130km...
Doing that and still be 2,3,4,5 at the foot of the cauberg, setting up the leader perfectly..

I don't know what u expected them to do? pull the whole 267 ?

They could've attacked, but they didn't. Whatever I already knew this was going to happen, thank god for the Spanish otherwise everyone would've waited for the Cauberg

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Valverde is standing there like a boss :cool:

Btw Belgium did a lot in this race, of course they didn't have to ride in the break with Gilbert and Boonen behind.

Common sense flo

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Disagree when they got over the op the gap was still manageable and ebh kept looking back. He should have ridden on.

But yes very strong, about time, he is very talented.
Maybe, but Phil started celebrating with 300 to go. He another kick in the tank I think.

There wasn't much of a gap at the AGR finish, look as though the chasing three would close. But they didn't get organised at all, and decided to race for Silver. Maybe the moto helped there but I didn't see it.

If Cancellara was here, I wonder who he would have towed to Gold.