• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
LOL :D I noticed he finished last from the 5s group. Guess he did a classic Nibali-after-attack-blow-up.

Wow, you're really having to dig deep to find something, don't you? He wasn't brilliant, but did someone ever tell you that Nibali is the worst sprinter in the world? Well, now I have.

Parrulo said:
indeed, the last part of the race was massively disappointing, i guess that's what one get's when there is only 1 real attacking point on the whole circuit :eek:

And a false flat wind section afterwards. Well, we knew this after the U23, didn't we. We actually knew it because we've watched AGR last few years.

Miburo said:
Kudos to Gilbert. Piti was too far away when the climb started.

Purito didn't do ****.

Man of the race is Contador, he attacked 4,5 times. Maybe if he didn't do **** untill the last cauberg he might have done something. At least more than purito.

And again kolobnev in a WC ;)

Lol people behind Contador were braking when he tried to attack. Had to laugh when Voeckler leisurely went past him at one point.

Arnout said:
Yeah what was that all about? Probably a year too early. Nibali still tried, but he isn't gonna win on a course like this, too explosive for him. Counting on Moser next year, good that he was still there at the front on km 265.
Moser said on TV he had some cramps before the end but then it was quite all right. It's a pity they decide to put all their hopes in Nibali, he's never gonna win this. Moser had still more chances than him.

LaFlorecita said:
They could've attacked, but they didn't. Whatever I already knew this was going to happen, thank god for the Spanish otherwise everyone would've waited for the Cauberg

Why would they..? Boonen needs a sprint, gilbert needs to be top5 at the last cauberg. They had riders in most of the late breaks, always at the front, animating things...
For them to earn the win, would they need a rider to go solo on the 2nd/3rd to last cauberg, outlasting the rest of the contenders or?

LaFlorecita said:
Wow they chased, woohoo.. exciting..

You can't really blame them for riding a tactically perfect race. Blame Italy, Holland or Australia for not attacking more. The Cauberg once every 15 km isn't selective enough to make attacking pay off very often.

Honoustly, the WC don't have to come back to this country untill that mountain is built:cool:

Ferminal said:
There wasn't much of a gap at the AGR finish, look as though the chasing three would close. But they didn't get organised at all, and decided to race for Silver. Maybe the moto helped there but I didn't see it.

If Cancellara was here, I wonder who he would have towed to Gold.

Yeah he was helped on the flat (well, 1-2%) section after the top of the Cauberg. Most important moment in the race, difference between just being able to pull through or not being able to. Will be clear when replays come online. Not more than 5m from the motor.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
And the list of World Champions riding for BMC continues to grow. There are what, 4 of them now?

I can't be happier for Gilbert, what a comeback to such a crap season for him. And I secretly knew Boom would be a dark horse, but I kept it to myself, and I didn't expect him to reach top 5, to be honest. Great WC for the Dutch Elite men and women.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Good winner, bit of a boring race. Most of the big names did nothing. Did they all though they could beat Gilbert in a Cauberg sprint?

Anyway, congrats to Bo Hagen, I've had my doubts about him in the past, but he showed today he can battle with the big boys in an important one-day race (although it was easier than your average classic).

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I'm sorry my utter dislike for Gilbert might be showing.

Why do you dislike him?

He always want to race, he's selfish but that's how each champion should be.

He even made fun off the schlecks at LBL 2011 :p

Shardi said:
Why would they..? Boonen needs a sprint, gilbert needs to be top5 at the last cauberg. They had riders in most of the late breaks, always at the front, animating things...
For them to earn the win, would they need a rider to go solo on the 2nd/3rd to last cauberg, outlasting the rest of the contenders or?

Alberto didn't need to attack either. He could've waited and then maybe he could've brought Valverde back to Gilbert. But he did attack. And that's why I love him. And he isn't an arrogant slime ball

TRENDING THREADS